Under/Over estimating your ability

• Thread starter Renter Unregistered
  • Start date
R

Renter Unregistered

Doing this anonymously because I don't want to sound like I am condemning anyone.

I was out today keeping up my skills flying the Skylane. I fly at least five hours a month in two or three flights, and I fly with a CFI at least once every sixty days. I was kicking my own ass because I had some slop on the altitudes, at one point even 100 feet below. This is IFR and should be better.

In cruise I engaged the AP hold alt. Sagged down to 100 below again, so I had AP fly 100 FPM up, after which I was to hit ALT button. Meantime I was briefing the approach and I forgot the AP. Then I get ****ed at it becuase now we are 50 feet above altitude. What's wrong with this AP? Duh--I never pushed ALT.

So I shut off AP and hand fly the rest of the way. Tracking inbound to a VOR, the needle strayed two dots left. For some reason, I'm thinking, this can't be right, I'd have to fly 20 degrees correction to hold this. Was the VOR precessing that fast? No, I had checked it so, I had to yell at myself: "so fly the damn 20 degrees correction!" Got it back in the center.

Ended with a fair to good set of five short and soft landings--at least that's something to celebrate.

So here I am kicking my own ass--and I know exactly where the shortcomings were. But then I just decide to relax and watch others for awhile. Damn, I saw some bad landings. My problem is that I am ground shy, so I tend to flare to level a bit high (maybe 3 or 4 feet) and then wait for Bruce's butt sink while I slowly pull up. This works all the time, but it isn't as refined as one smooth, slow, pull from nose down through level to nose up.

But I kept seeing people do this: flare to level at about 8 or 9 feet (no joke), then when they started to sink, jerk the nose up, etc, until finally crashing (almost) down on the mains. Of course the nose comes slamming down after that. In 20 minutes I saw two 3-banger porpoises. God I couldn't believe it. I had to write down the N numbers so I don't accidentally rent them. Then again, it probably has happened to all the planes in the fleet. Even the Skylane I was flying had flat spots on the tires. Sigh.

Also while I was in the pattern, I was behind a C172 that was flying the longest widest patterns. Very bad--we have noise abatement rules he was busting. He also was flying to TPA before making X-wind turn (which put him over residences, busting noise abatement). It was a student, I found out later, but the CFI with him shoulda said something. Sigh, again.

I still think--no--I know I can do better, but it scares me to see what's out there.

You're gonna see lots worse than those if you stick around.

BTW: The tire flat spots may often just be from tires stopping in the same spot after TO & hitting the pavement there each time. The A&P may want to re-weight or otherwise balance them.

Dave Krall CFII said:
You're gonna see lots worse than those if you stick around.

BTW: The tire flat spots may often just be from tires stopping in the same spot after TO & hitting the pavement there each time. The A&P may want to re-weight or otherwise balance them.

Or someone who is so uncertain of their ability to get stopped that they have the tops of the pedals pushed before touchdown....and they hold them. I watched someone do that on a ~5K ft rwy. Asked them why they did that, and they just said they were scared of going long. 5 landings - new main tires! OUCH (OK, so they were not brand new, but still.....)

From what I observe when pilots get distance from a CFI they start to make the rocket-it-to-the-runway landings, because the one thing they can still remember is when it gets slow bad things happen.

I watch them zoom down to past the midpoint and wonder, "Did you intend to land it here?"

That's one advantage to having 3300 feet at home.

Last edited:
mikea said:
That's one advantage to having 3300 feet at home.

How about doing T&Gs on 2975'? Did a bunch of them while I was a student.

Makes you learn to always aim for the threshold, knowing you will touchdown about 200' beyond that spot. Somehow, I just can't seem to make myself land long on purpose. Even to avoid the wash of an RJ that landed in front of me.

woodstock said:
I sometimes think I underestimate my ability, then, I crunch one in and realize I can't do ****!

That's shows you really are a pilot! :yes:

Renter Unregistered said:
My problem is that I am ground shy, so I tend to flare to level a bit high (maybe 3 or 4 feet) and then wait for Bruce's butt sink while I slowly pull up. This works all the time, but it isn't as refined as one smooth, slow, pull from nose down through level to nose up.
Refined schmefined. Do what works. :)
But I kept seeing people do this: flare to level at about 8 or 9 feet (no joke), then when they started to sink, jerk the nose up, etc, until finally crashing (almost) down on the mains. Of course the nose comes slamming down after that. In 20 minutes I saw two 3-banger porpoises. God I couldn't believe it. I had to write down the N numbers so I don't accidentally rent them. Then again, it probably has happened to all the planes in the fleet. Even the Skylane I was flying had flat spots on the tires. Sigh.
Sigh.
Also while I was in the pattern, I was behind a C172 that was flying the longest widest patterns. Very bad--we have noise abatement rules he was busting. He also was flying to TPA before making X-wind turn (which put him over residences, busting noise abatement). It was a student, I found out later, but the CFI with him shoulda said something. Sigh, again.

I still think--no--I know I can do better, but it scares me to see what's out there.

The Old Man said:
How about doing T&Gs on 2975'? Did a bunch of them while I was a student.

Makes you learn to always aim for the threshold, knowing you will touchdown about 200' beyond that spot. Somehow, I just can't seem to make myself land long on purpose. Even to avoid the wash of an RJ that landed in front of me.

Why not learn to aim for the threshold or whatever other desired point, and touchdown right on it?

Dave Krall CFII said:
Why not learn to aim for the threshold or whatever other desired point, and touchdown right on it?

Why do some people always jump on the wording rather than the meaning?

An absolutely stable approach will "aim" at a specific spot. This is the spot you would impact the earth if you didn't pull power and flare. After pulling power and flaring, you will change the vector of the approach and touchdown beyond that spot.

The Old Man said:
Why do some people always jump on the wording rather than the meaning?

An absolutely stable approach will "aim" at a specific spot. This is the spot you would impact the earth if you didn't pull power and flare. After pulling power and flaring, you will change the vector of the approach and touchdown beyond that spot.

Couldn't tell you "why some people always jump on the wording rather than the meaning"... but wording is definately important in conveying ones meaning.

Yours is one common way to land when real touchdown accuracy is not an issue and I fly landings that way often too, as do most others.

My questioning, was actually of your meaning, which was well stated by your words. I see your word "aim" now in quotations by you too.

I was merely pointing to the well known benefits of pilots being able to land, when and if desired, right on the threshold, without wasting those couple of hundred feet floating in a flare down the runway. It's just the next notch up in some skills pilots can have fun practicing for.

Fly safe and happy.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back