University of North Dakota

There aren't any attractive girls that I've seen in the aviation school. But, in the "normal" school of UND, it's not too bad. It's not exactly ASU (another good school btw), but the ladies aren't too bad. One of my female friends in the aviation program describes it like being on the set of the Big Bang Theory.

For ATC, it's probably the easiest degree in the country. No foreign lang requirements, no bio or chem or anything crazy, and the highest math required is College Algebra (nothing hard at all). For ATC, it's a great program; however, I would not recommend it for the Commercial Aviation or Unmanned Aerial Systems program. I'm half way through the comm avit program, and I regret not majoring in history or business at a local college, then going to ATP flight school for the accelerated training. As for flying, you will have to do your private at least. Flying stinks in the winter. There's a reason we call it "No-Fly November", "Dont Fly December", "Just Wait January", and "Forget about Flying February". Usually the weather starts to improve afterwards. At 25 knots, the University goes "No-Fly" for the Cessnas, and at a certain temperature, it goes No Fly as well. I have waited weeks in the past to get a single solo cross country done. Your instructor won't endorse you to fly if the wind is over 15 knots and Severe Clear, which is almost un-heard of. Really, the fleet is not that diverse. Bunch of Cessna 172s and Piper Seminoles. The arrows are being sold off, and the King Air is only for the foreign contract students. (Theres ALOT of those here). There is a decathlon used for aerobatics and float training in the summer, but it's much cheaper to get that training done locally at home. Also, I would recommend not living on campus. There are tons of apartments being built right now next to campus. Let me know if you have any questions. I have lots of friends who are in the ATC program, most of which were commercial aviation major drop outs and went to ATC because they could graduate quicker. My friend runs the tours (atc major), and I laugh at the things he says and tries to sell. I have nothing against the school, I just wish I knew some things that I know now when I made my decision. Unfortunately, having over 60 credits, I can't really transfer a whole lot, so I'm stuck. Good luck.

Currently in Calc II, I can tutor college algebra ;)
My first year I will live on campus because of the convenience and social aspect. Never having been up there its easier to stick with some organized for me. My next couple of years though could be off campus though.
I will already have my private when I get there.

No school is perfect. However, I believe that UND is a better option than Riddle.

"There are no purdy girls."

- Stew the town drunk, in Glasgow, MT.

The same applies to ND

Since its a regular college it should be better than Riddle though.
Besides, to be honest I want to get out of Florida for a bit.

It is a balmy 72F tonight :goofy:.

That said, in years past, I had to fire up the snow-blower in october ;)

Used to have an Army ROTC program there. Not sure if it still exists. Students got out of there with like 15 hrs of Jet Ranger time. Gave them a little leg up when they went to Ft Rucker. Sounds like they have a good program up there.

Used to have an Army ROTC program there. Not sure if it still exists. Students got out of there with like 15 hrs of Jet Ranger time. Gave them a little leg up when they went to Ft Rucker. Sounds like they have a good program up there.

They do, along with an Air Force program I will be looking into.

I would really love to finish up my degree and go in as a TACP.

They do, along with an Air Force program I will be looking into.

I would really love to finish up my degree and go in as a TACP.

The TACP job sounds cool but I'm not sure how much real ATC experience they get. They mostly do FAC stuff. When I was in theater all the real controlling was done by AF regular controllers (non TACP) and contract civilians. Plus, not sure how much is done by officers. When it comes to station ATC, enlisted do the controlling and officers fulfill admin roles. I did tactical ATC in the Marines with MACS-4 and none of the officers were even qualified on approach. Only time we did ATC was on deployment also. Still fun to be able to setup a complete IFR ATC facility anywhere you want with full IFR capability.

Last edited:
As a current Career ALO (TACP Officer), there is no ATC service we provide. Terminal Attack Control (air delivered direct/indirect fires) is what we do in the off chance we aren't int the TOC.

As a former Air Battle Manager (AWACS), they don't do ATC, either. Air Field Management (AFSC 13M) is the AF officer specialty that supervises the ATC flight at an AF airfield.

TC

Put together on a handheld; that explains the typos and/or incoherent thoughts.

I went to the University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople. We instituted the University without Walls program after a mishap in the chemistry lab.

I went to the University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople. We instituted the University without Walls program after a mishap in the chemistry lab.

:D

It took one of my lab-mates two tries to understand the distinction between the 'explosion protected' and 'not explosion protected' refrigerators in the chemistry lab :hairraise: .

As a current Career ALO (TACP Officer), there is no ATC service we provide. Terminal Attack Control (air delivered direct/indirect fires) is what we do in the off chance we aren't int the TOC.

