Universal Studios Florida Fly-in recommendation

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
My wife and I are throwing around going to Universal Studios and SeaWorld this weekend, and wanted to know what is a good GA airport in Orlando to fly into....

For some reason, airports look to be pretty scarce around the area. Anyone have any advice for this? Would be great if there was some place with a shuttle to the park, or the area at least.

Was thinking Disney World too...but that TFR bugs me a bit....who knows, maybe we'll check that out.

Advice? I could use it.

The closest GA airport is Kissimmee - KISM. KISM is just a few miles from the Disney parks. I don't know about shuttle service, but I expect there's some. I can't speak to the FBOs at KISM because I've only done T&Gs there.

I'm based at Orlando Executive - KORL which is a little farther from Disney but might actually be closer to Universal and Sea World. Showalter Aviation is a great FBO which always treats me right. They'll facilitate rental car, pickup, tiedowns etc. The fuel isn't cheap, but the service is worth it to me. I don't know if they have minimum fuel purchase or overnight fees.

Both of those airports would work.

John

For some reason, airports look to be pretty scarce around the area. Anyone have any advice for this? Would be great if there was some place with a shuttle to the park, or the area at least.

Was thinking Disney World too...but that TFR bugs me a bit....who knows, maybe we'll check that out.

Advice? I could use it.
Scarce because of how much urban sprawl and lakes there are, you'll see.

As far as the disney TFR, don't worry, it's only till 3k feet and the controllers will help you out if you say you aren't familiar with it.

I would say go to KORL or KISM. KORL is a little closer to Universal than KISM but KISM is closer to disney. I would airnav those two airports and call the FBOs and see what they can offer in terms of shuttle, crew car, rental car, etc. Sometimes you can get a car for less than 20 a day so it might be worth checking out and asking them

One of my pals used to fly into Sanford pretty regularly.
sanford is a great airport (and very very busy) but it's pretty far from the parks and you'll likely be driving 45mins-1 hour just to get to the parks. not to mention a LOT of toll money.

Oh yeah, OP, Bring money for tolls (not too much, usually thye are from 50 cents to 2 dollars) because even if you plan to not take the 528,417,408,etc you will likely end up in a toll road on accident
The toll roads are great especially during rush hour, but I try to avoid them if I can (if it'll take me like 10 mins extra no problem, but if it's 30 extra without tolls I'll take it)
This is the type of sign that will indicate toll roads in Florida
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Florida_408.svg/96px-Toll_Florida_408.svg.png

I should note: The TFR bugs me on principal, not on operations. I think I can avoid it without problem....but I don't think it belongs there.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Looks like we're going into KORL...

I should note: The TFR bugs me on principal, not on operations.
I'm with you 100%

It's a permanent TFR, which defeats the purpose of being a Temporary Flight Restriction

I used to fly in to KORL weekly and I second the praise of Showalter Aviation. Nice family run business.

I'd skip Universal and fly into Savannah or Charleston. Lots to do, and everything isn't a cheesy tourist trap.

I'd skip Universal and fly into Savannah or Charleston. Lots to do, and everything isn't a cheesy tourist trap.

I'm not gay, and I don't care for art (read: not gay). Not a lot for a straight man/woman to do in Savannah, except maybe walk down Bay St., and that won't sustain an entire weekend's worth of stuff to do.

Plus - Universal Studios has the Harry Potter thing. That alone makes the trip worthwhile.

I'm not gay,

Plus - Universal Studios has the Harry Potter thing. That alone makes the trip worthwhile.

Those seem like contradicting statements. :goofy:

Actually, Savannah and Charleston aren't too bad - especially if you like good food. We've done both within the 16 months that we've been back 'south' and both kept us occupied for the majority of the weekend without ever setting foot in an art gallery. Not saying you should do it THIS weekend, but don't cross it off your list too soon... Also, Jekyll Island is a cool little spot to fly to.

Those seem like contradicting statements. :goofy:

Actually, Savannah and Charleston aren't too bad - especially if you like good food. We've done both within the 16 months that we've been back 'south' and both kept us occupied for the majority of the weekend without ever setting foot in an art gallery. Not saying you should do it THIS weekend, but don't cross it off your list too soon... Also, Jekyll Island is a cool little spot to fly to.

Twas definitely a joke :D I go to Savannah every 90 days or so for work, so I'm pretty familiar with the area.

My wife wants to check it out some day, but I'd rather not spend a 4 day weekend there :D

Love Universal!!! Love all the parks actually. :cornut: I have an annual pass to Universal, used to have a two park for Sea World/ Busch gardens but needed a change after three years. Let me know when you'll be there and we can grab a beer (or a Margaritaville margarita). Call or PM before you go, I'll give you all my good tips.

