Under the hood

flyingcowboy69

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flyingcowboy69
I did an hour under the hood yesterday. I was surprised at how mutch I had to fight the urge to turn left. but after an hour of check heading and altitude I was becomeing able to hold altitude and some semblance of a heading and not bust my heading changes and new altitudes while the instructer "vectored" me down to the runway.

Doesn't sound like you're learning "attitude flying," in which one sets the attitude which should give the desired performance with reference to the the AI, and then checks the heading and altitude (and airspeed and TC) to see if a change to the attitude is needed. Chasing heading and altitude with control inputs without reference to the AI can result in poor performance, not to mention nausea from the rockin'n'rollin'. If you know what attitude you want, and just make the necessary inputs to hold it, you'll probably find you're flying a much steadier path.

What your describing is what I was attempting to do, it just took me awhile to be able to actualy do it.

I did an hour under the hood yesterday. I was surprised at how mutch I had to fight the urge to turn left.
What type of hood are you using. I'm just curious. Most hoods allow enough vision to remain that you can pick up peripheral cues, especially on the left side. The movement you "see" may make you feel you are turning right, which would translate into an urge to turn left.

There are folks who decry the fact that most hoods allow some vision. This phenomenon - induced disorientation and mild vertigo - is one of the reasons that I think it's actually a good thing and adds a level of realism.

Just an IR student here, but I find the three most important words in relaxed instrument flying (if there is such a thing) are TRIM, TRIM and TRIM. When that 182 is trimmed properly you can take your hand off the yoke, attend to other things, look back and it's pretty much were you left it. Otherwise, that's a lot of work!

Thanks for all the advice ya'll.What I wanted to get across but didn't do a good job of is that I now see why vfr piloits should avoid imc conditions.

Back