SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Question for y'all, about Part 103.

Ok - so I'm looking for a few interpretations if anyone's game:

Part 103.17 said:
No person may operate an ultralight vehicle within Class A, Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from the ATC facility having jurisdiction over that airspace.

Does this mean that flying under a Class C shelf is out of the question? If so, can I contact ATC for clearance into Class C, or only into Class E?

Part 103.15 said:
No person may operate an ultralight vehicle over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons.

Now, one of my CFIs mentioned in the past that anything marked yellow on a sectional is "congested area". Is that true?

SkyHog said:
No person may operate an ultralight vehicle within Class A, Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from the ATC facility having jurisdiction over that airspace.
Does this mean that flying under a Class C shelf is out of the question? If so, can I contact ATC for clearance into Class C, or only into Class E?
I can sort of see how you could read it so that the authorization applies only to Class E, but it applies to all of the airspaces listed.

One clue is looking elsewhere. For example, part of 103.23, which talks about cloud clearances and visibility requirements, reminds us that
==============================
All operations in Class A, Class B, Class C and Class D airspace or Class E airspace designated for an airport must receive prior ATC authorization as required in § 103.17 of this part.

Now, one of my CFIs mentioned in the past that anything marked yellow on a sectional is "congested area". Is that true?
I don't think so. The yellow areas are cities and large towns (see NACO Chart Users' Guide). If cities and large towns were automatically congested areas, the regulation

No person may operate an ultralight vehicle over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons.

means

No person may operate an ultralight vehicle over any congested area of a congested area, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons.

I think it's more likely that the reg recognizes that there may be varying degrees of congestion within a city or town's limits than that it's redundant.

Of course, "congested area" itself is one of those terms that can be interpreted narrowly or broadly. From a 1979 FAA Legal opinion:

1. What is the interpretation of the term "congested area of a city, town or settlement" as that term is used in Section 91.79(b) of the FARs?

The meaning of the term "congested area" is determined on a case-by-case basis. It first appeared in the Air Commerce Regulations of 1926. No abstract regulatory definition has yet been developed. However, the following guidelines indicate the interpretations of the Civil Aeronautics board (now National Transportation Safety Board) in attempting to give meaning to the term.

a. The purpose of the rule is to provide minimum safe altitudes for flight and to provide adequate protection to persons on the ground. Thus, it distinguishes flight over sparsely settled areas as well as large metropolitan areas from low flying aircraft. Thus, size of the area is not controlling, and violations of the rule have been sustained for operation of aircraft: (i) over a small congested area consisting of approximately 10 houses and a school (Allman, 5 C.A.B. 8 (1940)); (ii) over campus of a university (Tobin, 5 C.A.B. 162, 164(1941); (iii) over a beach area along a highway, and (iv) over a boy's camp where there were numerous people on the docks and children at play on shore.

b. The presence of people is important to the determination of whether a particular area is "congested." Thus, no violation was found in the case of a flight over a large shop building and four one-family dwellings because, in the words of the CAB examiner, "it is not known (to the court) whether the dwellings were occupied." In that case, the area surrounding the buildings was open, flat and semiarid.

c. The term has been interpreted to prohibit overflights that cut the corners of large, heavily congested residential areas.

As made clear in FAR 91.79, the congested area must be an area of a city, town, or settlement.

Sorry for the hi jack Nick. But along these lines at what point does an ultra light become an LSA. Dont the rules change then?

Thanks

markb5900 said:
Sorry for the hi jack Nick. But along these lines at what point does an ultra light become an LSA. Dont the rules change then?

Thanks

It appears it doesn't become LSA, just illegal without additional work if the Ultralight exceeds 255lbs, holds more than 5 gallons of fuel, flies faster than 55 knots in cruise, or stalls above 24 knots.

SkyHog said:
Thanks, Mark!

Anyone know the other one?

You mean about under the shelf? Yes, that isn't in the B or C airspace.

Edit: Just remembered the transponder thing so now I'm not sure about the 30 mile mode C veil.

Last edited:
ejensen said:
You mean about under the shelf? Yes, that isn't in the B or C airspace.

Edit: Just remembered the transponder thing so now I'm not sure about the 30 mile mode C veil.

As long as the aircraft (ultralight, LSA, experimental, or certified) has no electrical system (IE engine driven generator) a transponder isn't required inside the veil as long as you are outside the Class B itself.

markb5900 said:

Thanks

When it's registered as a homebuilt or other type of certificated aircraft (IE when you get an N number for it).

markb5900 said:

Thanks

When it exceeds the limit..of

(1) Weighs less than 254 pounds empty weight, excluding floats and safety devices which are intended for deployment in a potentially catastrophic situation;

(2) Has a fuel capacity not exceeding 5 U.S. gallons;

(3) Is not capable of more than 55 knots calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight; and

(4) Has a power-off stall speed which does not exceed 24 knots calibrated airspeed.

For the second portion of your question..

The rules do change from part 103 to LSA because the LSA is a certificated aircraft with a "N" number, part 103 are by defination NOT an aircraft read part 103

"§103.1 Applicability.

This part prescribes rules governing the operation of ultralight vehicles in the United States. For the purposes of this part, an ultralight vehicle is a vehicle that:

(a) Is used or intended to be used for manned operation in the air by a single occupant;

(b) Is used or intended to be used for recreation or sport purposes only;

(c) Does not have any U.S. or foreign airworthiness certificate; and

Back