ugh, this panel

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
talk to me about this panel.

#1 - says 'GPS'.....seems to be some kind of navaid. any chance it's tied into #2?
#2 - wtf??
#3 - I know, egt/cht but what are the dials at the bottom and how freakin old is this thing?
#4 - I'm pretty sure those are nav/coms :) do they each have flip/flop capability or just one freq per? man this thing looks old and outdated.

old****.jpg

#5 - darn I wanted to be the first thread in this forum. too slow, eman.

1 - OBS for your #2... or something.
2 - see above
3 - learn to use it
4 - nothing wrong with those radios

Yeah, its outdated but i dont see any reason as to why you wouldnt be able to fly this efficiently and effectively in todays world.

1. Don't think it's connected to either of the navs in the picture. There's already both a regular VOR head and an HSI (looks like a Century). I'm guessing there's a GPS grafted to the panel somewhere out of that photo's view.

2. I think this is a rudimentary digital tach.

3. The knobs I believe offset the EGT reading so you have a reference for peaking.

4. Not flip flop. These things were the prime radios back in the day. The COM has the ability to store a frequency. The VORs do have the nice feature of allowing the display to be set to the radial (this is what happens when you switch from FREQ to TO or FROM).
Instructions here: http://www.wpaviation.com/html/n8256e_manuals.html

1- Saw one of those in an AA5 once. It already had 2 CDI's like this one (yeah, one of them is the HSI here.) It was for a Garmin GPS, 250 I think. Don't see no GPS here anywhere, maybe way over to the right outta the picture or it has something to do with the WTF is #2.

3- My guess is the dials are for setting a pointer for each cylinder

4- This one I know. Yes, the COM's flip flop, kinda. It's the STORE and RECALL thing. You just don't get to see both Freq's at the same time. Good for going back to the last Freq or preloading what you know the next one is you'll get

Looks like someone build a IFR panel before he really got much IFR time under his belt

4- This one I know. Yes, the COM's flip flop, kinda. It's the STORE and RECALL thing. You just don't get to see both Freq's at the same time. Good for going back to the last Freq or preloading what you know the next one is you'll get

The Collins radios are good transmitters/receivers but the frequency change mechanism is their weak point. There is an S-TEC slide in comm replacement that has 10 frequency memory slots iirc. When one of the frequency tuning mechanisms broke I picked up a used S-TEC for a couple hundred more than the repair of the Collins.

Glad they are all gone from the 'kota now...

Those Collins radios are fun. I've used worse radios.

#2... Does that say N1 and N2 on it?

I think it says RPM X 1. I.e., it's a direct readout of the engine RPM.

that one is kinda obvious in a 'wtf' kinda way. #2 is the one with the red highlited square around it.

Ah whoops. Looking at the wrong thing. What you have there is a DME display. You can see the segments for miles/tenths just above the switch. The switch says N1/HLD/N2. N1/N2 selects which NAV radio the DME receiver is paired with. HLD remembers the frequency selected (either from N1 or N2) and lets you tune the NAV radios to unrelated frequencies.

It's a NARCO DME 195:
IMG_7550.JPG

Also in that box appears to be a BNC plug (possibly a place to plug in a hand held) and some other on/off switch...

Last edited:
#1 Is an indicator, usually associated with the older IFR GPS units. One of the local rental airplanes has one attached to an old Garmin 150.
#2 Looks like a DME, maybe a Narco unit?
#3 Is a KS avionics EGT box. The knobs on the bottom are to adjust the pointers so they all line up to make mixture adjustments easier.
#4 I'm not sure about. Nobody around here has Collins radios.

BAM, and just like that, #2 goes from 'wtf' to 'cross it off the list'. thanks f-ron.

on a side note, I think ALL gauges should be on the 'x 1' scale. so, flying at 5500 x 1 feet, at 140 x 1 mph, burning 9 x 1 gph @ 2500 x 1 rpm and 25 x 1 inches mp. Of course I would be descending at 500 x 1 fpm. can't believe that hasn't caught on yet.

Ah whoops. Looking at the wrong thing. What you have there is a DME display. You can see the segments for miles/tenths just above the switch. The switch says N1/HLD/N2. N1/N2 selects which NAV radio the DME receiver is paired with. HLD remembers the frequency selected (either from N1 or N2) and lets you tune the NAV radios to unrelated frequencies.

It's a NARCO DME 195:
IMG_7550.JPG

Also in that box appears to be a BNC plug (possibly a place to plug in a hand held) and some other on/off switch...

Nice catch.

Datasheet: Tetra II EGT&CHT
for 4-Cylinder Aircraft Engines
The Tetra II is a top of the line systems that provide EGT and CHT monitoring on 4 cylinders. (note there are multi-engine versions of the Tetra, consult factory)

The Tetra II. The Tetra II is an EGT/CHT selectable instrument that has 4 vertical analog needle displays to monitor combustion in all 4 cylinders simultaneously. Since there are no switches to turn you have the full engine temp picture at once. The EGT/CHT scale control allows all 4 pointers to be aligned in flight, hence any engine temp changes will be immediately apparent.

Datasheet: Tetra II EGT&CHT
for 4-Cylinder Aircraft Engines
The Tetra II is a top of the line systems that provide EGT and CHT monitoring on 4 cylinders. (note there are multi-engine versions of the Tetra, consult factory)

The Tetra II. The Tetra II is an EGT/CHT selectable instrument that has 4 vertical analog needle displays to monitor combustion in all 4 cylinders simultaneously. Since there are no switches to turn you have the full engine temp picture at once. The EGT/CHT scale control allows all 4 pointers to be aligned in flight, hence any engine temp changes will be immediately apparent.

nice, 1st post.......thanks!

Wow!!! I thought it was a Very capable looking set up.
Also, It is a very good looking panel.
BTW, I just knew it was Mooney,,, I was right, it is 1967 M20F, with J bar gear...
At least you can see what is missing,,, No ADF, No Loran, nothing you need to cut out and throw away.

If I bought that classic Mooney on my budget,, I wouldnt change a thing!

Wow!!! I thought it was a Very capable looking set up.
Also, It is a very good looking panel.
BTW, I just knew it was Mooney,,, I was right, it is 1967 M20F, with J bar gear...
At least you can see what is missing,,, No ADF, No Loran, nothing you need to cut out and throw away.

If I bought that classic Mooney on my budget,, I wouldnt change a thing!

.....said the owner (maybe broker?) of this plane.

That GPS indicator is for an Appollo GPS. cleverly hidden under the panel on the co-pilot's side.

img.axd

Cool... you don't see RMI's much (especially not in planes without ADFs).

Another question what's up with that attitude indicator. that's on weird looking instrument

Please tell me that is not the mooney you were looking at at Lake Norman?

oh hellz no. that one is pretty nice, but I need 1 partner. this one, with some creative negotiations (drugs and hookers mostly) might be doable on my own.

#1 is a CDI for the Apollo GPS . I don't think that model of Apollo GPS has a moving map so it uses the CDI. On another note it you have a few AMUs to do some panel upgrades, The M20F is a great Mooney. Stretched cabin and fuel efficient.

#1 is a CDI for the Apollo GPS . I don't think that model of Apollo GPS has a moving map so it uses the CDI. On another note it you have a few AMUs to do some panel upgrades, The M20F is a great Mooney. Stretched cabin and fuel efficient.

The GX50 here does indeed have a moving map, but in order for it to be legal IFR it needs the CDI.

I'm watching an instructional video on the gx50. it's actually pretty handy. not that I want to be learning outdated technology, but for VFR it serves it's function.

Back