United's new strategy...

I thought SWA was the only airline that served peanuts now a days, ya know most airlines don't anymore bc of peanut allergies.

HPNFlyGirl said:
ya know most airlines don't anymore bc of peanut allergies.
I think that's the least of the full reason why they don't serve it, but that's not the point. :dunno:

Nice picture! I'll hopfully be flying Southwest's Bonanza (that my grandfather happens to own <g>) this weekend. Unfortunately the paint scheme is a bit different <G>.

What's next? The US Air Mooney? :goofy:

Nice Bonanza! :yes:

HPNPilot1200 said:
What's next? The US Air Mooney? :goofy:
I don't know how all the Mooney fans here are going to feel about being associated with US Air! :eek:

Last edited:
Everskyward said:
Nice Bonanza! :yes:

I don't know how all the Mooney fans here are going to feel about being associated with US Air! :eek:

Note to viewers/mooney owners: Ammend "US Air" to whatever you feel :redface:

Everskyward said:
...still under wraps.

Couldn't be much less comfortable than that United 747 I just came back from Shanghai on. Which, I will say, was a darned sight more comfortable than anything Lufthansa flies.

Oh, can you say "flushed" across the Pacific? I looked up at the map between movies in the middle of the ocean and we had a 220 mph tail wind. Something like 788 mph over the ground. Just over 9 1/2 hours from Shanghai to San Francisco.

Ghery said:
Couldn't be much less comfortable than that United 747 I just came back from Shanghai on. Which, I will say, was a darned sight more comfortable than anything Lufthansa flies.

Oh, can you say "flushed" across the Pacific? I looked up at the map between movies in the middle of the ocean and we had a 220 mph tail wind. Something like 788 mph over the ground. Just over 9 1/2 hours from Shanghai to San Francisco.
I'm curious to know if you noticed any reactions from others pax that you had such a huge wind. My experience is that other pax are loathe to witness the remarkable aspects of high flight in some pretty exotic wx conditions.

This may be the only strategy of United's that actually works.

Greg Bockelman said:
RV-6A as far as I can tell.

Yes, that's correct Greg. I re-read the thread and nobody was saying it was a Mooney in the first place. I just saw "Everskywards" (forget your real name, sorry) post on Mooney pilots being associated with United. Yeah, they'd be p*ssed allright. :)

Richard said:
My experience is that other pax are loathe to witness the remarkable aspects of high flight in some pretty exotic wx conditions.
I think passengers like tailwinds. It beats the alternative. :yes:

Pilawt said:
Now if JAL offered scheduled service on this, I'd book it right away!
I wonder if that airplane is from their school in Napa. I've seen the students marching in formation in front of the airplanes on the ramp.

Last edited:
Everskyward said:
I think passengers like tailwinds. It beats the alternative.

My uncle is a retired Senior Business Agent, Inland Boatmens' Union of the Pacific(San Francisco). After one of his vacations at their home back here in Maine Doug and Ginny were airborne for San Francisco. At some point the captain announced that because of a strong prevailing tailwind(unusual when flying East to West) they would be arriving San Francisco one hour early.

D & G were pleased. Arriving early, they reclaimed their car and drove to their home in Richmond. They went across the big bridge at around 4:45pm, later arriving in Richmond. While unpacking their suitcases the luggage began dancing across the floor. If I recall correctly, history would have the big bridge having taken a massive hit -- rendering it unpassable -- at 5:04pm. Had their plane been "on-time" they would, likely, have been on the bridge when the earthquake of October 17(??), 1989(??) made a mess of San Francisco. Tailwind was their friend.

HR

Everskyward said:
I think passengers like tailwinds. It beats the alternative. :yes:
But only because it expedites the trip. What I mean, you could have a funnel cloud right next to the a/c and as long they didn't fly into it most pax wouldn't even notice; those that did would be decidedly unaffected even though it represents an awesome display of power. I wonder how many people are captivated by the imagery of scenic landscapes or spectacular cloud formations yet confronted by the real thing they hardly notice because they are only concerned with getting from A --> B.

I remember a girl I knew marveled at a picture I had taken of a stunning beach. When I took her to that beach she complained there was too much sand!

I wonder if that airplane is from their school in Napa. I've seen the students marching in formation in front of the airplanes on the ramp.
I think it is from Napa. I was hanging out at Napa's FBO when I couldn't believe my eyes. Student pilots marching in formation to the flight line with instructors marching along off to the side. As each student reached their assigned a/c they made a sharp turn to the left to stand rigidly before the plane while waiting for their instructor. Standard flight crew uniform except for the silly red ball cap. Some caps were a pink hue, I guess from using bleach in the washing.

Richard said:
I wonder how many people are captivated by the imagery of scenic landscapes or spectacular cloud formations yet confronted by the real thing they hardly notice because they are only concerned with getting from A --> B.
I understand what you mean now, but I think it depends on the person. Some passengers are very inquisitive about where we are, about the airplane, etc. and some couldn't care less. We'll point out cool things if we think they'll be interested. I think most of us like sharing. Probably the best thing I ever got to point out was the northern lights. They really enjoyed that. :yes:

I was hanging out at Napa's FBO when I couldn't believe my eyes.
That was exactly my reaction.

Richard said:
Some caps were a pink hue, I guess from using bleach in the washing.

Hmmm, no, that was the "alternative lifestyle" squadron. :)

Lawreston said:
at 5:04pm. Had their plane been "on-time" they would, likely, have been on the bridge when the earthquake of October 17(??), 1989(??) made a mess of San Francisco. Tailwind was their friend.

HR

Date and time are correct.

I get a kick out the media continually referring to that event as the San Francisco earthquake. Sorry, but it was centered under Mt. Loma Prieta, south of San Jose. 6 miles south of my house at the time. 50 miles sourh of San Francisco. No structural damage, but when I finally got home from work there wasn't much standing inside. Emptied all the shelves in the kitchen. Knocked down all the floor lamps. Launched the stereo speakers off their shelved (anchored them to the walls after that lesson).

The wife of a second cousin was one of the people pulled alive from the collapse of the Cypress Street structure on the interstate in Oakland. The architect who designed the seismic upgrade to the building I was in (work had just been completed) was one of the ones killed in the collapse. Cruel irony.

Richard said:
I'm curious to know if you noticed any reactions from others pax that you had such a huge wind. My experience is that other pax are loathe to witness the remarkable aspects of high flight in some pretty exotic wx conditions.

Nope. They were mostly asleep. Any of us who were pilots and were paying attention probably noticed, but I doubt that anyone else did. One of the pilots on the flight was deadheading home on my flight to Seattle and he commented that they had flight planned for 190 mph, and he must have been off duty and asleep when we got the 220.

Last edited:
Richard said:
Fellow pax may notice me chuckling at the thought of my Bonanza going 40 mph backwards in such a wind. :hairraise:

-- Pilawt

Back