UFLYMIKE headsets are garbage.

Eskimojoe

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
EskimoJoe
Don't waste your money. They have zero customer service and could care less that their products are defective. I'm a 20,000hr professional pilot and 15 year loyal customer. They Don't GAF. Go for the real Bose, not the janky knock off. I've apparently learned the hard way.

If you never had a problem, what need of customer service did you need?

When I ordered it, I picked the wrong length of microphone. Called them, no problem and they promptly exchanged for the correct one. My fault in ordering, but they were super nice and quickly made the swap.

So they lasted 15 years without a problem? I wish I had an appliance in my house or garage I could say the same thing about.

Besides my DCs. Going on 38 years without a problem. Polish the plugs with Brasso every 10 years or so; that's it. YMMV.

Don't waste your money. They have zero customer service and could care less that their products are defective. I'm a 20,000hr professional pilot and 15 year loyal customer. They Don't GAF. Go for the real Bose, not the janky knock off. I've apparently learned the hard way.
I've had the UflyMike for 14 years and it still works great. The only time that I had an issue they were able to promptly fix it. There have been more problems with my QC15 over those years and Bose didn't want to do anything to help.

Yep, I used mine for many years. The Bose headset portion wore out before the U-Fly Mike. Perhaps you can tell us why the product and support are lacking?

When dealing with customer service, I never thought to let them know about my 20,000 hours of experience, probably because I would think they wouldn’t GAF.

Yep, I used mine for many years. The Bose headset portion wore out before the U-Fly Mike. Perhaps you can tell us why the product and support are lacking?

When dealing with customer service, I never thought to let them know about my 20,000 hours of experience, probably because I would think they wouldn’t GAF.
Of course, generally speaking, no one cares about my total time. They, (UFLYMIKE) Absolutely SHOULD care. My point is that if I owned a company whose product is only desirable to a absolutely minuscule amount of the population, I'd GAF about my core customer. They don't. I earn a living with these devices. It's not a toy and It's not optional. I need a functional headset...just giving it up for two weeks while they figure it out isn't an option. . They should replace up front so I can keep working and then pay for the return of the defective device. I would if it were my company. Just bought a Bose A30 and tossed the UFLYMIKE into the trash. Their customer service sucks as bad as their product.

Last edited:
Of course no one cares about my total time. My point is that if I owned a company whose product is only desirable to a absolutely minuscule amount of the population, I'd GAF about my core customer. They don't. I earn a living with these devices. It's not optional. I need a functional headset...just giving it up for two weeks while they figure it out isn't an option. . They should replace up front so I can keep working and then pay for the return of the defective device. I would if it were my company. Just bought a Bose A30 and tossed the UFLYMIKE into the trash. Their customer service sucks as bad as their product.
You still haven't addressed the key point: What was the issue with the UFM's?

Of course, generally speaking, no one cares about my total time. They, (UFLYMIKE) Absolutely SHOULD care. My point is that if I owned a company whose product is only desirable to a absolutely minuscule amount of the population, I'd GAF about my core customer. They don't. I earn a living with these devices. It's not a toy and It's not optional. I need a functional headset...just giving it up for two weeks while they figure it out isn't an option. . They should replace up front so I can keep working and then pay for the return of the defective device. I would if it were my company. Just bought a Bose A30 and tossed the UFLYMIKE into the trash. Their customer service sucks as bad as their product.
Funny, I sent back an a-30 after I thought it was garbage.

Funny, I sent back an a-30 after I thought it was garbage.
I might too. haven't used it yet. Who knows. I fly with a ton of guys with the a20 and no one has ever complained about it.

I might too. haven't used it yet. Who knows. I fly with a ton of guys with the a20 and no one has ever complained about it.
I had a-20s. Sent the a30's back and found another set of a-20s. Every time I turned my head, talked, or clenched my jaw it sounded like someone rolled down one car window. Very bassy for that split second the seal broke. Maybe I've just got a wonky non standard issue brain bucket.
More comfortable and less clamping force than the 20's. More annoying. The noise cancelling ranges was a stupid "feature". I suspect the less clamping force is what my problem was. My pax tried em on, same thing. The crappiness was felt by both of us immediately and no amount of adjustment helped.

