ugh, this panel

1. Don't think it's connected to either of the navs in the picture. There's already both a regular VOR head and an HSI (looks like a Century). I'm guessing there's a GPS grafted to the panel somewhere out of that photo's view............

Grafted is right. It's not in the panel, it's attached to the bottom edge of it behind the left side side of the right seat yoke. The plane also has an RMI at the far right edge of the panel

That's not an RMI, it's a remote compass.
You're quibbling. It is indeed an RMI. Some call it a remote compass with indicators, but the proper term is RMI. The two arrows (one single and one double) in the picture point to the stations as tuned (presumably) by the two VORs. As I stated earlier, there's no reason why you can't use it with two VORs but they RMI is usually installed as a tool for dealing with ADFs.

You're quibbling. It is indeed an RMI.

No I'm not, I know quite well what a RMI is, In this case it's a remote compass. No connection to any radio, the knob and dual bar display is a runway indicator, fixed card with north up. I've had them in past airplanes. even the Ad lists it as a remote compass. The big clue is "direction" on the face.
DSCN0470A_600w.JPG

Last edited:
Another question what's up with that attitude indicator. that's on weird looking instrument

I think I saw something like that in an old (1970s?) issue of the AOPA magazine. IIRC, the background is fixed and a little airplane silhouette (like that on a TC) slides up and down the slot in the center of the instrument and tilts side to side to show the attitude.

Back