Uncontrolled fields with airline service?

KPGA Page Arizona
KCMX Hancock Michigan
Rhinelander WI
Butte, Montana
Cody, Wyoming
Kingma,n Arizona
Almost every paved public airport in interior and southwest Alaska (and plenty which aren't paved too.)

Last edited:
It's not an airline, but we land a 747 airliner under nontowered conditions for almost every flight. KPMD has a part time tower, and we almost always fly at night, generally for 8 hours.

State College PA used to be a really busy non-towered airport, but they got a tower pretty recently. Vail/Eagle County in Colorado used to be non-towered too--they apparently got a lot of 757s in the winter.

I think AOO - Altoona Blair County in PA is onr of these airports. I think Colgan Air used to fly in and out of there.

In Virginia...

Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport SHD

Most of these airports will be in communities getting air service subsidized through the USDOT Essential Air Service program.

When I flew at the regionals, I flew to some airports where the tower was closed and a couple where there wasn't a tower.

KPQI and KAUG come to mind.

I used to fly all of those routes. Also BKW, RKD, BHB, and UNV/SCE. And many dozen where the tower closed before we got there at night or opened after we left in the morning.

KSOP, pinehurst/ southern pines NC, they built a terminal and had USAir for a while, but I think they're gone now.

KLAR - Laramie WY. Skywest flies in and out. I had a fine experience deconflicting on my VFR approach with their approach into the airport a while back. A non-event.

KSVC - Silver City NM. Great Lakes flies in and out. I also had an experience flying out with them coming out of the FBO at the same time. Nice guys and they had never seen a Gobosh LSA before.

Carl

HDN Hayden / Steamboat Springs with 757 and 737 among others during ski season. Procedures call for announcing on 123.0 10 minutes before departure.

Cheers

There's also JHW (Jamestown/Chautauqua County NY).

Also, FKL in PA has it.

That one cracks me up. You walk past the TSA checkpoint on the inside of the building, go out through the FBO door, then walk past the TSA checkpoint on the outside of the FBO building to get to and from your plane.

Yep, been to FKL many times. Before Sept. 11, there were no yellow lines on the ground for the secure area, you were just supposed to know it was there...I heard someone walked through with a B1900 there and the airport/airline people threw a fit.

That killed me at SOW.....the BIG YELLOW box is right on the ramp in between the transient parking and the self serve pump and signs all over the place. I've never been there when a commuter flight came through, but often wondered what would happen if you taxied through the big yellow box going to the fuel pump.

Hmm, good question, I always thought it was just for pedestrians.

KIPL, Imperial CA. Skywest/United Express switching to SeaPort. Apparently 9 whole seats...

KCEC, Crescent City, CA has scheduled service too. Not nearly as big as Eureka Arcata though.

KOTH, North Bend Oregon used to be non-towered, seems that changed in 2009.

Several more in California probably have scheduled service after tower hours, I know KRDD and KCIC come to mind having seen commuters there when the tower was closed.

KMRY also, looks like about 3 arrivals after tower closes and 2 departures before it opens.

Last edited:
Deadhorse, AK
Barrow, AK
Kotzebue, AK
Nome, AK
Dillingham, AK
Dutch Harbor, AK
King Salmon, AK

Quincy, IL is the only one in the lower 48 I can think of. Assuming it still doesn't have a control tower. Haven't looked at it since the 90s.
King Salmon has a tower.

As some have alluded to, there are a lot of airports where airliners arrive/depart when the tower is closed.

Similar collisions have occurred at towered fields; KSTL in 1994, KLAX in 1991, KORD in 1972.

All places considerably busier than Quincy on a weekday evening.

Those Cape Airs in the summer are like gnats on a nice summer night when you're trying to enjoy the evening :lol:

turbo props instead of 402's are alot quieter.

When I used to go into HYA at least once a month and twice in summer I'd see those guys flying like crop dusters and pipeline patrol . . . zoomers -

A quick way to have an idea is to look at the airports and see if they have a class E surface area. It's not fool proof, but if there's a class E surface are, there's a good bet there's airline service in there.

Or, it used to have a Flight Service Station and the airspace never got changed, such as at Lone Rock (KLNR).

Also, FKL in PA has it.

That one cracks me up. You walk past the TSA checkpoint on the inside of the building, go out through the FBO door, then walk past the TSA checkpoint on the outside of the FBO building to get to and from your plane.

But there's a YELLOW LINE OF DOOOOOOOOOM! :rofl:

My favorite thing there is to walk past the TSA-checkpoint doorway and see someone getting frisked, then walk through, out the door 8 feet away from them, and smile and wave. :rofl:

There's also the RED LINE OF DOOOOOOOOOM! on the ramp at KMSN within which you have to have a SIDA badge.

I clipped the corner at Cape Girardeau taxiing to the FBO and no one said a thing.

I almost went into it at KBRL, and it got me someone out on to the ramp to guide me into a "kosher" parking spot. :D

State College PA used to be a really busy non-towered airport, but they got a tower pretty recently.

Probably to keep any more airline flights from landing at N96! :D

turbo props instead of 402's are alot quieter.

When I used to go into HYA at least once a month and twice in summer I'd see those guys flying like crop dusters and pipeline patrol . . . zoomers -
There was a running joke when I was flying in New England that Cape Air puts the gear switch up before taking the runway and relies on the squat switch to pull the wheels up.

Back