Forget Sanford. Service at KORL is everything said here but, the traffic can suck big time depending which way you are going at what time. KISM is a nice homey field. I can't imagine not being able to get a shuttle or car there.

Again, let me know when you'll arrive there, I have a recurring job there two a mile or two from the airport. I can schedule to be in the area and pick you up if need be.

Ciao'

Love Universal!!! Love all the parks actually. :cornut: I have an annual pass to Universal, used to have a two park for Sea World/ Busch gardens but needed a change after three years. Let me know when you'll be there and we can grab a beer (or a Margaritaville margarita). Call or PM before you go, I'll give you all my good tips.

Forget Sanford. Service at KORL is everything said here but, the traffic can suck big time depending which way you are going at what time. KISM is a nice homey field. I can't imagine not being able to get a shuttle or car there.

Again, let me know when you'll arrive there, I have a recurring job there two a mile or two from the airport. I can schedule to be in the area and pick you up if need be.

Ciao'

Sweet! My wife and I will either be coming down Friday or Saturday if the storms haven't passed by Friday afternoon. I am pretty sure KORL is the destination at this point.

Twas definitely a joke :D I go to Savannah every 90 days or so for work, so I'm pretty familiar with the area.

My wife wants to check it out some day, but I'd rather not spend a 4 day weekend there :D

Things I'd do in Savannah:

1) Go back to the Tucson Grill, if it's still there. The Cinnamon Chile Rubbed Ribeye is the best damn steak I ever had, and the made-fresh-at-your-table guacamole made this guac-hater's mouth very happy.

2) Tour Gulfstream, if they do such things.

3) Go to Fort Pulaski. Really neat fort that was built for coastal protection after the War of 1812, taken over by the Confederates at the beginning of the Civil War before the Union had fully staffed it, and eventually re-taken by the Union thanks to the advent of "new technology" rifled cannons. There are still cannon rounds embedded in the walls. Fascinating tour, and cheap (operated by the NPS).

4) Go chill out on Tybee Island for an afternoon - Swim, tan, watch dolphins.

5) uhhh... Well, I'm sure there's more things to do there. Some of them even aren't "gay". ;)

Things I'd do in Savannah:

1) Go back to the Tucson Grill, if it's still there. The Cinnamon Chile Rubbed Ribeye is the best damn steak I ever had, and the made-fresh-at-your-table guacamole made this guac-hater's mouth very happy.

2) Tour Gulfstream, if they do such things.

3) Go to Fort Pulaski. Really neat fort that was built for coastal protection after the War of 1812, taken over by the Confederates at the beginning of the Civil War before the Union had fully staffed it, and eventually re-taken by the Union thanks to the advent of "new technology" rifled cannons. There are still cannon rounds embedded in the walls. Fascinating tour, and cheap (operated by the NPS).

4) Go chill out on Tybee Island for an afternoon - Swim, tan, watch dolphins.

5) uhhh... Well, I'm sure there's more things to do there. Some of them even aren't "gay". ;)

6. Make out with dudes in between sipping lattes and checking out art shows in the "SCAD" district.

7. Raise my pinky when drinking my pink wine.

:D

Actually, my favorite thing to do in Savannah is go to the Crab Shack on Tybee Island.

Actually, my favorite thing to do in Savannah is go to the Crab Shack on Tybee Island.

Crab Shack rocks! Try their Low Country Boil - it has 2-3 different kind of crab legs + shrimp + sausage + mussels. You won't leave hungry.

I fly into the Orlando area about three or four times a year. Whenever I need to be downtown, I fly into KORL and park at Showalter. When I need to be near the parks, I fly into KISM and usually park at Signature.

There is never a problem getting transportation at either location and the service is excellent at both. However, KORL has much more traffic and the gas is a little bit more expensive, although not materially so.

No matter where you decide to stop, have fun.

The defending attorney should subpoena the plaintiffs, and upon failure to appear in court, demand they be held in contempt of court....penalty?

Jail at Sea World until they agree to appear.

The defending attorney should subpoena the plaintiffs, and upon failure to appear in court, demand they be held in contempt of court....penalty?

Jail at Sea World until they agree to appear.

Well, that was a necropost that needs elaboration.

Well, that was a necropost that needs elaboration.

In addition to not wanting to visit Savannah because he feels it is the haunt of homosexuals, Nick has said in another thread that he wants to go to law school to stir the pot, or battle the forces of evil, or something.

Back