United 777 evacuated at O'Hare

Hmmm... in from Shanghai.

Where was Greg, last?

It's interesting that it made it that far.

One would tend to conclude that something in the landing process caused the smoke?

~ Christopher

Normal landing and then smoke in the cockpit was the cited reason, one slightly injured in the egress.

Additional video
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-plane_bothdec15,0,3926516.story?coll=chi_tab01_layout

BTW that is not the runway but the high speed exit to the taxiway

An article that I read said that one of the "four pilots" (presumably a two-crew flight) reported smoke in the cabin (presumably one of the off-duty guys then), and they said multiple times that this was prior to landing (by just a few minutes.)

An article that I read said that one of the "four pilots" (presumably a two-crew flight) reported smoke in the cabin (presumably one of the off-duty guys then), and they said multiple times that this was prior to landing (by just a few minutes.)
The Asia flights on the 777 are two full crews but usually during landings they all seem to be up in the cockpit. I don't see any of them in the cabin during To and landing at all. Greg will of course know for sure. I did see a local news report where one of the pax was talking about smoke in the cabin though. Well we all know how 'accurate' news people are when it comes to reporting on flying.

That's an awful small "runway" that thing is parked on, by the way.

Why do you say that? What runway is it. From what I saw, they landed on 10, but I can't tell from the video.

Where was Greg, last?

Home, thank you very much. I am not senior enough to hold Shanghai, But I more than likely know who was crew on it.

The Asia flights on the 777 are two full crews but usually during landings they all seem to be up in the cockpit. I don't see any of them in the cabin during To and landing at all. Greg will of course know for sure.

United Airlines has one Captain and three First Officers on flights to Asia out of O'Hare. All four are in the cockpit for takeoff and landings.

And no, as of now, I have no real insight as to what may have been the cause. But by all definitions, it was a successful evacuation. It was unfortunate about the one lady that got hurt, but in almost every evacuation like that, at least one person sustains some sort of injury.

It's hard not to tweak an ankle when using the big bouncy slides.

I wonder how much it costs to replace the bouncy slides / otherwise re-set a 777 from an emergency evac?

~ Christopher

I'm pretty sure the slides can be deflated and reused. The slides we have on the E-3 are removed every so often and ops checked (ie inflated), then repacked and put back in the supply system to be installed on an aircraft.

Why do you say that? What runway is it. From what I saw, they landed on 10, but I can't tell from the video.

I was being facetious...from what I can tell in the video it looks like they're on the high speed, but the lady doing the VO said they're on the runway (because every bit of concrete at an airport under a jetway is the tarmac, and everything else is the runway).

I'm pretty sure the slides can be deflated and reused. The slides we have on the E-3 are removed every so often and ops checked (ie inflated), then repacked and put back in the supply system to be installed on an aircraft.

I do believe so. I saw this little "oops" moment in Boston:

IMG_3339.JPG

They flew the plane out (with passengers) later that day, so I have to assume it was a relatively easy fix (I'm guessing that the slides can't be MELed?).

Ok, we'll try posting the picture this way, instead.

Attachments

• Airways accidental slide inflation.JPG
    Airways accidental slide inflation.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 53
They flew the plane out (with passengers) later that day, so I have to assume it was a relatively easy fix (I'm guessing that the slides can't be MELed?).

The easy fix would have been to replace the slide. I would suspect that to re pack the slide, it would have to be sent somewhere.

The easy fix would have been to replace the slide. I would suspect that to re pack the slide, it would have to be sent somewhere.

I was guessing the same thing. Do they keep fresh slides at most of the airports you visit, or is that the kind of thing that has to come from a mx base?

I was guessing the same thing. Do they keep fresh slides at most of the airports you visit, or is that the kind of thing that has to come from a mx base?

Well, since slide packs are expensive, and you don't blow them very often, I would suspect they are warehoused somewhere. Probably major maintenance bases.

I was being facetious...from what I can tell in the video it looks like they're on the high speed, but the lady doing the VO said they're on the runway (because every bit of concrete at an airport under a jetway is the tarmac, and everything else is the runway).

And given that 'tarmac' is a type of paving material, and is not a location at an airport, just what are these newsies talking about, anyway? :p

And given that 'tarmac' is a type of paving material, and is not a location at an airport, just what are these newsies talking about, anyway? :p
It sounds technical and therefore cool in their minds. I wonder when it rains if they were their MacIntoshes and rubbers too!

