Understanding Windshear Recovery on Approach and Take-off

Guy Morton

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
GM
Can anyone direct me to some good resources for better understanding of the effects of, and recovery from, wind shear events during approach and takeoff in small GA aircraft? Written or video. I can can't seem to find much on it.
Thanks!

Can anyone direct me to some good resources for better understanding of the effects of, and recovery from, wind shear events during approach and takeoff in small GA aircraft? Written or video. I can can't seem to find much on it.
Thanks!

Don't know of any videos, but wind shear is generally a non event in a light GA aircraft as long as you are on top of things during flight. I've never really noticed it during climb other than bumps. During approach, you'll probably be warned about it through your briefing and/or ATIS. What I usually see is a fluctuating airspeed indicator. If conditions exist for wind shear most of the time the wind is gusty on the ground, so I'll be flying with a gust factor.

On approach if you see the airspeed falling, lower the nose and bring in power. If the airspeed increases, then I generally just wait it out while staying on the glide path. If you see the airspeed increasing and you are not causing it then be ready for it to drop.

I don't hunt airspeed on approach like I used to. I just let it happen and trend it toward where I want it to be in gusty conditions.

Light GA aircraft can accelerate pretty quickly in wind shear conditions, which keeps you out of trouble. Large heavy aircraft, not so much and I have no experience to answer in that case, except for what I've read.

Edit: I'm talking about run of the mill LLWS due to gusty winds and higher winds aloft. WS due to convective activity are a non starter for me.

Last edited:
Checkout the Airplane Flying Handbook or the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge

The METAR and TAF usually has a note about wind shear and its altitude, I've noted, and it does come up in Foreflight. I generally also look at the winds aloft compared to pattern altitude. There's no wind shear warning on ASOS.

I am very leery of LLWS mostly because I dont understand the effect much. there was a point when i used to just stay on the ground if there is LLW warning below 2k. from my limited experience this is what i know now - as long as the change of wind direction is from the side - say you are landing to the South and wind aloft (even pretty strong) is from East or West - that really doesnt matter other than some bumps when you hit the layer. now if the wind aloft at 2k is from north and the wind on the runway is from South - thats a whole different ballgame.

as i said, i dont understand it well, but airspeed is king, so whatever it takes to keep the airspeed. Wind Shear is also associated with TS, microbursts, downdraft etc from what i understand. some resources below:

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gsl...7/faa p-8740-40 windshear[hi-res] branded.pdf

https://www.weather.gov/media/zhu/ZHU_Training_Page/llws/LLWS/llws.pdf

I hear SKEW-T helps in determining some, one of these i will try to understand how to interpret that

I am very leery of LLWS mostly because I dont understand the effect much. there was a point when i used to just stay on the ground if there is LLW warning below 2k. from my limited experience this is what i know now - as long as the change of wind direction is from the side - say you are landing to the South and wind aloft (even pretty strong) is from East or West - that really doesnt matter other than some bumps when you hit the layer. now if the wind aloft at 2k is from north and the wind on the runway is from South - thats a whole different ballgame.

as i said, i dont understand it well, but airspeed is king, so whatever it takes to keep the airspeed. Wind Shear is also associated with TS, microbursts, downdraft etc from what i understand. some resources below:

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/library/documents/2011/aug/56407/faa p-8740-40 windshear[hi-res] branded.pdf

https://www.weather.gov/media/zhu/ZHU_Training_Page/llws/LLWS/llws.pdf

I hear SKEW-T helps in determining some, one of these i will try to understand how to interpret that

first thing is windshear and micro bursts are not a constant thing. so the best course of action is at the first sign of a LLWS, go around and get away from the ground. the next trip around all may be fine.

In a microburst or LLSW, airspeed is not king, delta 191 proved that, angle of attack is king. but, most light aircraft do not have an angle of attack indicator. this may sound dumb, but number one rule in a LLWS is don't hit the ground, and if you have to hit the ground you want to be at best l/d because at that point you were doing the best you could. you want to be at full power and getting the most lift you can get, so a good starting point is Vx. at that point a good cross check is speed vs VS to get the aircraft away from the ground. respect stall buffet and try to maintain VX is about the best you can do in a non-AOA equipped aircraft.

first thing is windshear and micro bursts are not a constant thing. so the best course of action is at the first sign of a LLWS, go around and get away from the ground. the next trip around all may be fine.

In a microburst or LLSW, airspeed is not king, delta 191 proved that, angle of attack is king. but, most light aircraft do not have an angle of attack indicator. this may sound dumb, but number one rule in a LLWS is don't hit the ground, and if you have to hit the ground you want to be at best l/d because at that point you were doing the best you could. you want to be at full power and getting the most lift you can get, so a good starting point is Vx. at that point a good cross check is speed vs VS to get the aircraft away from the ground. respect stall buffet and try to maintain VX is about the best you can do in a non-AOA equipped aircraft.

Thank you. Good to know. There is always something to learn. I do have an AOA indicator with audio feedback that I use during takeoff and landing, I will add keep this in mind for getting out if I hit a LLWS or microbursts.

I have gotten better at not cancelling flights as soon as see a LLWS warning. For example today we have a LLWS and moderate turbulence airmet pretty much the entire North central part. Just came back after a 3.7 hr flight, smooth ride, barely any jolt. Wind aloft while coming close to decent and landing were 47 kts from 260 even at 3500 feet, over the runway 190@8, I was expecting some jolts on final, but didn’t get any. Go figure.

Thank you. Good to know. There is always something to learn. I do have an AOA indicator with audio feedback that I use during takeoff and landing, I will add keep this in mind for getting out if I hit a LLWS or microbursts.

I have gotten better at not cancelling flights as soon as see a LLWS warning. For example today we have a LLWS and moderate turbulence airmet pretty much the entire North central part. Just came back after a 3.7 hr flight, smooth ride, barely any jolt. Wind aloft while coming close to decent and landing were 47 kts from 260 even at 3500 feet, over the runway 190@8, I was expecting some jolts on final, but didn’t get any. Go figure.
nothing wrong with being very careful about windshear. it can be quick and deadly. even after 12,000 hrs and flying one of the most advanced airliners out there I still get a bit more keyed up when the conditions are right for it. a good pilot is alwas learning and studying. there is no reason to fear weather, but never loose respect for it and alwas err on the side of caution. there is nothing more true when it comes to weather than there are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old bold pilots.

Back