United Flying Octogenarians

Ralph Parmenter Bennett

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bennett
Recently the U.F.O. aka ‘United Flying Octogenarians’ was mentioned on the POA ‘Medical Topics’ board.
The U.S. presently has over 10,000 certified pilots over age 80 years. Over 1700 of these pilots are members of the UFO organization within our 50 states and six other nations.
Sure, we all eventually leave flying due to health, decision, or circumstance, yet those pilot credentials are precious. Our pilot community needs to come together, as we did to create BasicMed, to resist aviation insurance companies’ policy restrictions that unfairly ground pilots before their time and against their wishes.
If a pilot serves as Pilot in Command on or after his/her 80th birthday you can join UFO. Please consider joining us. Google our websites/FB, for further information.

A piece of your soul

If you have ever danced with the clouds in the sky, chased your shadow across the plains and seen the blackness of the night from the air… seen it streaked with flashes of light in the distance as the day refuses to die, then you know the glory of flight.

Once you have been bounced about while skirting thunderstorms, flown through the middle of round rainbows and piloted an aircraft all alone on a sunset flight, once you have done all that, flying becomes a piece of your soul.

When you are 20 life is eternal. When you reach 40 you begin to sober up. If you are a pilot at 60 you pray every time your medical comes due. At 70 you realize the day will come when you have to give up that little piece of your soul.

You cling to it, relish every flight. As you cinch the ropes tight after every flight you wonder how many more times you will do that. Then someone tells you about a group of aviators who flew at age 80 and beyond.

You set a goal, a goal to stay in the air until you can join that unique band of brothers and sisters who proudly call themselves United Flying Octogenarians. The rocking chair can wait. You watch your health, keep your mind active and your flying current.

Then with a little bit of God given luck you make it. What a joy! What an accomplishment! You are 80 and you flew.

Now and for evermore, you have a seat at the table where old pilots go to reminisce and tell each other how good they used to be. Life is good.

You are a UFO.

by Bob Barker, Stamford, Connecticut (author)

I need to find someone around here that has one of the planes that do not require a medical.
18 more months, and I will have aged out of being an Octogenarian. Scary thought!

There are a number of POA's that are up there in age, are you guys still flying?

Where is here? I’m getting Bob current again, he is 83, and hasn’t flown since 1974!

We are having a blast, and he’s doing great!

Using our Vashon Ranger.

The Geezer is inside the Washington beltway.

I think that George has an answer for local opportunities. Thanks.

6 years to go, but I really want to be able to join this group. Was just able to renew insurance on my 414 for another year, but I know the clock is ticking on that. The rampant ageism of the aviation underwriters is very irritating.

It is nuts. I have a very good friend who's been flying his Comanche for 35 years. 81 and fit, works part time in winter as a ski instructor. He had to drop Basic Med and go back to 3rd class, get a flight review every year and got his rate bumped big time. Of course, they offered that he could go back to Basic med and BFR if he sold the Comanche and bought a 172.

Counting the years left to join. Have several friends that are members I’m seventy six but in no hurry to reach 80

T-shirts? Why yes, caps, patches, pins, certificate of appreciation etc. Once you reach that special age as a PIC, but no pockets kid !

Rumor had it that they were considering an associate membership,for older pilots under age 80.

Neatest thing, they do not kick you out if you exceed the 80's.

What’s he fly?

12_air_chair_2.jpeg

Probably started out in one of these

14583.jpg

Recently the U.F.O. aka ‘United Flying Octogenarians’ was mentioned on the POA ‘Medical Topics’ board.
The U.S. presently has over 10,000 certified pilots over age 80 years. Over 1700 of these pilots are members of the UFO organization within our 50 states and six other nations.
Sure, we all eventually leave flying due to health, decision, or circumstance, yet those pilot credentials are precious. Our pilot community needs to come together, as we did to create BasicMed, to resist aviation insurance companies’ policy restrictions that unfairly ground pilots before their time and against their wishes.
If a pilot serves as Pilot in Command on or after his/her 80th birthday you can join UFO. Please consider joining us. Google our websites/FB, for further information.

A piece of your soul

If you have ever danced with the clouds in the sky, chased your shadow across the plains and seen the blackness of the night from the air… seen it streaked with flashes of light in the distance as the day refuses to die, then you know the glory of flight.

Once you have been bounced about while skirting thunderstorms, flown through the middle of round rainbows and piloted an aircraft all alone on a sunset flight, once you have done all that, flying becomes a piece of your soul.

When you are 20 life is eternal. When you reach 40 you begin to sober up. If you are a pilot at 60 you pray every time your medical comes due. At 70 you realize the day will come when you have to give up that little piece of your soul.

You cling to it, relish every flight. As you cinch the ropes tight after every flight you wonder how many more times you will do that. Then someone tells you about a group of aviators who flew at age 80 and beyond.

You set a goal, a goal to stay in the air until you can join that unique band of brothers and sisters who proudly call themselves United Flying Octogenarians. The rocking chair can wait. You watch your health, keep your mind active and your flying current.

Then with a little bit of God given luck you make it. What a joy! What an accomplishment! You are 80 and you flew.

Now and for evermore, you have a seat at the table where old pilots go to reminisce and tell each other how good they used to be. Life is good.

You are a UFO.

by Bob Barker, Stamford, Connecticut (author)
How accurate can that 10,000 be? Todays date minus date of birth does not necessarily equal a living pilot.

OH Dear. " A Bobcat' you say. Well, we will be watching on November 19th for the annual 'GRIZ-Cats 'Brawl in the Wild'. MSU is doing way better than the GRIZ this year.
Maybe we can agree on 'UFO' in spite of this serious Alma Mater divide. Beaucoup "bumps" on my road too. The Best, Ralph

Back