University of North Dakota

Lotsa heavy bus drivers these days do nothing but complain about the work and stress of the ATP in the airlines. Plenty of people too choose employment with a living wage to be preferable to low wage highly competitive environment. Especially tricky career path if you can't sample it before you sink all that time and energy into a program and then struggle to get that first job out of school. And if you come out of said school with only a PPL....

Does he want to fly, or fly for a living? Because it will take a VERY long time to get to the point where he can make a living. Even longer to support a family or own a piece of the American dream.

You use these generalizations like American Dream and make a living. How you define make a living and your definition of the "American Dream" might vary greatly from mine.

It's the nature of pilots to complain. Something can always be better.

Well, I've submitted applications to North Dakota, Embry Daytona, and a few other state schools today. Not cheap... ACT scores are $12 per school and each school charges $30-$50 to apply.

OK, put me on the same list as the people in Lyons.

I wasn't lecturing to them. I was lecturing to a person that should know something about weather and the difference between humidity and rain.

Lotsa heavy bus drivers these days do nothing but complain about the work and stress of the ATP in the airlines. Plenty of people too choose employment with a living wage to be preferable to low wage highly competitive environment. Especially tricky career path if you can't sample it before you sink all that time and energy into a program and then struggle to get that first job out of school. And if you come out of said school with only a PPL....

Does he want to fly, or fly for a living? Because it will take a VERY long time to get to the point where he can make a living. Even longer to support a family or own a piece of the American dream.

The OP wants to major in ATC, that is a moderately well paying goverment job. Not sure about the relevance of your rant in the setting of this thread.

The OP wants to major in ATC, that is a moderately well paying goverment job. Not sure about the relevance of your rant in the setting of this thread.
I know two people who went to UND and majored in ATC. One got placed, the other one was on the list but got sequestered. Seemed like a long process even for the one who got placed. It took at least a year or two.

Last edited:
I know two people who went to UND and majored in ATC. One got placed, the other one was on the list but got sequestered. Seemed like a long process even for the one who got placed. It took at least a year or two.

Outside of petroleum engineering and mining geology, I dont think there is a single course of study that guarantees you a job in the respective industry.

I graduated from ERAU in December of 2010. People I graduated with, who did the ATC track, are still yet to get an ATC job.

Outside of petroleum engineering and mining geology, I dont think there is a single course of study that guarantees you a job in the respective industry.
I never implied that there was. I was just warning the OP that he would probably not go straight from school to an ATC position. Most other jobs have more than one selection of employer.

Petroleum engineering guarantees you a job? News to me fer sure...

Hint: no major guarantees a job

This

My son is a PE student....think I will retire when he graduates and let him support me

Yep...pretty much the standard. They tell incoming students to expect 18 months to two years before getting a call...and that for a CHANCE at a position. The only thing giving some extra hope is the Reagan-era new-hires are reaching mandatory retirement, so there may be more positions opening, assuming we don't tank the economy further before then.

Yep...pretty much the standard. They tell incoming students to expect 18 months to two years before getting a call...and that for a CHANCE at a position. The only thing giving some extra hope is the Reagan-era new-hires are reaching mandatory retirement, so there may be more positions opening, assuming we don't tank the economy further before then.
If they are retiring at age 50, that ship already sailed, because the hiring was in 1982.

OP, have you looked at Purdue?

Great aviation program (alum here :wink2:) and Big 10 sports to boot.

Pretty sure the Reagan era new-hires are already retired. I knew a bunch of them, in fact I was almost one of them. I was considering ATC back in about 1984-85 and would be retired if I had done that.

Haven't seen the roads made impassible by accumulating humidity in a Saskatchewan winter either.

If they are retiring at age 50, that ship already sailed, because the hiring was in 1982.

Retirement age is 55 and they didn't fill all those positions right away. So the young ones then are hitting the limit soon.

Enjoy! They may have snow by then...dress warm!

Hey, it was 85 degrees today, all it takes is a polar airmass and it could be blowing snow tomorrow :yes: .

In November, definitely bring a warm jacket and real shoes. It doesn't get cold-cold in November, but it may be a bit nippy.

Just did an almanac search, average temp for November 2 is 34* with an average of .2 inches of snow.

The only time its 34* around here is in February over night....

Just did an almanac search, average temp for November 2 is 34* with an average of .2 inches of snow.

You'll survive. Hundreds of thousands have done so before you!

You'll survive. Hundreds of thousands have done so before you!

I dont doubt Ill survive. Im just worried Ill come home with the thousand yard stare after surviving such a harrowing experience. :rolleyes:

I was thinking if I do go to UND Im gonna need to bring my surfboard just for the wierd looks it'll get in my room and on my car. :rofl:

Supposed to be 34F tonight here and this is far south of ND.

Elizabeth,%20CO%20Weather%20Forecast%20from%20Weather%20Underground.png

I dont doubt Ill survive. Im just worried Ill come home with the thousand yard stare after surviving such a harrowing experience. :rolleyes:

I was thinking if I do go to UND Im gonna need to bring my surfboard just for the wierd looks it'll get in my room and on my car. :rofl:

I'm sure stranger things than that have been dragged into the dorms!

Well Ive been accepted. So those very pricey airline tickets wont be wasted. ;)

Other schools I will be visiting:
ERAU - Daytona
University of Florida
Mercer University
University of North Florida
Florida State University

UF....man did I have fun there!!! Aerospace Engineering, 87. The only thing that would have made it better would be having a little more cash than I did back then. In the other hand it was probably a good thing I was broke. Nothing better to focus the mind and motivate you to graduate :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well Ive been accepted. So those very pricey airline tickets wont be wasted. ;)

Other schools I will be visiting:
ERAU - Daytona
University of Florida
Mercer University
University of North Florida
Florida State University

I'd avoid all those Florida schools. Hot, muggy...no decent IFR weather to practice in. UND is definitely the way to go! :D

Yeah, and all that perfect flying weather during the entire winter, who needs that! North Dakota is the way to go :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For ATC, it's probably the easiest degree in the country. No foreign lang requirements, no bio or chem or anything crazy, and the highest math required is College Algebra (nothing hard at all). For ATC, it's a great program; however, I would not recommend it for the Commercial Aviation or Unmanned Aerial Systems program. I'm half way through the comm avit program, and I regret not majoring in history or business at a local college, then going to ATP flight school for the accelerated training. As for flying, you will have to do your private at least. Flying stinks in the winter. There's a reason we call it "No-Fly November", "Dont Fly December", "Just Wait January", and "Forget about Flying February". Usually the weather starts to improve afterwards. At 25 knots, the University goes "No-Fly" for the Cessnas, and at a certain temperature, it goes No Fly as well. I have waited weeks in the past to get a single solo cross country done. Your instructor won't endorse you to fly if the wind is over 15 knots and Severe Clear, which is almost un-heard of. Really, the fleet is not that diverse. Bunch of Cessna 172s and Piper Seminoles. The arrows are being sold off, and the King Air is only for the foreign contract students. (Theres ALOT of those here). There is a decathlon used for aerobatics and float training in the summer, but it's much cheaper to get that training done locally at home. Also, I would recommend not living on campus. There are tons of apartments being built right now next to campus. Let me know if you have any questions. I have lots of friends who are in the ATC program, most of which were commercial aviation major drop outs and went to ATC because they could graduate quicker. My friend runs the tours (atc major), and I laugh at the things he says and tries to sell. I have nothing against the school, I just wish I knew some things that I know now when I made my decision. Unfortunately, having over 60 credits, I can't really transfer a whole lot, so I'm stuck. Good luck.

Back