Uavionix/Aerovonics AV-30 Certified Units

I’m not holding my breath on any promises of dates with this unit.
I'm not holding my breath on any promises of dates with anything that goes through the FAA, uAvionix or not. :)

well whenever this gets certified, this has a big potential to eat into G5 space.

They have committed to full HSI functionality and legacy autopilot support for the AV-30. Would be nice if the other AV suppliers had the army of engineers and program managers Garmin has hired to get equipment out more quickly and through certification in a more timely manner.

Has anyone been flying with this cool lil guy yet!?

It's been radio silence on it lately!

Since the original announcement of this product a couple of years ago I have had an ongoing dialogue with the AV-30 product development team. First with Jeff Bethel of Aerovonics (the guy that developed the product), and then with a couple of people at uAvionix after the product line changed hands. My goal was to keep the communication channel open and apply some pressure to keep the flow of information coming to us. About a week ago, shortly before their announcement was posted on the website, I received a very detailed personal message from the uAvionix Director of Sales, Shane Woodson, in response to my plea for a status update. It was an encouraging correspondence which included an apology for the infrequent updates on the certification status. My take away from this message was a sense that uAvionix is committed to the product's success. This makes sense because the AV-30 represents a new line of business for uAvionix; a valuable adjunct to their ADS-B products. Considering these recent updates my excitement about the AV-30 is re-energized. I think the combination of the price point and the feature set will make this a winning product.

Does anyone know if an AV-30 will accept nav data from either a KX-165, or a Garmin GNC-255?

Does anyone know if an AV-30 will accept nav data from either a KX-165, or a Garmin GNC-255?
Unless there's some way to translate a composite analog signal to "Aviation Moving Map" format over RS232, no.

Annotation 2020-05-16 152635.png Annotation 2020-05-16 152803.png

from those pinouts, i would guess support for nav data from a digital radio, such as the garmin, will be supported in the future. as to analog radios, that is an issue for any efis setup. there is no converter out there to do that. it is possible, the question is does anybody see a large enough market to invest the money to get the thing out there and certified and at what price point. if the converter and the installation is too much it might just be a better deal to upgrade to new digital radios. time will tell. I have talked to one avionics manufacture about just such a box, there only comment is, "we have been looking at it"

Back