United Airlines customer service

I am not sure if its actual $ or Delta $$

images

The class would only include those who had an involuntary denial AND a beating.
Exactly. It will be cheaper for UAL to settle this quickly and then get back to the fare wars on Travelocity

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The class would only include those who had an involuntary denial AND a beating.

2 different cases:
a) Involuntary denial case and asked to be removed after boarding (UAL)
b) Assault by the Chicago Aviation Police (Chicago Airport)

Technically he shouldn't have a case with (a) unless UAL violated their own contract - but they actually might have from the latest looks of things.

Lived in Chicago for many years and UA was the airline I flew. They flew 727's back then....:) Corporate U.S. today is not what it was years ago...:(

Delta airlines seems to have learned from other's mistakes. They'll pay almost $10,000 to volunteer to take another flight: I wonder if one needs to declare that on income taxes?
Most major airlines will compensate you in some form or another if you know how to ask. Wife and I have flown for free for at least the last 15 years or more since they started packing the planes like sardine cans. We beg to be bumped, then I always ask and receive (in addition to being placed on standby) for 4 unlimited domestic flight vouchers as compensation. Book another flight during holiday travel at peak times then get bumped again and ask for 4 more vouchers. We're in no hurry to get anywhere, and 9 times out of 10 are only delayed a few hours and catch a later flight anyways.

I have changed my mind more than once on what "denied boarding" means, and I've actually sided with the airlines on this one. But I think it's time to formally define it, either in the law or in the contract of carriage, rather than letting it be decided by popular opinion or in a courtroom.

. . . .

Doesn't the very existence of United's Rule 21 do that? A common-sense interpretation of the two rules read side-by-side would be that Rule 25 applies before a passenger is in their seat, after which Rule 21 applies.

Rich

And what the heck is a master executive council? Is there a submissive executive council?
Each ALPA airline has one Master Executive Council (MEC) and multiple Local Executive Councils (LEC). Each pilot base has an LEC and is represented on the MEC.

Most major airlines will compensate you in some form or another if you know how to ask. Wife and I have flown for free for at least the last 15 years or more since they started packing the planes like sardine cans. We beg to be bumped, then I always ask and receive (in addition to being placed on standby) for 4 unlimited domestic flight vouchers as compensation. Book another flight during holiday travel at peak times then get bumped again and ask for 4 more vouchers. We're in no hurry to get anywhere, and 9 times out of 10 are only delayed a few hours and catch a later flight anyways.
I'm not sure what your point is. Most of us know the airlines will compensate you for accepting a delay. The point of the news I cited is that Delta agents have the ability to offer a much larger compensation than they could before, enough that it can add value to a traveler. For about half my flights, I still shouldn't use it since someone is paying me to be someplace, although I try to buffer for travel problems.

UAL or whoever they use for regional jets had something happening that week. A lot of us were traveling to customers and conferences and noticed a lot of airline employees being moved around and also offers of $500 to take a later flight. We were wondering if the weather in KATL had anything to do with it at the end of the week, since Delta may have been moving their passengers on other airlines.

You can exercise the vouchers at peak times? Also, how do you get additional vouchers if you're already riding on a voucher?

Doesn't the very existence of United's Rule 21 do that? A common-sense interpretation of the two rules read side-by-side would be that Rule 25 applies before a passenger is in their seat, after which Rule 21 applies.

Already discussed in the thread. Not rehashing it.

You can exercise the vouchers at peak times? Also, how do you get additional vouchers if you're already riding on a voucher?
@paflyer Yes, you ask for no-restriction vouchers. You start out asking for international vouchers, they'll usually meet you in the middle and give you domestic vouchers that are non-restricted. And yes, if you get bumped using a voucher, you can still ask for more. It's all in how you negotiate. Most people don't ask, they demand, and usually with a sh**ty attitude. That's where the problems start. ;)

Delta airlines seems to have learned from other's mistakes. They'll pay almost $10,000 to volunteer to take another flight:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/14/news/companies/delta-10000-overbooked-flight/

I wonder if one needs to declare that on income taxes?
Lol. I can see it now. Flights over booked. It's probably a very short cheap flight, filled with people just hoping to "hit the jackpot." The anouncements made "we are overbooked." Someone takes the first bid of $200. The other passengers drag him off the plane, head richocheting off armrests the whole way.

@paflyer Yes, you ask for no-restriction vouchers. You start out asking for international vouchers, they'll usually meet you in the middle and give you domestic vouchers that are non-restricted. And yes, if you get bumped using a voucher, you can still ask for more. It's all in how you negotiate. Most people don't ask, they demand, and usually with a sh**ty attitude. That's where the problems start. ;)
Fair enough.

United is getting a bad rap due to code sharing. The flight was manned by a Republic crew and the deadheading crew were also Republic employees. United gets a black eye for a Republicvscrew-up.

United is getting a bad rap due to code sharing. The flight was manned by a Republic crew and the deadheading crew were also Republic employees. United gets a black eye for a Republicvscrew-up.
Republicans always screw it up....oh, Republic not republican. Sorry. Lock thread now I went political.

I book the tickets via UAL, their web site. Their logo in on the plane, their magazine in in the seat pocket in front of me. I watch a movie with the UAL app. It's hard to tell it isn't a UAL flight. I hear what you are saying, and I hope the attorney for the passenger understands that as well. I don't think it is code "sharing" so much as "subcontracting"

I didn't think that code sharing and a regional flying a mainline livery were the same thing.

That, and Oscar's initial "in-your-face" defense of the staff.

They both have responsibility.

I may very well be mistaken, but I think the gate agents involved were UA mainline. The on-board crew and deadheaders were Republic. The city isn't blameless either as the "security" folks were part of Chicago Dept of Aviation. UA handles the reservations & booking engine. And as far as Republic goes, their conduct and policies for passenger accommodation are often driven by the contract between UA and Republic.