As a former Air Battle Manager (AWACS), they don't do ATC, either. Air Field Management (AFSC 13M) is the AF officer specialty that supervises the ATC flight at an AF airfield.

TC

Put together on a handheld; that explains the typos and/or incoherent thoughts.

Thanks for the info. What would you say the odds are of a dashing, handsome TACP switching to being a tower controller after 5,10,15 years in? enlisted

Thanks for the info. What would you say the odds are of a dashing, handsome TACP switching to being a tower controller after 5,10,15 years in? enlisted

Why would you do that with a college degree?

As my dad told me, "If you are going into the military, do it as an officer." I followed his advice and it served me well.

Controllers in the military are enlisted rank. Their squadron commander is an officer.

As my dad told me, "If you are going into the military, do it as an officer." I followed his advice and it served me well.

Controllers in the military are enlisted rank. Their squadron commander is an officer.
I served in the Air Force, Navy and Army. If you want comfort, the Air Force is definitely the place to be. One summer I was the training officer, an O-3, for an Army National Guard OCS program at Fort Meade (DCMA). We ran out of funding for our officers to stay at the Visiting Officers Quarters (VOQ), so we were moving into the temporary WWII era wooden quarters down near the training areas. As I was hauling my gear out to move, I passed an Air Force E-2 and E-3 in the hallway, both of whom griping to each other that the quarters, from which I had just been thrown out as an Army O-3, were some of the worst quarters they had ever been in.

You'll survive. Hundreds of thousands have done so before you!

I did 5 winters in 4 years at Grand Forks AFB. The "civilian" airport and UND Flight Services is half-way between the city and the air base.

Yes we did see some -40F, but it didn't last long. It's a great campus. You'll learn to like ice hockey. The flying is great.

When I was there UND was flying Cessna's. The local FBO had a deal with the college for retract rentals. They would tow a C-172RG (Cutlass) over to the FBO from the college when one was needed. I liked that airplane flying one or two up.

It's a short trip to Winnepeg (by car) for variety. MSP is a long drive.

Edit: I made the mistake of selling my motorcycle before moving north. I could have riden from April to late October most years.

The state tree is a telephone pole, the state bird is a mosquito, and there's a pretty farmers daughter behind every tree.

Last edited:
It's a short trip to Winnepeg (by car) for variety. MSP is a long drive.

That's the funny thing about GF, if you want good indian food (or rather any non-franchise food), it is a shorter trip to Winnipeg than MSP.

Heritage. My pops did 30 years and made Chief.

Heritage. My pops did 30 years and made Chief.

Gotta agree with Bill though. Why get a degree if your goal is to do ATC enlisted in the military? I think it's an awesome school but the degree will have little to do with getting accepted into ATC in the military. It's all about vacancies and your ASVAB score. It'll help with promotions but that's about it. You can spend the next four years training to do ATC or the next for years actually doing it in the military. Debt free too.

Whatever path you chose, good luck with it.

I feel getting the degree gives me more flexibility after my military career. I would either double major or get a minor of some sort.

I really am kinda torn. Officers get better pay and such but I dont want a desk/admin job at the same time and wouldnt mind the pay cut.

Last edited:
I feel getting the degree gives me more flexibility after my military career. I would either double major or get a minor of some sort.

I really am kinda torn. Officers get better pay and such but I dont want a desk/admin job at the same time and wouldnt mind the pay cut.

Trust me, I think you'll mind the pay cut and the other bennies. And if you do a full 20yrs, the difference in retirement pay.

As for a "desk job" I flew for most of my career, yes some years were "staff jobs" at group and wing level, but I still had to maintain my flying proficiency.

My last 4 years were wing level staff, and flying executive transport (Be-200, Be-1900).

I think UND also had an FAA ATC course, but no guarantee of post graduation employment.

I'm telling ya, if you want to do ATC in the military, go enlisted. If you go as an officer you'll get a few quals and that'll be it. You'll be a Lt who is basically in charge of writing evals (fit reps / NCOERs) on your enlisted personnel. As a Capt you'll be a facilty officer or if you deploy a det commander. Once again, very little ATC and mostly admin / mgmt roles. There are plenty of non ATC schools they'll send you too as well.

I don't know of any of my former officers who went FAA after the Marines. Asked my brother who was former AF and he said he doesn't think any of his former officers went FAA either. Most just don't get the quals to get competitive and most choose either to reclass or just get out and go into the business sector.

Well Ive since been accepted to 5 schools in total.

University of North Florida
Embry Riddle Daytona
Mercer
Auburn
University of North Dakota

This weekend Im going to UNF and ERAU.
Next weekend is UND. (Very excited.)
Weekeend after is Mercer.
Weekend after Mercer is Auburn.

Gonna be busy eh?

Back