uAvionix Skybeacon anti-collision strobes.

Gino Shtirlits

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Shtirlits
There are three wires on the unit. Red (navigation +), black (common -), yellow (anti-collision +). It says on the yellow wire: only 14 volts, no high voltage. Does it mean if I connect my + to the yellow wire the strobe will work? I tried but it didn't work. Is any other requirements?

There are three wires on the unit. Red (navigation +), black (common -), yellow (anti-collision +). It says on the yellow wire: only 14 volts, no high voltage. Does it mean if I connect my + to the yellow wire the strobe will work? I tried but it didn't work. Is any other requirements?
The yellow wire will not do anything unless you have the red connected first. (and obviously black as well)

Red powers the entire device, and yellow signals that the strobe should be on, so without red, you got nada.

What you should not do is hook a high voltage strobe wire to the yellow wire. 12-24 volts will be fine, but will only work if the red is also connected as mentioned above.

Last edited:
The strobes turn on and off through the uAvionics setup app.
True. That is meant to be used if you wire the red and yellow wires together. If you have a separate switch for anti collision, then you can control the strobes with the switch by wiring the yellow to that switch rather than the nav switch with the red wire.

True. That is meant to be used if you wire the red and yellow wires together. If you have a separate switch for anti collision, then you can control the strobes with the switch by wiring the yellow to that switch rather than the nav switch with the red wire.
It would be not good solution to control the strobes from cell phone in a flight. I am going to install remote controlled relay in my wingtip.

Sounds like a Rube Goldberg setup. I would run another power wire to your wingtip if possible.
Sure. New wire and extra switch would be the best solution. But I am not sure how to make it legally. I am Private Pilot and I don't want to hire mechanic for the wiring. Relay is looking good decision because it can be done detachable.

I am Private Pilot and I don't want to hire mechanic for the wiring.
FYI: as a pilot you can not replace the position light assy with a Skybeacon under preventative maintenance as its an alteration. Best to get your mechanic to install the Skybeacon and run a separate wire switch for the strobe. Using a relay does not change things provided we are talking about a N registered aircraft here.

FYI: as a pilot you can not replace the position light assy with a Skybeacon under preventative maintenance as its an alteration. Best to get your mechanic to install the Skybeacon and run a separate wire switch for the strobe. Using a relay does not change things provided we are talking about a N registered aircraft here.
Yup. Even unscrewing the existing light requires that the aircraft be returned to service by a certified mechanic. Silly, perhaps, but that’s the regs.

Even unscrewing the existing light
FWIW: I think if you wanted to read into the prevent mx task on position lights a little deeper you could get away with removing/installing the light assy to replace the bulb, reflector, or lense and sign it on your PPC. But installing a different type light is not.

Relay is looking good decision because it can be done detachable.
I assume you are talking about some kind of RF remote relay? If so, that is a terrible decision, unless you have the expertise to analyze interference with other aircraft systems. Radio reception, navigation, and instrument readings could all be adversely affected by installation of components not designed or tested for aircraft use.

Aircraft electrical systems are simple and robust for a reason.

Find an A&P willing to let you work under supervision. Add a breaker and switch to your bus, then run tefzel wire to your wingtip. It will not be hard and will not require special tools. The A&P will check your plan and materials beforehand, inspect your work, do a function check, and make the log entry. It will be legal, done right, and you will learn a lot.

FWIW: I think if you wanted to read into the prevent mx task on position lights a little deeper you could get away with removing/installing the light assy to replace the bulb, reflector, or lense and sign it on your PPC. But installing a different type light is not.
I meant the light itself, not the bulb.

The OP is discussing the wiring of the light. That is my reference point. You don’t have to rewire the light to replace a bulb. Generally.

That is my reference point.
Was simply replying to your single screw comment below and not the OPs post. Don't see why a pilot/owner couldn't unscrew the existing lite assy. But changing the assy to a different type and rewire is definitely not included.

Even unscrewing the existing light requires that the aircraft be returned to service by a certified mechanic. Silly, perhaps, but that’s the regs.

I assume you are talking about some kind of RF remote relay? If so, that is a terrible decision, unless you have the expertise to analyze interference with other aircraft systems. Radio reception, navigation, and instrument readings could all be adversely affected by installation of components not designed or tested for aircraft use.

Aircraft electrical systems are simple and robust for a reason.

Find an A&P willing to let you work under supervision. Add a breaker and switch to your bus, then run tefzel wire to your wingtip. It will not be hard and will not require special tools. The A&P will check your plan and materials beforehand, inspect your work, do a function check, and make the log entry. It will be legal, done right, and you will learn a lot.
Yes. I am about the device like car remote control. Unfortunately my A&P's qualification is very low. I have to tie loosed nuts and to put missing screws after his annual inspection. That's why I don't want to deal with him. I have found another guy by my friend's reference but didn't visit him yet. Will try to talk to him about new installation.

Last edited:
Yes. I am about the device like car remote control. Unfortunately my A&P's qualification is very low. I have to tie loosed nuts and to put missing screws after his annual inspection. That's why I don't want to deal with him. I have found another guy by my friend's reference but didn't visit him yet. Will try to talk to him about new installation.
If you don't have confidence in your current A&P, then you have bigger problems to worry about than nav lights. You are literally trusting your life to that person. Find a good one and have the project done right, using FAA acceptable methods and practices. Breaker, switch, wire. To me, that is more important than the legality.

Appendix A allows replacement of nonstructural standard fasteners.
I have checked with the Appendix A and found there 30 works. The closest to mine is "(17) Replacing bulbs, reflectors, and lenses of position and landing lights." Likely most #17 doesn't cover my project.

If you don't have confidence in your current A&P, then you have bigger problems to worry about than nav lights. You are literally trusting your life to that person. Find a good one and have the project done right, using FAA acceptable methods and practices. Breaker, switch, wire. To me, that is more important than the legality.
Yes. That's why I was looking for another one.

Likely most #17 doesn't cover my project.
No likely about it. While there is guidance stating those 31 preventative maintenance tasks in 43 Appdx A(c) are not specific tasks but more defined as categories of work, a pilot cannot perform alterations to their aircraft. Part replacements and other defined work yes but installing a different part and wiring it up is not in that venue. If you truly are concerned about your mechanic my recommendation would be to spend the time finding another one who has your confidence and have him review your aircraft for other potential issues. Trying to wing a position light upgrade because you don't trust your mechanic only digs your hole deeper because as the owner you are the one who is ultimately held responsible for the aircraft airworthiness per the regulations.

A pilot can, but it has to be under supervision.
But in the context of the thread a pilot cannot perform an alteration under Appdx A(c) and sign it off under his certificate as the OP was attempting. A pilot can also overhaul an engine, under supervision, but in the OPs case he had no supervision. The Coleal letter and other similar guidance on preventative mx doesnt change the alteration aspect.

Back