University aviation program?

SDuncan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
scott
Hi,

I'm a high school senior looking at colleges. I've always wanted to be an airline pilot, and absolutely love flying. However, I don't know which way is best to get there. I already have my Private certificate, and was originally planning on waiting to get my instrument in a university aviation program (in particular, UND). However, I've also contemplated getting a degree in aeronautical engineering and continuing my ratings out of school.

I think I'd enjoy the aviation major more than the aeronautical engineering major, but think that the engineering major would be more beneficial. After all, I'd basically learn the same thing I'd learn in four years of college if I just did the ratings on the side, not in a university program. Am I missing something? Are university programs really worth it?

I would really appreciate any input/experience. Thank you!

Hi there,

I'm a high school junior and will be getting my private certificate in November. I've already looked at a lot of university programs and would be glad to discuss what I thought of them with you via PM. (Though I may be a bit biased as I've already selected my first choice.)

First of all, Airline is not necessarily where you want to be. How about at a Fortune 500 company flying 3 identical challengers across the pond?

Just keep your horizons open.

Aero Engineering is a LOT of math and it's about 75% of coursework. For that much work I'd do Mechanical Engineering and do the ratings on the side....say.....PURDUE or the like. Then you have some REAL life options.

MEs are hiring at Caterpillar at about $70K to start....AE has been dead for many, many years.

Hello,

I'm in a University setting going through the Professional pilot degree and I have to say that the university way WILL BE the MOST expensive way. I chose my route for a number of reasons. Some things you have to remember is location, price, and quality. Quality being a huge issue. Where ever you decide to go (its okay if a number of places are on your list), make sure and take tours of the facility. I know its tough but try and talk to some of the students in the program, they don't bite and will really give you an insight into the program's personality beyond the "we're the greatest in the world" speach you'll hear at every FBO/college/business you run across. Some are honestly just better (or worse) than others!

There are also many people on POA with some sort of airline background, it would be good to see what thier take on education is. Just make sure to leave your options open.

Good luck!

I appreciate all of your input. However, the reason I've chose aeronautical engineering in particular is because I want to know as much about aviation as possible, and see this as a natural choice to do so in college. Is this skewed logic?

There are also many people on POA with some sort of airline background, it would be good to see what thier take on education is. Just make sure to leave your options open.

Good luck!

I'm one of them. I've been flying for a regional for about 8 months now. I got my BS in Journalism at Iowa State Univ. from 02-06, worked for a little while in my degree field, then finally gave in and went to one of the BIG national flight schools...ATP. I worked at the airport in Ames, pumping gas and washing planes for about three years during college while getting my private (and AGI/IGI, thanks to Tony and Dodge's suggestion). Whatever route you take, the 4 year degree is HUGE. Sure you can fly for a regional without it (and probably get a corporate job), but most of the best paying jobs are going to require the degree.

Personally, I went for a degree in something other than aviation for two reasons: 1) I sucked at engineering - my major for part of freshmen year, and 2) if I ever, god forbid, should lose my medical, I want a fall back that is both useful and enjoyable. I loved journalism, and would be happy doing it...I'd just rather be flying. Ultimately I have no desire to be in the airlines...if I could get into a fractional or follow in John (Fast-n-Furious)'s footsteps I'd be more than happy, but it's definitely a fun job (best I've had yet...and there have been many), and well worth going for.

For me, getting my degree then getting my ratings was the fastest and most economical option. Granted, I'm more in debt than you can imagine, but I was able to focus on college while it mattered, then forget all that, and focus entirely on my flying and the career I really wanted (and spread the cost out at least a little bit). A lot of the guys in my indoc class here went to aero-colleges, and many of them liked it. I liked the way I did it, too, and wouldn't change a thing.

I got to enjoy GA for 4 years without having to stress over my flying, then
spend four months focusing on airline flying (and advanced ratings) and came out of it with a great degree and a great job. As Tris said, University programs are expensive. But then again...what in aviation isn't?

I know this probably didn't help any, but if you have any questions, feel free to PM me...I'm happy to give my opinion to anyone who asks:yes:.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I appreciate all of your input. However, the reason I've chose aeronautical engineering in particular is because I want to know as much about aviation as possible, and see this as a natural choice to do so in college. Is this skewed logic?

Tony, I think that's one for you.

Spend an hour or 12 a week at the local FBO...you'll learn a lot from absurd "So there I was..." stories. A lot more than they teach in engineering classes (with much more colorful language, too) :).

UND is certainly one of the best collegiate aviation programs in the country, and they're tied in with a number of regional air carriers, providing a direct pipeline to the right seat of an RJ. For a list of the best collegiate aviation programs, see the web site of the collegiate aviation accreditation body, the AABI, and look under the Accredited Programs tab.