And of course, we have the ever popular passenger that said no.

Enough blame to go around.....

This is the perfect explaination of the whole thing. If nothing else, it will precipitate a change that desperately needed to happen.

They both have responsibility.

I may very well be mistaken, but I think the gate agents involved were UA mainline. The on-board crew and deadheaders were Republic. The city isn't blameless either as the "security" folks were part of Chicago Dept of Aviation. UA handles the reservations & booking engine. And as far as Republic goes, their conduct and policies for passenger accommodation are often driven by the contract between UA and Republic.

And of course, we have the ever popular passenger that said no.

Enough blame to go around.....

Still wonder why the dude got off and then got back on before being dragged off.

Says United on the tail, United on the Ticket the company follows policies set by United in every way. They own that one and Munoz knows it.

And, while everyone tweets/facebooks/whines that they'll never fly United again, Joe/Jane Q Public will pick them the very next trip they have if they are $1 cheaper than American, Southwest, or whoever.

Exactly. If we were better consumers, could stick to principles, most (but not monopolistic) businesses would align themselves with the outdated principle of "give them what they want". But as long as we are short sighted, we have taught corporations that we hve short memories, and are easy to manipulate and our principles only extend to our own bottom line they will keep screwing us. In monopolies, there is no choice...so nothing one can do will change it. It's why we used to have laws regulating monopolies.

Still wonder why the dude got off and then got back on before being dragged off.
I heard that he initially volunteered to accept the offer of compensation, got off the plane, and subsequently realized that the alternate flight would not get him home until the following afternoon, after which he ran back onto the airplane to his seat.

He changed his mind after he learned that the next flight was greater than 24h ours away. I would have too.

Republic doesn't have gate agents. Republic may have had a booking issue, but United 100% had a boarding issue.

Republic doesn't have gate agents. Republic may have had a booking issue, but United 100% had a boarding issue.
Exactly. And this has been addressed multiple times in this thread.

It was the UAL gate agent that was dealing with the passenger and called the airport security. Which is precisely why it is a UAL problem and not Republic giving United the black eye.

Bob, the screwup was in how the Gate Agent handling the situation, not the flight crew.

I'm ready to move on from this. The airlines have learned their lesson and people that are still blaming the 69 yr old doctor will not change their minds due to any facts. That is until it happens to them when they are desperately trying to get somewhere due to some personal emergency.

Now we have the couple getting married kicked off. It seems they 'repeatedly' tried to move from economy to 'economy plus' and ****ed off the flight attendants. Their reasoning was 'It was a mostly empty plane'.

So if there are open seats in first class that's fair game too?? I predict no windfall for these gold diggers.

Now we have the couple getting married kicked off. It seems they 'repeatedly' tried to move from economy to 'economy plus' and ****ed off the flight attendants. Their reasoning was 'It was a mostly empty plane'.

So if there are open seats in first class that's fair game too?? I predict no windfall for these gold diggers.
No kidding. This sounds like a couple of knuckleheads trying to capitalize on the situation.

No kidding. This sounds like a couple of knuckleheads trying to capitalize on the situation.

Do airlines not extend upgrades to people getting married anymore?

When I got married the first time, we got upgraded to Business class. When I got married the second time, they gate-assigned two rows of 4 interior seats to us (the type you can lift the handles up to sleep across).

Every other person I know off who got married also got upgraded. Is this a relic of the past?

When I got married the first time, we got upgraded to Business class. When I got married the second time, they gate-assigned two rows of 4 interior seats to us (the type you can lift the handles up to sleep across).

Every other person I know off who got married also got upgraded. Is this a relic of the past?
I tried to play the honeymoon card to get an upgrade on our flight to Hawaii but it was a completely full flight both ways and it didn't work.

I think so. No such courtesy was extended when i made the mistake of marrying the first time. Frankly considering the banality of marriage in modern times, i am glad they don't extend such courtesy. The less legitimizing we do socially to the pomp and circumstance of the wedding industrial complex, the better off as a society we are imo. It's just another participation award for having accomplished nothing. And I digress.

There is a difference between being extended a courtesy and just squatting somewhere you haven't paid for. They said they offered to pay the difference on the spot, but nobody does that. I doubt there is even a process for it.

Did they tell the crew in advance that they were on their honeymoon?

Those other two guys that were on their honeymoon and wanted to bring a Segway because of a disability had a much stronger case. They cleared it with TSA and the airline in advance, but were still denied at the gate. They were not even allowed to check the Segway at the gate, and then they were threatened with a fine and confiscation because they abandoned it and rented a less capable scooter at their destination. (I don't know WHEN this happened).

https://www.rt.com/viral/384956-united-airlines-disabled-passenger-segway/

There is a difference between being extended a courtesy and just squatting somewhere you haven't paid for. They said they offered to pay the difference on the spot, but nobody does that. I doubt there is even a process for it.

Did they tell the crew in advance that they were on their honeymoon?

Those other two guys that were on their honeymoon and wanted to bring a Segway because of a disability had a much stronger case. They cleared it with TSA and the airline in advance, but were still denied at the gate. They were not even allowed to check the Segway at the gate, and then they were threatened with a fine and confiscation because they abandoned it and rented a less capable scooter at their destination. (I don't know WHEN this happened).

https://www.rt.com/viral/384956-united-airlines-disabled-passenger-segway/

March 3, 2017, according to the original blog post.

On the positive side, he seems to have been pleased with TSA's accommodation and handling of the situation.

Rich

March 3, 2017, according to the original blog post.

On the positive side, he seems to have been pleased with TSA's accommodation and handling of the situation.

Rich
And fortunately, according to the guy's blog he got his Segway back after their flight home.

Back