Uncrating and assembling your P-47

Does this meet the FAA 51% rule? :D

Somebody needs to send this to Vans so they can see how to do a proper QB kit.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Looks like I need to get a few more friends to help with my present.... :)

Thanks for sharing

I am sick. I watched every minute and wondered all the time, is the Crew Chief an A+P? A pilot at least? What double checks are made on critical assembly tasks; or did they have that luxury in 1943? How many were assembled in this manner? Who came up with the steps, the manual, the video? Loved the narration. Love the old timey music and 'presentation'.

I would expect during the war they would have taught the Crew Chiefs what they needed to know to get the job done, instead of a full A&P, and got them out there in the theatre. Gotta admire the resourcefulness of using everything including the packing crates.

Working on my Aztec I long ago came to the conclusion many components on these GA planes weren't meant to ever be replaced. Just replace the airplane with another of the thousands being built at the time. That had to be even more so with warplanes back in the day - I doubt they were intended for a long life. Makes me appreciate those that resurrect these things and keep them flying.

Thanks for posting!

Last edited:
I am sick. I watched every minute and wondered all the time, is the Crew Chief an A+P? A pilot at least? What double checks are made on critical assembly tasks; or did they have that luxury in 1943? How many were assembled in this manner? Who came up with the steps, the manual, the video? Loved the narration. Love the old timey music and 'presentation'.

Read Bob Hoover's book, "Forever Flying". He talks a bit about doing this. If I understand it correctly, he played a bit more than a small part in getting those birds put together and flying in Africa.

The military (I can only speak for the Air Force since I was one) doesn't have A&Ps. They're just mechanics with a 3 or 5 skill level. The inspectors can be 7 level or above. One usually had to be at least an E-5 to be a seven level. Air Force Pilots working on airplanes? :lol:

I bet some of those crates in the humongous warehouse in the Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark movie where they put the Ark have P-47’s in them.

Cheers

And after you get it bolted together here's a few tips to keep the shiny side up apparently:

If I had the time, I could watch all those old warbird films for weeks on end. It's bad enough viewing some of the posts of the films here, then getting sucked in to watching the rest of the series and what ever associated links there are to follow.

When you're at war, there's a different bar to be crossed. When the first Gulf War started, my submarine pulled into port at about 5 pm, did a full torpedo load out and was underway again by morning. Handling anything explosive at night? Absolutely forbidden. Unless it's war time and then you can do it.

this war time build,,
is the most real home built ,, kit,,
i have ever seen!!
does it really meet the 51% rule?
really fun to watch this video.
well worth your your time to watch this.....

Thoroughly enjoyed watching this, I was especially impressed how the crate was used and re-used throughout to assemble it.

Way back when I had to erect two 3.8m satellite dishes in Mongolia with no crane or ladders. Involved lots of short Mongolians standing on crates to get the dishes assembled!

Thoroughly enjoyed watching this, I was especially impressed how the crate was used and re-used throughout to assemble it.

Way back when I had to erect two 3.8m satellite dishes in Mongolia with no crane or ladders. Involved lots of short Mongolians standing on crates to get the dishes assembled!
Had to do that once in Mexico. We didn’t have any Mongolians around so we used short Mexicans and everything was ground assembly then swing into place. Building the foundation and accurately pointing the dish were the only real concerns.

If I had the time, I could watch all those old warbird films for weeks on end. It's bad enough viewing some of the posts of the films here, then getting sucked in to watching the rest of the series and what ever associated links there are to follow.

We thought you were going camping full time in a rolling Freightliner-sized luxopalace. And you’re not going to have any time between welding and turning around in tight quarters to watch a little YouTube?

Read Bob Hoover's book, "Forever Flying". He talks a bit about doing this. If I understand it correctly, he played a bit more than a small part in getting those birds put together and flying in Africa.

The Bob Hoover test flying of newly assembled planes was an eye opener the more you thought about it. I tried to imagine surviving first flights of wartime manufactured, field assembled P-38s. You either get good fast or dead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had to do that once in Mexico. We didn’t have any Mongolians around so we used short Mexicans and everything was ground assembly then swing into place. Building the foundation and accurately pointing the dish were the only real concerns.
Ha ha I had the Mongolians pour the base before I got there but didn't trust them to sink the bolts exactly right so drilled and epoxied them myself.

When you're at war, there's a different bar to be crossed. When the first Gulf War started, my submarine pulled into port at about 5 pm, did a full torpedo load out and was underway again by morning. Handling anything explosive at night? Absolutely forbidden. Unless it's war time and then you can do it.

There are lots of things you do in time of war that you just don't do any other time. The situation is entirely different.

Back