Unauthorized installed equip?

Try using parts that are not listed in it and see what happens

So you buy all your interior hardware, electrical connectors, tires, batteries, upholstery trim, placards etc from the OEM?

Or are airplanes loaded with parts that aren't in the IPC?

So you buy all your interior hardware, electrical connectors, tires, batteries, upholstery trim, placards etc from the OEM?

Both.

Old rag and tube Pipers are a study in them selves, most every thing on them is built in the field by raw material. or bought from venders with PMA. up grades abound for them from heavy gear to high horse power engines, and every thing in between

With out that letter from the FAA the mag swap would be illegal. the Aircraft manufacturer sets the type design, and the TCDS sets the alternate P/Ns and equipment. Changing the mags from Slick to TCM on a Lycoming actually changes the engine model.

see 43-A as to what it requires to change the model of any engine.

Following up with this: I had it wrong, it was a DA-20 with a Continental engine in it. TCDS

Lists both slick and bendix mags, and that's what that IA used as a basis for the alteration, and the whole thing got kicked around from diamond, to continental, and around the FAA before someone wrote a letter saying it's fine. I hope that letter is still with the aircraft records :)

Also: I finally met with someone at the FSDO who sides with everyone here about alterations and parts approvals. And honestly, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Using tires as an example, it would certainly suck if I had to get every single brand of tire approved for installation... but I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for switching brands (but retaining the ply ratings)... Or even switching spark plugs on vintage aircraft to ones with resistors...

Last edited:
Lists both slick and bendix mags, and that's what that IA used as a basis for the alteration,

Your A&P was with in their ability to swap mags with a log book entry. simply because changing manufacturers of accessories is not a major alteration unless the two manufacturers are not listed.
The TCDS is the design, all equipment listed there is authorized to be used with out other approval.

Following up with this:

Also: I finally met with someone at the FSDO who sides with everyone here about alterations and parts approvals. And honestly, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Using tires as an example, it would certainly suck if I had to get every single brand of tire approved for installation... but I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for switching brands (but retaining the ply ratings)... Or even switching spark plugs on vintage aircraft to ones with resistors...

Your example of tires and spark plugs are a bad example because they are applied to the TCDS / production certificate by type and size. engine accessories? not so much.
example: the early Cessna 172 came from the factory with a C-145/0-300, provided with a 35 AMP Delco generator. You can't change that to a 50 or a 12 Amp one with out approval of some nature.
The later models up to 67 came with a 0-300-D with a Cessna alternator of 50 AMP capability, you can't remove that and mount a Jasco 50 with out a STC. Simply because it is not the same type.
Part numbers rule, If you do not replace the item with the proper part number you best have authorization to do so.

I was not comparing engine accessories to tires :). That's why they were in separate paragraphs. The part about tires and plugs was in response to previous posts regarding some alterations.

Back