Unfolding Story: Cirrus Parachute Again Saves the Day

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Cirrus down yesterday 12/27: http://fox6now.com/2015/12/27/developing-small-plane-crashes-in-ixonia/

What we know (from Cirrus site and news sources):

* Parachute Deployed
* Engine Failure
* Pilot fine (he's already posting about the experience)
* Pilot is active member of the Cirrus safety community - highly trained in Cirrus, taught to use parachute versus attempting off-field landing

More coming I'm sure. This is another potential life-saving Cirrus parachute deployment.

More coming I'm sure. This is another potential life-saving Cirrus parachute deployment.

Objection, calls for conjecture.

Then again if the guy is a pull the chute first don't try and be an actual pilot types, he probably would have augered it in anyway.

Prepare for the old curmudgeons to tell you he should have rolled the dice crashing into terrain. Cause then he'd be MANLY on the INTERNET.

Prepare for the old curmudgeons to tell you he should have rolled the dice crashing into terrain. Cause then he'd be MANLY on the INTERNET.

I get your point. But "crashing" into terrain is a bit premature considering we don't know everything. Perhaps he could of "landed" onto terrain and had the same outcome?

It's SE Wisconsin, there's no terrain to "crash" into.

I get your point. But "crashing" into terrain is a bit premature considering we don't know everything. Perhaps he could of "landed" onto terrain and had the same outcome?

Lies! All Lies! Every engine that quit prior to the Cirrus flight resulted in death, explosions, and helped cause AIDS. Every pilot that flew before the Cirrus came around died!

What time does it get dark there? An off airport landing at night can go South in a hurry, even with no terrain.

Aviation: One big dick measuring contest after another.

Is it really that big of deal? He lived.

Aviation: One big dick measuring contest after another.

Is it really that big of deal? He lived.

I don't have an issue with the guy yanking the chute. I have an issue with implying he would have probably died were it not for the chute.

I'm not a fan of ballistic 'chutes, but if I had an engine failure in a Cirrus at night with a bunch of pax I think I'd use it.

I don't have an issue with the guy yanking the chute. I have an issue with implying he would have probably died were it not for the chute.

Statistically, we *can* say that his chances of death in an off-airport landing are significantly higher than under the chute.

Not really. Pull chute first mentality is giving up. Where's your hazardous attitudes chart with resignation? ;)

Resignation is letting go of everything and letting Jesus take the wheel/yoke/stick.

Pulling the chute is exercising the best available option for a good outcome in many circumstances.

I guess he should first try to make the landing, then if he dies in a fireball he can pull the chute.

:dunno:

I'm not a fan of ballistic 'chutes, but if I had an engine failure in a Cirrus at night with a bunch of pax I think I'd use it.

If you can foresee circumstances where you think it's the best option, why are you not a fan of having one?

Not digging at you, just curious.

If I was solo in a cirrus during the day beyond gliding distance of an airport I'd use it.

Yes, as expected. My family prefers I have a parachute along, regardless of how good my skills are. Me too. Call me a woooss. I'd rather be safe!

Thus the word "potential" from me the OP. We can never be sure which unplanned landings would and would not be fatal.

But let's push emotions and machoness aside. Fact: Cirrus statistically now has one of the lowest (and possibly lowest) fatality rates in GA, in spite of being a fast, high performance plane used for IFR and otherwise "challenging" missions.

I'll ask the question again that was asked the last time... what's up with all the Cirrus Engine Failures?

I'll ask the question again that was asked the last time... what's up with all the Cirrus Engine Failures?

I rather have to agree. The airplanes are quite new, and are raining out of the sky at the same rate as our antiques.

Still, I'm glad the fellow got into a spot and walked away. I wouldn't pay the thousand dollar a year premium for an aircraft parachute. Really, if I felt I needed a parachute I'd just purchase one.

Thus the word "potential" from me the OP. We can never be sure which unplanned landings would and would not be fatal.

But let's push emotions and machoness aside. Fact: Cirrus statistically now has one of the lowest (and possibly lowest) fatality rates in GA, in spite of being a fast, high performance plane used for IFR and otherwise "challenging" missions.

Fact: My fatality rate is better than Cirrus, and I fly a fast, high performance plane used for IFR.

If you're an arm flailer, when something goes amiss, go ahead and yank the chute, but I will criticize anyone and everyone who doesn't try and save the plane before giving up. I'm not one to give up. Others are, and yes, I look down on those that give up easily.

