University of Washington Tour which airport

andybean

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
andybean
Looking for some local knowledge in the Seattle area. Flying in for a college tour at the Seattle campus. Looks like KSEA is the closest airport. Also looks like SEA is the only airport with an ILS approach?
Is it even possible to fly into SEA? The AFD does not say no!

KSEA is closest? A brief look at a sectional will show that isn't true. It's not even in Seattle.

Boeing Field is an option. Real close to I-5, too.

I'd recommend Western Washington (KBLI) or Washington State (KPUW) instead, for reasons that are not politically correct.

And, I'm a Husky!

Looking for some local knowledge in the Seattle area. Flying in for a college tour at the Seattle campus. Looks like KSEA is the closest airport. Also looks like SEA is the only airport with an ILS approach?
I doubt they port will allow you to land sea, if they do, you'll pay a 150 buck landing fee.

land Everett (PAE), rent a car and take the Boeing freeway east to I5 and its 15 minutes to the UW.

Land Bellingham and WWU is on the other side of town down I5 maybe 10 minutes.

Land Seattle, Boeing field down town, it's 10 minutes to I-5 and 15 minutes up to the 45 street exit to the U-Dub.

I have 2 daughters 1 graduated from each state university.

Yep I know how to get to each, I went thru 6 years of " Mama can you bring me a ____.

Last edited:
I'd recommend Western Washington (KBLI) or Washington State (KPUW) instead, for reasons that are not politically correct.

And, I'm a Husky!

I would too, particularly WSU. But, I grew up in Pullman and am a Cougar.

As far as flying into the Seattle area for a visit to the mistake on the lake, KBFI would probably be your best bet. The east side of the field is geared for GA and should have good connections into the city. KSEA isn't as GA friendly (judging from the layout and the fact that I'm through there on the airlines too often).

Enjoy out rain. :D

GO COUGS!!!

If you're touring UW, BFI (Boeing field) is the logical place to land. It's on the southern edge of the city and all of the services you might be interested in (rental cars, good restaurants, public transport to the city) are readily available. If the winds are out of the south, you'll get a great view of the city on the approach. I got my instrument rating at BFI many years ago and they have multiple approaches. That is a good thing because the chance for ceilings that are below VFR minimums is pretty high. Enjoy your tour of the university and the city.

I would too, particularly WSU. But, I grew up in Pullman and am a Cougar.

As far as flying into the Seattle area for a visit to the mistake on the lake, KBFI would probably be your best bet. The east side of the field is geared for GA and should have good connections into the city. KSEA isn't as GA friendly (judging from the layout and the fact that I'm through there on the airlines too often).

Enjoy out rain. :D

GO COUGS!!!

hahahahaha Love it. And as a transplanted USC fan, I like the Cougs much better than the Dogs.

I've got to go with the huskies, after all I supported them for 6 years :)

Look to fly in to either BFI or PAE. But airports should work well for what you need. S50 is a great airport if it's VFR out, but a bit of a drive to Seattle. And last but not least...Go cougs! :)

Back