Unnamed airport

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
I came across a weird thing on a sectional. An airport symbol with no associated name to it just SW of AUW, but also not a "closed" symbol either. Going to google maps finds maybe an RC or ultralight field with an old quonset hut on it but it seems strange. Any thoughts?
Capture.JPG

It must be that section of the Wisconsin River running NW-SE that's 8,000' long. Since they're so close both share a beacon and services, although I don't see any dock. Yes, it doesn't have the seaplane base symbol either, I can't explain that part.
The water runway is listed under Airnav as 12W-30W 8,000'.
It does have a turf strip alongside 31-13 too.

Last edited:
The name is to the symbol's upper-left. It was placed in a rather clear area as opposed to obscuring something.

So did the FAA forget the anchor in this symbol?

The second airport symbol is for the water runway and the anchor symbol is missing. The airport dated on the chart indicates the runway elevation and length of the water runway.

So did the FAA forget the anchor in this symbol?
It seems that way as Geoff pointed out, LEE is very similarly depicted but has the anchor. And in both cases, the water runway is depicted on the airport diagram along with the land ones, so probably a part of the airport. It is an odd way to depict it though in my book. The only reason though that LEE might have an anchor and AUW does not is that LEE actually has a seaplane base and not just a water runway. Maybe that is the defining factor.

Lake Hood, Alaska has similar symbols as well, with the anchor. (Can't get the chart to post.)

42B has the anchor (also angled) without a circle.

upload_2022-2-11_13-23-29.png

The name is associated with it.

That is why there are 2 elevations, runway length, frequency under the airport name.

It's a two liner....

Does anyone know how you log a landing at an unnamed location such as an unnamed airport or maybe just some offsite landing?

Just note the location, i.e. "Bob's field", "Podunk gravel bar", whatever.

When I was doing my ASEL it was just "lakes" that I put in my logbook.

No idea which ones.

"Hey land at that one."
"OKAY!"

Does anyone know how you log a landing at an unnamed location such as an unnamed airport or maybe just some offsite landing?

I’m curious. How do you log your landings at places other than an airport when you’re flying a helicopter?

I’d likely use the same approach.

I’m curious. How do you log your landings at places other than an airport when you’re flying a helicopter?

I’d likely use the same approach.
That’s why I ask. I thought there was some three letter code you use to designate an off-site landing. I seem to recall someone mentioning that once years ago but don’t recall the details.

That’s why I ask. I thought there was some three letter code you use to designate an off-site landing. I seem to recall someone mentioning that once years ago but don’t recall the details.

There are identifiers for designated seaplane bases but nothing specific when you land at other locations. Use whatever documentation convention you feel like for those.

OSL?

Back