UI fails

O at least some airbus switch orientation is a customer option. See the toggle switches on the Ext LT panel at bottom, left of center, where on and off are labeled.

a320_cockpit_2182f72355276c06912cc89b1fa7258c6053c68a.png

airbus_320_cockpit_0262987_4491869ee8091547f189c0b9da800fd5d7ea5160.jpg
Airbus also has different shapes for buttons and toggles.. it makes it look a little hodgepodgie but easier to find the correct button

A friend runs a company that does "human factors engineering", primarily on government contracts. He's also a pilot...

I honestly hate how "smart" cars have gotten. If I want it hotter or more air I should not have to click through three different menu options in order to do this

I really miss analog controls. One more reason I plan to keep my FJ forever. For climate I can readily dictate how hard I want it, how hot I want it, and where I want it

It has XM and Bluetooth.. that's all I will ever need any way. The inbuilt nav systems in cars are a disasterous mess.. Google Maps on the phone mount is all I need if I am going somewhere unfamiliar.

We recently got a really nice nearly brand-new Mercedes as a crew car.. two smart(?) pilots could not figure out how to use the nav or input a destination. Total piece of steaming hot trash.. I don't care how much leather there is it made me never want to own a Mercedes

The one item that ****es me off to no end is that these new cars no longer have Temp Gauges. Mine has a Cold and WAY TOO HOT Idiot Light. That tells you nothing but “Well **** that explains the steam erupting out of my engine bay”. I’ve nursed several cars home or to the nearest shop based on how quickly the Temp Gauge moved.

The most annoying one currently is the differences between car shift levers...
My brother built up a Cameron years ago. He ended up going out of state for a while, so I had to drive the car out to the farm & park it in the shed.

It had a manual transmission, and after slipping the clutch all the way through town in what I thought was first gear, :rolleyes: I realized it shifted “upside down”...I was actually in third.

after 20 miles of wondering why everyone else was driving so much under the speed limit, I decided to time a couple of mile markers...I was doing 75 in a 55.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I see it says "38" - I assume that's Celsius.. does this thing actually digitally modulate a set temperature for the water?
Yes it does modulate a set temperature, not digital, just old fashioned analog thermostat. The US version does say 100F. That's where the mid point and safety stop is, then you have to push a release button to go higher.

The original design with one knob marked with a red “H” and the other with a blue “C” was close to the ideal in clarity and simplicity. Now, getting into a shower at a motel can devolve into an IQ test where the penalty for getting it wrong can mean getting scalded. GRRRRRR!
Most start out cold and go to hot as you turn.
In a marina shower - other crew comes out after a very short shower - "no hot water, really sucks".
I get in, turn the knob with my hand in the water - felt a bit of warm when I first turn it on, then goes to cold. OK, they plumbed it backwards. Turn it back counter clockwise, enjoy my first (and hot) shower in days.

The one item that ****es me off to no end is that these new cars no longer have Temp Gauges.
Gauges in new cars (as in last 20 or so years) work more like idiot lights anyhow.
Water will start off cold, get to the middle and not move at all across a wide range of temperatures. If it moves beyond the middle you are already overheating.
Oil pressure reads either 0 or in the middle. Nothing in between, nothing above.
It improves customer satisfaction. Really. Quality ratings go up. Complaints go down. Warranty goes down. Customers are "more confidant" in their vehicle if he gauge never moves. Really.

Most start out cold and go to hot as you turn.
In a marina shower - other crew comes out after a very short shower - "no hot water, really sucks".
I get in, turn the knob with my hand in the water - felt a bit of warm when I first turn it on, then goes to cold. OK, they plumbed it backwards. Turn it back counter clockwise, enjoy my first (and hot) shower in days.
A lot of those aren’t necessarily “plumbed” backwards; you can just take out the valve insert and turn it around.

Don’t ask me how I know. ;)

Water will start off cold, get to the middle and not move at all across a wide range of temperatures. If it moves beyond the middle you are already overheating.
Learned this after I installed some after market gauges.. mine just parks itself in the middle any time the water temp is between 140 and 205. When off road in the summer I do like to know if the water is at 185 (where the thermostat is set) or if it's in the 190s.. or climbing into the 200s.

I honestly hate how "smart" cars have gotten. If I want it hotter or more air I should not have to click through three different menu options in order to do this

I really miss analog controls. One more reason I plan to keep my FJ forever. For climate I can readily dictate how hard I want it, how hot I want it, and where I want it

It has XM and Bluetooth.. that's all I will ever need any way. The inbuilt nav systems in cars are a disasterous mess.. Google Maps on the phone mount is all I need if I am going somewhere unfamiliar.

We recently got a really nice nearly brand-new Mercedes as a crew car.. two smart(?) pilots could not figure out how to use the nav or input a destination. Total piece of steaming hot trash.. I don't care how much leather there is it made me never want to own a Mercedes
LOL You're too young to be a cranky old man already. You rant about airplanes being too archaic and cars being too "smart". That's "get off my lawn" if I ever heard it. ;)

Back