What did the ufm's do that warranted the call to customer service?

I had a-20s. Sent the a30's back and found another set of a-20s. Every time I turned my head, talked, or clenched my jaw it sounded like someone rolled down one car window. Very bassy for that split second the seal broke. Maybe I've just got a wonky non standard issue brain bucket.
More comfortable and less clamping force than the 20's. More annoying. The noise cancelling ranges was a stupid "feature". I suspect the less clamping force is what my problem was. My pax tried em on, same thing. The crappiness was felt by both of us immediately and no amount of adjustment helped.

What did the ufm's do that warranted the call to customer service?
the boom mike rigidity slowly failed. The Mike would never stay where i put it. The boom would relax and pull itself several inches away from my mouth. I have to physically pull the mike back to my mouth on every transmission so ATC can understand what I say. Doing that hundreds of times a month started to get annoying. IDK about the bose. Thanks for the feedback. I hope I like them but its returnable either way. The variable noise cancellation feature is completely stupid. I don't even know why their engineers went down that path. It's smaller than the a20. That's why I went this route.

Did the Ufly Mike have 15 year warranty?

So you had a product for 15 years, it started to sag, and you didn't want to wait 2 weeks for them to fix it / look at it. Am I close?
No Mav. it's a longer story than that.

Beginning to see why customer service was a negative experience for you.

"You get more flies with honey than vinegar"

I need to heed that saying more myself.

Beginning to see why customer service was a negative experience for you.

"You get more flies with honey than vinegar"

I need to heed that saying more myself.
Cool. does honey pay the bills?

The Bose ones are starting to bother me, clamps the head too tightly, the noise cancelling hurts my ears and doesn’t let them pop easily.

Thanks for the review, but if the product is a “janky knockoff”, why were you a loyal customer for 15 years? The price points between Bose and IFM are not even close and you expected the same level of support?

Last edited:
So to summarize, what we’ve gathered is:

You are a 20,000 hour pilot who has had the same headset setup for the past 15 years. When, after repeated use, it did not perform as well as it used to, you expected the company to replace it for free with the prospect that you MIGHT pay for that replacement after they evaluated it. When the company said, “Our product is not super overpriced, and doesn’t come with a lifetime warranty,” your response was not to pay the $80 to buy a replacement boom, or the $310 for a full new rig, but to pay $1,250 for a completely new headset, then come to the internet to complain about the inexpensive company’s lack of sending you something for free.

Don’t get me wrong, I think my Bose headsets (A20s) are worth every penny I've paid for them (which was also <50% of their retail price), but if in 10 years, something isn’t working like the day I bought it, I’ll probably buy a new one or try to repair what I have.

Lesson #1 of consumerism: I, the customer am ALWAYS right.

Lesson #1 of reality: Nothing lasts forever.

Lesson #1 of business: If you do something well, don’t do it for free.

Lesson #1 of the internet: Don’t let the trolls get you!

Lesson #1 of aviation: Pull out your wallet and then I’ll tell you what lesson #1 is!

They are such garbage you used them for 15 years?

I fly for a living and I find the Bose A20s aren't really durable enough for professional use (in rural Alaska anyway). I like the audio part and they're comfortable, but you have to go way out of your way to baby that cord and the controller.

I have two sets so I can send the other one in, but Bose has been good and flips them quickly.

Meanwhile I've got Peltors going on 20 years old that still work like new. Their passive NR is nearly as good as ANR with no need to deal with batteries.

So you had a product for 15 years, it started to sag, and you didn't want to wait 2 weeks for them to fix it / look at it. Am I close?

And expect them to give him a replacement up front and pay to ship back the 15 year old one.

I have had a unfly mike for ten years plus and they are my back up/passengers/traveling pair cause u never know when u might get a chance to fly. Non pro here. Have two sets of the bose noise canceling headsets and one u fly mike. Love the product but not my primary flying headset.

Honey pays the bills, cleans the house, makes the meals and keeps my bed warm at night...
Let me guess. On Halloween you walk around the neighborhood dressed like a giant bee. Got pictures?

Back