Uncontrolled fields with airline service?

mikegreen

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mike g.
What airports are uncontrolled but have scheduled airline service?

I don't know of any around Ohio...
( that's all I want to know, not your opinion on politics :) )

-Mike

Just got an e-mail from a pilot friend that the Dayton KDAY airport will eliminate the midnight shift at it's control tower. I doubt there are many commercial operations after midnight but I am sure there are some, plus all the early morning departures. Time will tell.

-Mike

Deadhorse, AK
Barrow, AK
Kotzebue, AK
Nome, AK
Dillingham, AK
Dutch Harbor, AK
King Salmon, AK

Quincy, IL is the only one in the lower 48 I can think of. Assuming it still doesn't have a control tower. Haven't looked at it since the 90s.

Deadhorse, AK
Barrow, AK
Kotzebue, AK
Nome, AK
Dillingham, AK
Dutch Harbor, AK
King Salmon, AK

Quincy, IL is the only one in the lower 48 I can think of. Assuming it still doesn't have a control tower. Haven't looked at it since the 90s.

Cape Air is in and out of Quincy and they have no tower. Was in there last summer to visit my best man and his wife.

For decades Jackson Hole didn't have a tower but had numerous commercial flights in and out... Off hand I think Rock Springs, Cody, and a few others in Wyoming towns have service without a tower on the field..

Pellston, MI (PLN)
Iron Mountain, MI (IMT)
Houghton-Hancock, MI (CMX)
Escanaba, MI (ESC)

are 4 off the top of my head.

Also a quick look at the sectional shows
Rhinelander, WI
International Falls, MN
Bemidji, MN
Brainerd, MN

There's a bunch of em out there.

Last edited:
KHIB, KBRD, KBJI... to name a few. I'm sure there are more.

SkyWest is receiving a $1.7 million annual federal subsidy to serve Bemidji through the Essential Air Service program, which was reauthorized by Congress last month.

KCIU - Chippewa County International (serving Sault Ste Marie, MI)
KCMX - Houghton County Memorial (serving Houghton / Hancock, MI)

A quick way to have an idea is to look at the airports and see if they have a class E surface area. It's not fool proof, but if there's a class E surface are, there's a good bet there's airline service in there.

Also, FKL in PA has it.

That one cracks me up. You walk past the TSA checkpoint on the inside of the building, go out through the FBO door, then walk past the TSA checkpoint on the outside of the FBO building to get to and from your plane.

That one cracks me up. You walk past the TSA checkpoint on the inside of the building, go out through the FBO door, then walk past the TSA checkpoint on the outside of the FBO building to get to and from your plane.
Show Low, AZ is like that too.

A quick way to have an idea is to look at the airports and see if they have a class E surface area. It's not fool proof, but if there's a class E surface are, there's a good bet there's airline service in there.

Also, FKL in PA has it.

KPUB is the same. 4 scheduled commuters a day which are to KDEN. But we don't even need to go thru the FBO, just the fence gate right outside the restaurant.

kFNL had scheduled service until a couple weeks ago. Commuter direct to Vegas, but it left when it couldn't negotiate an improvement for a longer runway, among other things, like a tower.

KALS has commuter to KDEN.

Last edited:
I do wonder if the procedure changes slightly if there's loading/unloading going on while you attempt to get to your plane.

At Pueblo GA is parked on the west side of the terminal, and the commuter is on the north side. A highly restrictive yellow line separates us. Type of operations is irrelevant as far as I know.

At Pueblo GA is parked on the west side of the terminal, and the commuter is on the north side. A highly restrictive yellow line separates us. Type of operations is irrelevant as far as I know.
That killed me at SOW.....the BIG YELLOW box is right on the ramp in between the transient parking and the self serve pump and signs all over the place. I've never been there when a commuter flight came through, but often wondered what would happen if you taxied through the big yellow box going to the fuel pump.

That killed me at SOW.....the BIG YELLOW box is right on the ramp in between the transient parking and the self serve pump and signs all over the place. I've never been there when a commuter flight came through, but often wondered what would happen if you taxied through the big yellow box going to the fuel pump.

I clipped the corner at Cape Girardeau taxiing to the FBO and no one said a thing.

I think AOO - Altoona Blair County in PA is onr of these airports. I think Colgan Air used to fly in and out of there.

In Virginia...

Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport SHD

Most of these airports will be in communities getting air service subsidized through the USDOT Essential Air Service program.

KRHI Rhinelander–Oneida County Airport, Rhinelander WI

KIMT Ford Airport, Iron Mountain MI

KESC Delta County Airport, Escanaba MI

KIWD Gogebic-Iron County Airport, Ironwood MI

KCMX Houghton County Memorial Airport, Houghton MI

KCIU Chippewa County International Airport, Sault Ste. Marie MI

KPLN Pellston Regional Airport, Pellston MI

KPGV in NC has no control tower but has daily U.S. Airways flights out of there. At least, it didn't have a control tower when I was there.

KSTS Santa Rosa, Ca. Has flights after tower hours, and the looming sequester will add to the number of flights w/o tower... Suspect there will be others as well.

Pullman, WA (KPUW - Pullman/Moscow regional)
East Wenatchee, WA (KEAT - Pangborn Memorial)

Cape Air is in and out of Quincy and they have no tower. Was in there last summer to visit my best man and his wife.

Quincy also demonstrates the risk of doing so. They had a collision between a Lakes 1900 and a private King Air in 1996. KA nailed the 1900 right at the runway intersection, all souls lost.

Other uncontrollable airports with airline service:

Bemidji,MN (3 departures)
Brainerd,MN (3 departures)
Dickinson,ND
Devils Lake,ND
Williston,ND (12 departures)
Jamestown,ND
Watertown,SD (3 departures)

It's traffic volume, traffic mix and runway layout that dictate the need for a tower. Not airline service.

Last edited:
KMSL, if you consider Silver Airways as scheduled :rofl:

KPGD was uncontrolled until a few months ago.

Allegiant has scheduled flights and a I think one other airline. Some days you would have flight training, ultralights, and airlines in the pattern together.

Quincy also demonstrates the risk of doing so. They had a collision between a Lakes 1900 and a private King Air in 1996. KA nailed the 1900 right at the runway intersection, all souls lost.

Similar collisions have occurred at towered fields; KSTL in 1994, KLAX in 1991, KORD in 1972.

Not since Emery stopped flying.

Just got an e-mail from a pilot friend that the Dayton KDAY airport will eliminate the midnight shift at it's control tower. I doubt there are many commercial operations after midnight but I am sure there are some, plus all the early morning departures. Time will tell.

Similar collisions have occurred at towered fields; KSTL in 1994, KLAX in 1991, KORD in 1972.

This proves that old adage:

Pilot screws up, people in the plane die.
Controller screws up, people in the plane die.

When I flew at the regionals, I flew to some airports where the tower was closed and a couple where there wasn't a tower.

KPQI and KAUG come to mind.

-Mike

This proves that old adage:

Pilot screws up, people in the plane die.
Controller screws up, people in the plane die.

ISTR an incident, somewhere in Europe perhaps, where a pilot screwed up and crashed into the control tower.

Pullman, WA (KPUW - Pullman/Moscow regional)
East Wenatchee, WA (KEAT - Pangborn Memorial)

You beat me to it. Horizon flies into Pullman. I've ridden them, and shared the pattern with them there.

No tower at KPUW. Never has been (at least not in the 50+ years I've been aware of that field).

Back