Unless you feel like being spammed for the rest of your life, do not even look at the Mesa Pilot program in Farmington, NM unless you are POSITIVE you'll be going there.

I made that mistake 4 years ago. They always find a way to contact me (6 phone numbers later)

Unless you feel like being spammed for the rest of your life, do not even look at the Mesa Pilot program in Farmington, NM unless you are POSITIVE you'll be going there.

I made that mistake 4 years ago. They always find a way to contact me (6 phone numbers later)
I got my $20 back. :D

Hmm.. Maybe we should sign Osama Bin Laden up for an info packet from the school and let THEM hunt him down. :yes:

Go for the AE if that's what you want. Or consider ME with a concentration in AE. I wouldn't recommend getting your ratings through a college though. Way too expensive.

Scott (right??) I think we discussed this in Flashchat once.

Im currently in AeroE at Iowa STate University. Its nothing like flying airplanes. Its a lot like hitting yourself in the head with a 2x4. alot. you've got to have a strong math background or you will struggle. being a pilot will only help a little. being good at math and computer programming would probably help more, as a whole. But, its what Im doing and I enjoy the coursework. But yea, its a lot of math. I dont think that the AerE job pool is dead as Bruce says. Many major aero manufacturers were at our recent job fair in Ames. including Cirrus, Cessna, Boeing, Lockheed. It seems that all of my friends who have graduated have gotten jobs in aero areas if thats what they were looking for. in the 90s it was rough and all of our departments grads were getting computer programming jobs.

im pretty sure i recommended that you look into a 2 yr aviation school when we chatted. specifically, Iowa Lakes Community College. www.iowalakes.edu. PM me if you need contact info for them. the advantage is that you basically get all the same ratings in about half the time for nearly half the money. then transfer to the 4 yr school finish up the degree of your choice and get out and start working. I recommend this because thats the why i am doing it and of course I like my way :)

Aero engineer here......

My job is more like a Mechanical engineer and would highly persuade you to get your BS in Mechanical. Take the aero (fluids) course work as electives or minor in it. If there should be a down turn and you should need work outside of the Aero circles an ME is much more understood and marketable.

I've worked in and out of DoD for the last 15+ years. Everything from Coast Guard Aviation, Space launch vehicles, UAVs, & DeWalt Power Tools.

You quickly find that the Aero work is very cyclical....5-7 yr cycles. Your gonna need a plan B or be willing to move around to find work.

And like others have said, Do your flight training at the local airport. You will pay thru the nose at a university and not worth the premium for the tickets.

Aero engineer here......

My job is more like a Mechanical engineer and would highly persuade you to get your BS in Mechanical. Take the aero (fluids) course work as electives or minor in it. If there should be a down turn and you should need work outside of the Aero circles an ME is much more understood and marketable.

I've worked in and out of DoD for the last 15+ years. Everything from Coast Guard Aviation, Space launch vehicles, UAVs, & DeWalt Power Tools.

You quickly find that the Aero work is very cyclical....5-7 yr cycles. Your gonna need a plan B or be willing to move around to find work.

And like others have said, Do your flight training at the local airport. You will pay thru the nose at a university and not worth the premium for the tickets.
Scott, Checkout_My_Six is probably more accurate as to AeroEng. cycles....but remember, if you have two cyclic specialties and they travel together (as in, late in the business cycle, then Bust!) you might end up selling real estate (in a downturn) if you happen to mature at the wrong time.

One of my Old USN buddies was just tickled after he survived the AA buyout of TWA and had just barely enough seniority to NOT get laid off...he's been again in the right seat 7 more years and might make upgrade before this next market cycle bust.....coming soon.

Sigh. Gotta EAT.

Last edited:
I dont think that the AerE job pool is dead as Bruce says. Many major aero manufacturers were at our recent job fair in Ames. including Cirrus, Cessna, Boeing, Lockheed.

For one additional data point, I have a cousin who's an ME who got a job at Boeing straight out of school (though the fact that the school was MIT might have helped).

I'll see if I can't prod Kate into posting on this thread... She has some valuable insight into the university aviation racket. ;)

First of all, Airline is not necessarily where you want to be. How about at a Fortune 500 company flying 3 identical challengers across the pond?

Just keep your horizons open.

Aero Engineering is a LOT of math and it's about 75% of coursework. For that much work I'd do Mechanical Engineering and do the ratings on the side....say.....PURDUE or the like. Then you have some REAL life options.

MEs are hiring at Caterpillar at about $70K to start....AE has been dead for many, many years.

Thing about ME (or any technical discipline really) though is you cap out at $120-$200k or so. MBA, sky is the limit.

Yep, skewed logic it is. If you really want that, my suggestion is the US Naval Academy if you can get in.

Thank you all for your help. I guess AE isn't something I'm interested in after all. I guess I'm going to have to keep looking.

Back