UAVIONIX and Flight tracking on apps

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by ZackJ, Jun 1, 2019.

1. ZackJ

ZackJ Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    inferno8428
    Recently purchased an aircraft - and I fly it regularly. I wanted to know why flightradar24 would show previous owners flight path and not mine. I made sure Uavionix (Skybeacon TSO) is powered and functional during take off. I also ran a FAA ADSB progress report to make sure no errors were reported. Everything looks fine but cant figure out why flight path does not show. Any ideas?

2. Jesse Saint

Jesse Saint Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jesse Saint
    I don’t know why it reported past flights, but Flightradar24 generally only tracks 1090ES aircraft. I have seen UAT planes show up from time to time, but never regularly.

Mtns2Skies likes this.
  3. Doug Reid

Doug Reid Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doug Reid
    Jesse Saint is correct ! Unless the aircraft has filed IFR, there is usually no tracking for 978UAT on flightaware or flightradar sites...

4. cgrab

cgrab Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    cgrab
    All of my Skybeacon flights are on Flight Aware. There was a two or three week period where I saw nothing and then all of a sudden they all appeared.

5. Doug Reid

Doug Reid Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doug Reid
    Most flight tracking is designed around 1090..I would mot be surprised if they add 978 as well. At our airport, the FBO has a 1090 receiver connected to flightaware. If you do touch and goes with a 1090ES transponder, it tracks your movement even when you are rolling down the runway.

6. Lynn Dixon

Lynn Dixon Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    CubedRoot
    FlightAware is helping develop a version of dump1090 (dump978 / PiAware) so that data feeders can start feeding 978UAT data as well as 1090es. I have a feeder that I send data to FlightAware and FlightRadar24.

I'd imagine that once dump978 / PiAware has gotten stable and feeders start adding a second radio to receive 978, you'll start seeing 978 flights popping up more and more. Most of the feeders are completely voluntary.