FYI I call it the ramp, I hate tarmac as a term.

It sounds technical and therefore cool in their minds. I wonder when it rains if they were their MacIntoshes and rubbers too!

FYI I call it the ramp, I hate tarmac as a term.
As long as you don't mind fighting a losing battle, you are fine. According to Wiki, tarmac (indeed, a pavement material, became popularized by BBC reporters covering the Entebbe hostage crisis.

It does sound very British doesn't it? I say, old chap, put on your Mackintosh and meet me out on the tarmac? What say? Right you are! Good show!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarmac

-Skip

It is the windmill I wish to battle. ;)

That and not using the words pleaded and dived as in 'he pleaded not guilty' or 'I dived the reefs in the Bahamas'.

I agree that 'dived' is unnecessary and offensive, however, I do believe that pleaded is the generally accepted legal term.

~ Christopher

We used the thread "bouncy slides": we're bouncing from topic to topic.

~ Christopher

Maybe some left rudder is needed to correct the drift? :D

I don't think there's enough rudder travel left...pretty sure a go-around and a second try at the approach is called for.

Anyone heard anything more about the 777? :goofy::D

I don't think there's enough rudder travel left...pretty sure a go-around and a second try at the approach is called for.

Anyone heard anything more about the 777? :goofy::D

Saturday night I went out for dinner and at the table next to us was a FA from American Airlines. I know here form my many travels and she was talking about it to people she was sitting at also AA employees. The gist of their review was that as long as it was not AA then it was not a big deal. But other than that I have heard nothing. The big story from ORD today is that a catering truck hit a UAL RJ's wing.

Saturday night I went out for dinner and at the table next to us was a FA from American Airlines. I know here form my many travels and she was talking about it to people she was sitting at also AA employees. The gist of their review was that as long as it was not AA then it was not a big deal. But other than that I have heard nothing. The big story from ORD today is that a catering truck hit a UAL RJ's wing.

Or the 1.5hr gate hold we got to get deice at 0700 local, the captain replacement half way thruogh the gatehold, and barely working heat on the RJ...

God I hate ORD in winter!!

Cheers,

-Andrew
too much time on gate holds yesterday, 3.5hr

barely working heat on the RJ...

An RJ has heat? Who woulda thunk.

(spent plenty of cold flights as self loading cargo on RJs....)

Winter in the northeast is why I'm taking Acela for a one-day meeting in NYC later this week.....

An RJ has heat? Who woulda thunk.

(spent plenty of cold flights as self loading cargo on RJs....)

Winter in the northeast is why I'm taking Acela for a one-day meeting in NYC later this week.....

(creep alert)

Bill:

How is that Acela? Reliable, fast, decent trackage & MX?

I like the idea of it, especially for the eastern seaboard/New England region, wish we had something like that for the I-35 DAL/AUS/SAT corridor.

(creep alert)

Bill:

How is that Acela? Reliable, fast, decent trackage & MX?

I like the idea of it, especially for the eastern seaboard/New England region, wish we had something like that for the I-35 DAL/AUS/SAT corridor.

Sorry for late response.

Acela is great. Much more reliable than airlines, fast, decent trackage DC-NY. I prefer it to the Shuttle (DL or US, man, I came close to saying "Eastern"). 2:45 from Union Station in DC to Penn Station, with 5 intermediate stops.

We were 20 minutes late out of New York last Friday with a packed train that originated in Boston (where the airport was nearly shut down).... door problem. Still, my last flight from JFK to DCA left 40 minutes late. Acela is the only way to go when the weather is down.

Airline: 45-1 hour before, hour+ flight block time, another 45 minutes to deplane, do the taxi line, and get into NY.... total: 2:45 to midtown. Even worse if weather is down.

I love taking the train. Good cell coverage, decent wireless-cell-broadband data coverage, 110 v electrical outlets at each seat. Wide seats and a lot more leg room.

I agree: the DAL-AUS-SAT corridor would be ideal, and might have enough traffic to support. More likely, DAL-AUS-HOU would do well, too. I'm not sure how well it would stand up to the fares on Southwest. Or how well it would do given that all the cities are sprawled over a lot of real estate. It works for the NE corridor because there are dense city centers.

Oh, wait, isn't this part of Rick Perry's grand scheme for the Trans-Texas Corridor? You know, the one that will have huge highway tolls going to Cintra of Spain?

Last edited:
Back