Ukraine Refugees

Stemme

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mtglider
My Wife and I would like to help by housing a family here in the US. We could handle 3 people easily for upwards of 6 months. Anyone familiar with the logistics for such? Is it even possible with immigration issues? We would cover the cost of their travel to the US. Suggestions of whom to contact.

My wife and I had similar thoughts regarding a Ukrainian family. Maybe Ukraine gets more press than the other refugees but we really feel bad for a family that had their homes destroyed for no reason other than they lived in the Ukraine. Maybe I am naive and brain washed by the news but I don’t recall any aggression from Ukraine to Russia that would provoke such an attack and violent takeover. Don’t know if you can pick or choose in the websites shown. Maybe it is bigoted of us but we would only want to host a Ukrainian family to start their lives over here in the US. Yesterday with the constantly rising price of gas at the pump on my way to work I was getting mad that aviation fuel was closing in on $7/gallon. Then listening to the news about the latest report from Ukraine I felt guilty I am more concerned about the cost of flying my airplane. Some of those people don’t even have a house left to go back to and may never see their husbands and fathers again. Hosting a Ukrainian family would be a great example of Americans. That’s all I gave to say about that.

I would rather give up my profession, take up arms and shoot at some Russians. I emphasize shoot at, I’m a crappy shot. But I hate with every fiber of my being what the Russians are doing. Good on you who will house refugees.

If you strike out, just drive here to El Paso ... both Russian and Ukranian refugees have flown to Mexico, bought beater vehicles and are requesting asylum here now ....

Am in the medical field and we used to get a LOT of females from that region for female exams that escaped the human smuggling system ...

I would rather give up my profession, take up arms and shoot at some Russians. I emphasize shoot at, I’m a crappy shot. But I hate with every fiber of my being what the Russians are doing. Good on you who will house refugees.
Problem is, you’d be shooting at the wrong Russians.

Problem is, you’d be shooting at the wrong Russians.
Not if hes' doing it from Ukranian turf and shooting at Russian uniforms. Life expectancy might be a bit short though.

I had the same thought, but in reality... I can shoot damn well, but I'm too old and fat and slow to last more than a couple of hours.

Not if hes' doing it from Ukranian turf and shooting at Russian uniforms. Life expectancy might be a bit short though.
Do you really believe that the attrition of soldiers who don’t make decisions from a country that has historically planned on winning by attrition is going to have a real effect?

Do you really believe that the attrition of soldiers who don’t make decisions from a country that has historically planned on winning by attrition is going to have a real effect?
It worked against those same soldiers in Afghanistan.

Good on the OP for hosting refugees

IBTL

I guess it depends on how many people on the Ukranian side are doing it, how effectively they do it, and for how long. I don't think it's going to be a very fast process, but there is precedent. The Chechens and Afghans managed to send them home, even if it took a while. The Finns had a pretty good run at it as well.

I guess it depends on how many people on the Ukranian side are doing it, how effectively they do it, and for how long. I don't think it's going to be a very fast process, but there is precedent. The Chechens and Afghans managed to send them home, even if it took a while. The Finns had a pretty good run at it as well.
We’ll, I heard the Ukrainians are advertising for shooters on social media, so it ought to be relatively easy.

All we need is for some US Rambo wannabe to get caught shooting at Russians over there to escalate this conflict into something no one but Putin wants.

He doesn't want an escalation. Nobody wants to deal with the NATO air force flying from their own bases.

He doesn't want an escalation. Nobody wants to deal with the NATO air force flying from their own bases.

Interesting comment since everything Putin has done seems aimed at escalation. I’m still trying to figure out if he truly is psychotic or if he just has the worlds worst C2 structure.

He seems to be taking moves straight out of Assad’s playbook.

He's being aggressive in Ukraine, and he's talking a lot. If he wanted to escalate, he'd have driven tanks into Romania along with Ukraine. That would have triggered a NATO response, and we'd have aircraft launched and US and German tanks rolling east. I can't speak to why, without moving from a military to a political discussion.

He miscalculated, now he's trying to figure out an exit strategy... or he really is psychotic. I wouldn't bet either way.

I talked to my copilot about this today (ex-A10) and he said my idea of sending Turkey or Ukraine a half dozen A10s, to lay waste to the Russian convoys would not exactly work; they are very vulnerable to air attack and would need cover in the form of fighters- otherwise the Russian fighters would take them out. And to send in fighters would escalate the war significantly. Ideas?

Which aircraft to send? They've probably been scrapped by now, but if we or the Australians have any F-111's that can be made flyable, those would be fun to give them. Maybe see if Finland would let them fly from there, they're neutral, more or less. It'll never happen, but it would be hilarious. The airframes were pretty beat up in the 80's, but they still had a pretty unique ability to reach out and touch things.

It's being reported he's trying to put Syrians on the payroll for the hard stuff in the cities.

I talked to my copilot about this today (ex-A10) and he said my idea of sending Turkey or Ukraine a half dozen A10s, to lay waste to the Russian convoys would not exactly work; they are very vulnerable to air attack and would need cover in the form of fighters- otherwise the Russian fighters would take them out. And to send in fighters would escalate the war significantly. Ideas?

Polish Fulcrums. Being worked on, but where they will be based is problematic I would think.

He miscalculated, now he's trying to figure out an exit strategy... or he really is psychotic. I wouldn't bet either way.

His (Putins) Problem might be that he did get rid of all the naysayers around him. He is only surrounded by people not opposing. This, I think, is the reason he lost it and misjudged it.

If everyone has the same opinion you could end up in a situation where you lose the big picture.

In addition, he seems to have the dream of re-uniting the soviet union (and becoming the next tsar - which is a bad idea if you look at the fate of the last tsar in existence)

It's being reported he's trying to put Syrians on the payroll for the hard stuff in the cities.
Syrias army has been in war for years now. I don‘t think this will work out. They are pretty much drained. I can‘t imagine this would work out for them to fight on two frontiers.

Back