UAvionix AV-30-C in Cherokee

I have the same excessive DG drift in mine. Hope to get the firmware update in soon and see what happens. The concept is nice and pricing for a VFR aircraft instrument without the need for vacuum is very nice. I think I was in the 15 lb weight savings range as well. If the firmware update fixes the drift It will be an excellent instrument. Otherwise I'm severely disappointed.

Unfortunately, the new 2.1.4 update does not address any DG drift issues.
Description of the new update.
AV-30-C Software v2.1.4 implements the following changes:

• Fix GPS waypoint and data rendering issues
  • Enable BeaconX transponder functionality
  • Enhance transponder annunciations
  • Fix rendering issues on several screens with LCD font
  • Fix Serial 3 selection issue

Too bad there's no way to make the GPS heading adjustable so we can offset it for magnetic variation.

What good is an autopilot linked to the heading bug of an AV30 DG that processes 35 degrees in a half hour?

Gleaned from the other thread in case you missed it (baby steps IMHO):

https://uavionix.com/uavionix-annou...netometer-support-for-av-30-e-panel-displays/

uAvionix announces digital autopilot and external magnetometer support for AV-30-E panel displays

03/21/22|Press Release
Bigfork, Montana – March 21, 2022 – uAvionix is pleased to announce the AV-30-E multimode indicator now includes digital autopilot and external magnetometer interface capabilities.

With the ability to control autopilot heading, altitude, and vertical speed from its intuitive user interface, the AV-30-E provides a highly integrated and capable replacement for traditional attitude indicators and directional gyro instruments. Simplified installation is accomplished by supporting modern, digital autopilots. No expensive interface adapters are required. A no-cost software upgrade for the non-certified AV-30-E is available now, featuring support for the following autopilots:

TruTrak.jpg

• TruTrak Vizion 385 and Vizion PMA
  • BendixKing xCruze 100 and AeroCruze 100
Additional digital autopilots, including the Trio Pro Pilot, are undergoing integration testing. Certification of the autopilot interface capabilities, for the AV-30-C, is underway. Development of interface adapters for analog autopilots continues, building on the core autopilot interface support now introduced.

In addition to autopilot interface capabilities, the AV-30 series will soon gain support for an external magnetometer, the uAvionix AV-Mag. Designed with a best-in-class magnetic sensor, the AV-Mag allows for increased performance and decreased workload through zero-drift magnetically slaved DG operation. More AV-Mag information will be made available shortly. Certified units, and corresponding software updates, will follow.

What good is an autopilot linked to the heading bug of an AV30 DG that processes 35 degrees in a half hour?

In my opinion, it's of no value if the AV-30 remains as is.

The fact that uAvionix is announcing the future incorporation of an external magnetometer tells me that they know there is a problem and that more software updates isn't going to fix it. I hope the magnetometer fixes the precession issue because if it does, then an autopilot interface is also viable.

Interesting point you make. They know there is a problem with precession and yet they are telling perspective customers that the problem is fixed with the 2.1.2 firmware update and the addition of a "magnetic sensor". I have emails from a certain individual from Uavionics stating just that to me.

In my opinion, it's of no value if the AV-30 remains as is.

The fact that uAvionix is announcing the future incorporation of an external magnetometer tells me that they know there is a problem and that more software updates isn't going to fix it. I hope the magnetometer fixes the precession issue because if it does, then an autopilot interface is also viable.

Scroll down a bit to where they talk about the external magnetometer.

Scroll down a bit to where they talk about the external magnetometer.
I did. I also scrolled down in other publications and read how the problem was fixed with firmware updates and internal sensors. I have emails from them assuring me that the problem was fixed and then offered 5% off if I buy two.

Too bad there's no way to make the GPS heading adjustable so we can offset it for magnetic variation.

You select True or Magnetic on your GPS but regardless GPS does not display heading, it displays track.

Back