Upcoming Piper Announcement @ SnF

It's quite a leap to say she supports the Sultan just because it isn't addressed in her writing. Besides that, I can do without social commentary in aviation and other subjects. Enough already.

Is the Brunei policy horrible? Absolutely.

Hey if you choose not to exercise any sort of social conscience in spending your money then so be it. Others might appreciate knowing the information about Piper’s owners so that they can exercise their discretion.

Interesting that ATP went Cessna - they do all their multi training in Seminoles. I wonder if they are getting a discount on the obnoxious price Textron lists for a new 172?

I wonder if they are getting a discount on the obnoxious price Textron lists for a new 172?

I can't see why they wouldn't. That's a large enough order that they could be all the production run for a single GA airplane these days.

I can't see why they wouldn't. That's a large enough order that they could be all the production run for a single GA airplane these days.

Ultimately, it's good for the market for these big 141 buyers to buy new planes. It will soften the market for used 172s and Cherokees and allow more trickle into the private market.

Ultimately, it's good for the market for these big 141 buyers to buy new planes. It will soften the market for used 172s and Cherokees and allow more trickle into the private market.

That'll take a few years to trickle to the used market though. Until then it's gonna be more and more difficult for a private owner to get one of the few (kinda) late 172s.

Rental fleet 172s? That s--- ain't gonna move the needle, let alone when the flight schools are done with them.

That's true, but if I worked for Piper I'd find another job hopefully with another aircraft manufacturer.

Perhaps Cirrus? Oh yes, it (and Continental Motors) are wholly owned by the Chinese Government, that bastion of upholding human rights, with its masses of political prisoners and re-education gulags. Brunei is completely irrelevant sideshow in comparison.

Only on POA can we segway from crappy Piper re-branding to human rights violation to ethics of consumer choices in a captive audience market....in. one. thread. I effing love this board! :D

No kidding. :D

Last edited:
That'll take a few years to trickle to the used market though. Until then it's gonna be more and more difficult for a private owner to get one of the few (kinda) late 172s.

Rental fleet 172s? That s--- ain't gonna move the needle, let alone when the flight schools are done with them.

These purchases may well soften the market for used 172s that 141 schools have been snapping up and improving panels on.

100 orders for new 172's is probably driven by all the new flight school students wanting to take advantage of the perceived airline pilot shortage. Also, 100 Skyhawks @ $400,000 is $40,000,000. They have to process a lot of students at that school to cover $40 mill. plus interest on the loan. They are taking on a pretty big risk, but I'm sure they have it all figured out.

Back