U.S. Patent Office Cancels Redskins' Trademark Registrations

I don't know where they come up with this crap sometimes, especially when the actual history is well-documented. I mean, don't they teach about the Penn Treaty in history class anymore? I think I was in third grade when we learned about it...

-Rich

Perhaps there is value in pursuing history beyond the third grade?

Six of them, including the Redskinettes, according to SI.com.

What a great use of government resources. :mad:

This PC **** is out of control. Discuss.

What about the Pittsburgh Pirates? We can't have a team named after the thieves of the sea. Or Vikings, didn't they rape, burn, and pillage? Raiders? Doesn't sound like a nice group of young men to me. Packers? Isn't that derogatory towards gays? And the Cardinals? Won't the catholic church have a say on that one?

I'm sure there is a lot more if I think about it.

What about the Pittsburgh Pirates? We can't have a team named after the thieves of the sea. Or Vikings, didn't they rape, burn, and pillage? Raiders? Doesn't sound like a nice group of young men to me. Packers? Isn't that derogatory towards gays? And the Cardinals? Won't the catholic church have a say on that one?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'd suggest they change their name the the Washington Senators, but then they'd need 3/5 of the players to agree before they could call a play.

This is simply a distraction by Harry Reid to take the heat off Obama. Only he is offended by the term for political reasons.

I'd suggest they change their name the the Washington Senators, but then they'd need 3/5 of the players to agree before they could call a play.

Now that depends on the type of play under current Senate rules. It may only require a simple majority. :D

Hey, just leave my Huskers out of it. :lol:

I think the Washington Redskins SHOULD change their name. I find the term Washington offensive.

I'm also offended by the government's use of Indian names to describe a lot of their military equipment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

P.S. On 20 June 2014 my wife will stand in front of a federal judge and swear oath of alligiance to the United States of America to become a naturalized citizen. She has fulfilled the requirements to become an American citizen. I am damned proud of her and any illegal immigrant or democrat that thinks it is their right to become an instant citizen just because they are here can go to jail, go to hell and GO HOME.!!!! If you do not like what I have said, read paragragh #2.

Congratulations to your wife. She, and all the others who have taken the time and effort to come to this country in accordance with the law and then become citizens are more than welcome. Have a great celebration on Friday.

P.S. On 20 June 2014 my wife will stand in front of a federal judge and swear oath of alligiance to the United States of America to become a naturalized citizen. She has fulfilled the requirements to become an American citizen. I am damned proud of her and any illegal immigrant or democrat that thinks it is their right to become an instant citizen just because they are here can go to jail, go to hell and GO HOME.!!!!

I'm waiting out my eligibility time myself. 681 days until I'm eligible.

Congrats.

Exactly right. White Sox - in a predominantly black neighborhood? Buccaneers? That's likely a slur to both pirates AND gays. We could go on all day.

I think the Washington Redskins SHOULD change their name. I find the term Washington offensive.

I'm also offended by the government's use of Indian names to describe a lot of their military equipment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I never thought about that! The Apache? Seriously? It shall now be called the Finch.

My parents became US citizens in the early 70's, I was a kid and didn't realize the significance of it until later in my life. They have truly lived the American dream, building a business and having a wonderful son and a daughter! :D:D

I'm waiting out my eligibility time myself. 681 days until I'm eligible.

Congrats.

Although I disagree with the government's approach in an attempt to force the name change it is true that many Native Americans find the name Redskin very offensive. I have a friend who is a member of the Ojibwa tribe and she has educated me on many of these issues. Many people in this world are too thin skinned and easily insulted but it's worse to be rude or insensitive. The owner(s) should voluntarily rename the team.

New Logo, Take 2:

attachment.php

Attachments

• washingtonthinskins.jpg
    washingtonthinskins.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 84
several years ago the Washington basketball team changed their name from the bullets to the wizards. At the time the owner said it was because bullets was bad because of the high shooting rate in the DC area. Many including myself just thought it was a ploy to sell a lot of new jerseys and other trinkets. I'm somewhat surprised that Snyder does not do the same thing and reap the rewards of selling a lot of new jerseys at 100.00 a pop.

Fortunately for all - the USPO didn't cancel anything to do with the Tomahawk Chop so all the Redskins, FSU Seminoles, Atlanta Braves, Kansas City Chiefs, and other team fans can continue to chant and chop.

Next on the chopping block must be the Fighting Irish and their angry little leprechaun. It seems only fair, the University of North Dakota was forced to lose the "Fighting Sioux" name.

Three pages of this and I can't find anything to say that hasn't already been said by page one.

Three pages of this and I can't find anything to say that hasn't already been said by page one.

Is this your first time in the Spin Zone? ;)

The day one side successfully changes the mind of the other in the SZ, the SZ is finished.