I rather have to agree. The airplanes are quite new, and are raining out of the sky at the same rate as our antiques.

Still, I'm glad the fellow got into a spot and walked away. I wouldn't pay the thousand dollar a year premium for an aircraft parachute. Really, if I felt I needed a parachute I'd just purchase one.

It depends on the airplane. In mine, the premium is about $133/year based on the factory six year re-packing schedule at a cost of $800.

The Cirrus $10K repack is pretty damn spendy in comparison. But then so is a Cirrus compared to my CTSW.

Fact: My fatality rate is better than Cirrus, and I fly a fast, high performance plane used for IFR.

TBD, unless you are done flying in your life. The percentage of PICs killed by you while you are acting PIC may yet be 100%.

It's SE Wisconsin, there's no terrain to "crash" into.

Yeah. We gots lotsa fields.

We had a Cirrus make an emergency landing in a muddy field when the crankshaft broke. It was towed into our hangar.

Last edited:
Geeze, someone second guessing another pilot who walked away from a crash.

That's an all new topic for discussion around here!

I'm all ears for the original thinkers out there!

Maybe, maybe not. You can scroll through the posts in this very forum and see that people in planes without BRS die pretty regularly when their engine quits.

I certainly would take the odds on a BRS over the odds of riding it to the ground without power any day. I got nothing to prove and people who need me around.

Maybe, maybe not. You can scroll through the posts in this very forum and see that people in planes without BRS die pretty regularly when their engine quits.

I certainly would take the odds on a BRS over the odds of riding it to the ground without power any day.

And ignore anyone you may take out on the ground when you are no longer in control? So noted.

Upon review of this thread, unlike the previous twenty on the topic... I learned something!

The Cirrus handle should be labeled "Jesus' Cruise Control". ;)

And ignore anyone you may take out on the ground when you are no longer in control? So noted.

I'd encourage you to research how many people have been killed by BRS deployments versus planes that had forced landings. It might change your tune...

It is just a Continental 550 too. Not some Cirrus specific powerplant.

I'd encourage you to research how many people have been killed by BRS deployments versus planes that had forced landings. It might change your tune...

No it won't. I don't care how many pilots it saves. Yanking the chute at altitude is giving up without regard to anyone else it may, uh, impact. But hey, saving one pilot is OK even if it crashes down onto a crowd of people, right?

But I have just as much issue with those that don't take the plane away from people if able as well.

Last edited:

If you're an arm flailer, when something goes amiss, go ahead and yank the chute, but I will criticize anyone and everyone who doesn't try and save the plane before giving up. I'm not one to give up. Others are, and yes, I look down on those that give up easily.

You sure do put words in other people's mouths, dude.

First, who said I I'm trying to save the plane? You. Not so.

I'm trying to avoid ruining the lives of my family by potentially depriving them of my income and love...increasing my chances of survival in this dangerous hobby of ours.

You also make a second incorrect assumption: That having a 'chute means we don't aim for an on-airport landing. Most Cirrus pilots, if they are in range and able to line up for a good approach would not use the 'chute.

Fact: The 'chute can be successfully deployed down to 500' AGL, 133 knots or less. So there's nothing wrong with trying. But if you screw it up, sure nice to have a final option that works every time.

Fact: In over 100 Cirrus deployments, no one has ever injured any innocent by-standers. We are taught to find a suitable area if possible.

In the end, dude, we make choices. I respect yours, but it doesn't work for me. Free to disagree are we in the good old USA!

No it won't. I don't care how many pilots it saves. Yanking the chute at altitude is giving up without regard to anyone else it may, uh, impact. But hey, saving one pilot is OK even if it crashes down onto a crowd of people, right?

But I have just as much issue with those that don't take the plane away from people if able as well.

Because you can always see where the people are at 1000 feet and 80 knots? Or are you so good that you only pick your landing zone within 50 feet of impact?

Even airplanes going down in dense cities kill people not in the airplane only occasionally. Your reasoning seems pretty flawed and based primarily on testicle size.

You sure do put words in other people's mouths, dude.

First, who said I I'm trying to save the plane? You. Not so.

I'm trying to avoid ruining the lives of my family by potentially depriving them of my income and love...increasing my chances of survival in this dangerous hobby of ours.

Totally agree. If landing off airport lowers my chances of survival by 10% but raises the chances of saving the airplane by 10%, and pulling the chute does the same in reverse...eff the airplane.

Back