United Airlines emergency evacuation slide falls from plane into Chicago neighborhood

I thought the same, but from a comment in another discussion:

it was an over the Wing emergency evac slide and it apparently is the 3rd time that a 767 has had them deploy and depart the aircraft while in flight since at least 2015.

An Atlas Air 767 had one of their over the Wing Emergency slides depart the aircraft andcland in a Sky Harbor Phoenix Arizona neighborhood back in December of 2015 and since early 2016 and supposedly the FAA had sent out either a Mx Service Alert with Boeing to operators about the issue which apparently stems from needed alterations in certain check valves that are part of the system that deploys these over the Wing Emergency slides or similar
.”

Not part of the door apparently, but in an external compartment.

“I’ll take Design Issues for $400, Alex?”

I'm starting to feel like the Titan Sub applied a more thorough design/engineering/manufacturing process than Boeing did with the 767.

They'll likely find a pattern in the failure mode on these three events and will make a change in the inspection and maintenance program to address it.

It’s not just boeing, it’s happened on the airbus 321 also, I have the pictures and t shirt to go with it.

I'm starting to feel like the Titan Sub applied a more thorough design/engineering/manufacturing process than Boeing did with the 767.

And how many millions of hours has the B767 fleet flown compared to the service problems it has experienced?

And how many millions of hours has the B767 fleet flown compared to the service problems it has experienced?
I assume the Gimli Glider glider fits in both the service problem and user error columns...

I assume the Gimli Glider glider fits in both the service problem and user error columns...
100% user errors.

MEL not properly followed (mechanic left C.B.s pushed in that were supposed to be pulled)
Crew took airplane without any fuel indication (required to be showing by MEL)
Crew miscalculated the uplift due, in large part, to this being the first airplane that had fuel in kg, instead of pounds, due to new Canadian legislation.

Being over Chicago, I would expect that it was immediately stolen.
Had it happened over Albany, there would be an immediately public outcry followed by multiple lawsuits.
From my time in Pittsburgh, I'd expect it would either be floated down one of the rivers, or someone would try to cook and eat it.

Being over Chicago, I would expect that it was immediately stolen.
Had it happened over Albany, there would be an immediately public outcry followed by multiple lawsuits.
From my time in Pittsburgh, I'd expect it would either be floated down one of the rivers, or someone would try to cook and eat it.

If it had happened in NM, everyone would ask....red or green.??...

Back