The West Georgia Braves became the West Georgia Wolves a few years ago, not a real popular move with the alumni or the general public. There was some bumper stickers and t-shirts that said, "Keep the Braves, Dump the Indian" a very politically incorrect shot at the president of the school, who is from India. :dunno:
The WG baseball team actually got a lot of there equipment free from the Atlanta Braves, now I am not sure if any Wolves teams donate to them.:dunno:
If you really look at many, if not most, team mascots they can be offensive to some group. Sucks to be thin skinned, but a lot of folks enjoy being offended, glad I am not one of them. Although "Fat Matt's Rib Shack" is pretty insulting to us fat guys! ;)

Fortunately for all - the USPO didn't cancel anything to do with the Tomahawk Chop so all the Redskins, FSU Seminoles, Atlanta Braves, Kansas City Chiefs, and other team fans can continue to chant and chop.

Next on the chopping block must be the Fighting Irish and their angry little leprechaun. It seems only fair, the University of North Dakota was forced to lose the "Fighting Sioux" name.

several years ago the Washington basketball team changed their name from the bullets to the wizards. At the time the owner said it was because bullets was bad because of the high shooting rate in the DC area. Many including myself just thought it was a ploy to sell a lot of new jerseys and other trinkets. I'm somewhat surprised that Snyder does not do the same thing and reap the rewards of selling a lot of new jerseys at 100.00 a pop.

Well, the Bullets was a dumb name for the team. The problem is the team had moved twice since they adopted the name "The Baltimore Bullets" which has a nice alliteration. However, not changing the names of teams leads to stupidities like the LA Lakers or the Utah Jazz.

When they named the Washington Capitals, they gave everybody who submitted that name a free season ticket for that year. When they had the contest for the Wizard, only one name was drawn.

I suggested the "Washington Drug Lords" but they didn't pick that one for some reason. I still tend to refer to the team by that name.

That's USPTO. And the USPTO doesn't have the authority to do anything with regard to abolishing trademarks. All they can do is deny registration.

The day one side successfully changes the mind of the other in the SZ, the SZ is finished.

I guess I didn't read enough of the thread to realize there were two sides.

If you don't like the name don't support the team-PERIOD. The government has enough problems to solve- this isn't one of them. While we are at it get rid of BET, everyone who is not black should be offended- lets have RET Redskin Entertainment Television!

Just goes to you show that you need to be careful what you take as fact.

The earliest known appearance of the term in print occurred on October 9, 1813 in an article quoting a letter dated August 27, 1813 from a gentleman at St. Louis concerning an expedition being formed and to be led by Gen. Benjamin Howard to "route the savages from the Illinois and Mississippi territories[.]" "The expedition will be 40 days out, and there is no doubt but we shall have to contend with powerful hordes of red skins, as our frontiers have been lined with them last summer, and have had frequent skirmishes with our regulars and rangers."[7]

However, linguist Ives Goddard has stated, "When it first appeared as an English expression in the early 1800s, "it came in the most respectful context and at the highest level," Goddard said in an interview. "These are white people and Indians talking together, with the white people trying to ingratiate themselves."[8] It was not until July 22, 1815, that "red skin" first appeared in a news story in the Missouri Gazette on talks between Midwestern Indian tribes and envoys sent by President James Madison to negotiate treaties after the War of 1812.

The term derives from the use of "red" color metaphor for race following European colonization of the Western Hemisphere, and one of the earliest known citations of its use is by a Native American called Chief Black Thunder [9] in which he stated:"My Father—Restrain your feelings, and hear ca[l]mly what I shall say. I shall tell it to you plainly, I shall not speak with fear and trembling. I feel no fear. I have no cause to fear. I have never injured you, and innocence can feel no fear. I turn to all, red skins and white skins, and challenge an accusation against me".

Although initial explorers and later Anglo-Americans termed Native Americans light-skinned, brown, tawny, or russet, according to historian Alden T. Vaughan, "Not until the middle of the eighteenth century did most Anglo-Americans view Indians as significantly different in color from themselves, and not until the nineteenth century did red become the universally accepted color label for American Indians."[10]

It is argued by sociologist Irving Lewis Allen that slang identifiers for ethnic groups based upon physical characteristics are by nature derogatory, emphasizing the difference between the speaker and the target.[11] However, Professor Luvell Anderson of the University of Memphis, in his paper " Slurring Words ", argues that for a word to be a slur, the word must communicate ideas beyond identifying a target group, and that, slurs are offensive because the additional data contained in those words differentiates those individuals from otherwise accepted groups.[12]

Where do you think the term comes from?

After the Dakota War of 1862, Indians were banished from the territories. Any bounty hunter could turn in the scalp and skin of a Indian to the state, proving the kill, for $200. The scalps and skins were call Red-skins.

Personally I don't care what Snyder does, it's his team. But that image changed my perception of the "proud heritage" behind the name. Yes, the idea of skinning humans for money I find offensive.

YMMV.

J
It is argued by sociologist Irving Lewis Allen that slang identifiers for ethnic groups based upon physical characteristics are by nature derogatory, emphasizing the difference between the speaker and the target.[11] However, Professor Luvell Anderson of the University of Memphis, in his paper " Slurring Words ", argues that for a word to be a slur, the word must communicate ideas beyond identifying a target group, and that, slurs are offensive because the additional data contained in those words differentiates those individuals from otherwise accepted groups.[12]

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slur that day, I can tell you!

