Ugly plane good engine or good looking plane that needs overhaul?

Well, number two is a factory reman, not a rando OH. You won’t ever lose it on the ramp and you can be assured Signature will always tow it away for you. Interior on both is rough. Instruments are thin but newer on number two. And Aircraft Ownership Solutions has a pretty good rep fwiw. If those were the only two M20e for sale, I’d go with #2. And not sure how long it has been listed, but you may be able to beat down the price more just on the paint “scheme.”

I’m not that crazy about looks ,I prefer to put money into upgrading the avionics and safety equipment. as an aside I have purchased an aircraft from aircraft ownership solutions with no complaints.

Well, number two is a factory reman, not a rando OH. You won’t ever lose it on the ramp and you can be assured Signature will always tow it away for you. Interior on both is rough. Instruments are thin but newer on number two. And Aircraft Ownership Solutions has a pretty good rep fwiw. If those were the only two M20e for sale, I’d go with #2. And not sure how long it has been listed, but you may be able to beat down the price more just on the paint “scheme.”
A factory reman may not be all it's cracked up to be. I've read of stories where a reman was Iran'd and the crank that was used was 10/10. So the factory zero timed an engine but puts a crank in that can't be ground again.

Personally, I wouldn't go the reman route. All it is is a parts bin overhaul.

Lycoming is the only FAA-authorized manufacturer that can rebuild your Lycoming engine to an absolute zero-time status. We test every rebuilt engine part to new tolerances, so they meet the same requirements as a brand new Lycoming aircraft engine.

The M20E with the ugly paint job and Lycoming OH is already pending. So no point in considering it in the mix unless it falls out for some reason.

Paint doesn't make a plane fly. If you want to fly now, buy an ugly duckling with a good engine and fly it. Paint it later if you wish. If you buy the pretty plane with a clapped out engine, you are on the hook for the purchase price, plus an overhaul, plus the down time involved, which can be substantial. The latter could still be a good deal if you have the money and the time.

Paint doesn't make a plane fly. If you want to fly now, buy an ugly duckling with a good engine and fly it. Paint it later if you wish. If you buy the pretty plane with a clapped out engine, you are on the hook for the purchase price, plus an overhaul, plus the down time involved, which can be substantial. The latter could still be a good deal if you have the money and the time.
Makes sense, if you can gaurrantee
So finish your PPL! Then hot babes will be swarming all over you. Don't you know pilots are irresistable to the opposite sex?
I hear biplane pilots are even more attractive.

Makes sense, IF you can be guaranteed of the quality of the overhaul.
OTOH, buy the plane with the clapped out engine; get the plane discounted by the price of the overhaul, and you'll know what you get in an overhaul.

My experience with both how companies manage fleets and individual ownership is that if they are neglecting an aircraft cosmetically they are neglecting everything else as well.

Makes sense, IF you can be guaranteed of the quality of the overhaul.
OTOH, buy the plane with the clapped out engine; get the plane discounted by the price of the overhaul, and you'll know what you get in an overhaul.
Kind of like the idea of getting the run out engine, putting an order in for a factory OH engine and flying it until the new engine shows up in 6 months.

Back