Unusual power connector - help needed

peter-h

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
peter-h
Can anyone recognise this 2-pin circular connector

power_connector.jpg

I have asked Positronic and they don't recognise it.

The aircraft is a Diamond DA40-180, made in Canada I believe, about 10 years old.

It's just a 2 amp, 2 pin 28 vdc connector that was probably for some sort of accessory (no telling what) It would be of more use if converted to a standard cigarette lighter port or just eliminated if you already have one.

Call diamond, they have always been very helpful when I have needed information

It's just a 2 amp, 2 pin 28 vdc connector that was probably for some sort of accessory (no telling what) It would be of more use if converted to a standard cigarette lighter port or just eliminated if you already have one.

That's correct. If my memory serves me correct, that served as accessory power to ANR headsets to power the mics. They quickly upgraded to the mini 5 pin XLRs.

What makes this really unusual is the off-centreline contact location.

Every 2-pin connector I have ever seen has the two pins symmetrically located.

What makes this really unusual is the off-centreline contact location.

Every 2-pin connector I have ever seen has the two pins symmetrically located.

That would be to ensure the correct polarity. They need to be off center or the plug needs to be 'D' shaped or have a slot to make sure you can't plug it in backwards.

Normally there would be a keyway.

Relying on the pins to polarise the connector is dodgy, because they will get broken very fast.

Can anyone recognise this 2-pin circular connector

I have asked Positronic and they don't recognise it.

The aircraft is a Diamond DA40-180, made in Canada I believe, about 10 years old.

Do you have the wiring diagram? They often have part #'s for connectors and stuff on them...

Normally there would be a keyway.

Relying on the pins to polarise the connector is dodgy, because they will get broken very fast.

Yes and it looks as though there is a key as well - kind of like wearing a belt and suspenders at the same time but it's been proven time and again that if you try to design something to be idiot proof the universe just designs a better idiot.

Looks like a key on there to me.
Some of the Amphenal connectors in Mouser look similar.

Back