Still hasn't been relocated to the SZ yet.
I think once moved there, it will get all back and forth and racist and siht

Just goes to you show that you need to be careful what you take as fact.

The earliest known appearance of the term in print occurred on October 9, 1813 in an article quoting a letter dated August 27, 1813 from a gentleman at St. Louis concerning an expedition being formed and to be led by Gen. Benjamin Howard to "route the savages from the Illinois and Mississippi territories[.]" "The expedition will be 40 days out, and there is no doubt but we shall have to contend with powerful hordes of red skins, as our frontiers have been lined with them last summer, and have had frequent skirmishes with our regulars and rangers."[7]

However, linguist Ives Goddard has stated, "When it first appeared as an English expression in the early 1800s, "it came in the most respectful context and at the highest level," Goddard said in an interview. "These are white people and Indians talking together, with the white people trying to ingratiate themselves."[8] It was not until July 22, 1815, that "red skin" first appeared in a news story in the Missouri Gazette on talks between Midwestern Indian tribes and envoys sent by President James Madison to negotiate treaties after the War of 1812.

The term derives from the use of "red" color metaphor for race following European colonization of the Western Hemisphere, and one of the earliest known citations of its use is by a Native American called Chief Black Thunder [9] in which he stated:"My Father—Restrain your feelings, and hear ca[l]mly what I shall say. I shall tell it to you plainly, I shall not speak with fear and trembling. I feel no fear. I have no cause to fear. I have never injured you, and innocence can feel no fear. I turn to all, red skins and white skins, and challenge an accusation against me".

Although initial explorers and later Anglo-Americans termed Native Americans light-skinned, brown, tawny, or russet, according to historian Alden T. Vaughan, "Not until the middle of the eighteenth century did most Anglo-Americans view Indians as significantly different in color from themselves, and not until the nineteenth century did red become the universally accepted color label for American Indians."[10]

What's your point?
How does your fact contradict mine? The Dakota should somehow feel better about having been hunted for bounty since the word first appeared in print some 50 years prior?

Spoken like a true pansy ass Liberal.

I can say that now. I took an online quiz and it turns out I am a moderate whatever that is.

Stupid liberals.

Sounds like fun. Post a link and I promise to share my results.

Well, the Bullets was a dumb name for the team. The problem is the team had moved twice since they adopted the name "The Baltimore Bullets" which has a nice alliteration. However, not changing the names of teams leads to stupidities like the LA Lakers or the Utah Jazz.

When they named the Washington Capitals, they gave everybody who submitted that name a free season ticket for that year. When they had the contest for the Wizard, only one name was drawn.

I suggested the "Washington Drug Lords" but they didn't pick that one for some reason. I still tend to refer to the team by that name.

They really missed the boat on that one. Among the suggestions was the Washington Press, which I thought was really good for a basketball team. The Washington Monuments was another I liked.

What I don't understand is how thin skinned people (red or not) can be offended when the name is used in a positive way. No mascot or name is paraded around in a ridiculing way. It is revered by the fans of that team or sport. People take enormous pride in their mascots or names (until they become neutered, like the Syracuse Orange - WTF is that?)

What I think is funny is reading and listening to news reports from sources that last year declared they would no longer use the name "Redskins". They are really having to work hard to report on the story of the Washington NFL team with the racial slur nickname.

What I don't understand is how thin skinned people (red or not) can be offended when the name is used in a positive way. No mascot or name is paraded around in a ridiculing way. It is revered by the fans of that team or sport. People take enormous pride in their mascots or names (until they become neutered, like the Syracuse Orange - WTF is that?)
"Redskins" is a slur with no positive connotation and in my opinion an inappropriate team name. This word is understandably insulting to many Native Americans. I believe that the world would be a better place if people were more respectful of each other.

"Redskins" is a slur with no positive connotation and in my opinion an inappropriate team name. This word is understandably insulting to many Native Americans. I believe that the world would be a better place if people were more respectful of each other.

Yet no one was outraged until a couple of years ago. Why do you think that is?

This is selective outrage at its best, fomented by professional rabble rousers.

In my view of things, "Redskins" is a slur with no positive connotation and in my opinion an inappropriate team name. This word is, for those who believe as I do, understandably insulting to many Native Americans. I believe that the world would be a better place if people were more respectful of each other.

I helped you out there.

There are those who believe it to be the height of disrespect when one person presumes to know what another person is thinking, and imputes foul intent as a result.

Yet no one was outraged until a couple of years ago. Why do you think that is?

This is selective outrage at its best, fomented by professional rabble rousers.

Actually, they were outraged. I remember hearing the grumbling back when I was a kid. What's happening now is they've got better representation, most likely because some of of the "sovereign nation" status is giving them some profits from tobacco, casino, and financial businesses that use the status to dodge some onerous federal and local regulation.

Your comments sound like the typical excuse of the bigot. Heard the exact smae words used for why blacks shouldn't have equal rights, etc... It's always outside rabble rousers and not the good ol' peaceful and content, yet downtrodden victims of the abuse.

Back