U.S. experimental insurance to Greenland

Exp Pilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Exp Pilot
After receiving 5 NO's, I thought I would try here. I would like to fly my RV-7 to Greenland. The Greenland (Danish) Aviation Authority is requiring proof of a policy that meets EC 785/2004 requirements. AOPA, EAA, Falcon, BWI, Gallagher, all said no.
Can anyone offer a lead for insurance to fly to Greenland.

Try pinging Stefan Drury - he's a Cirrus pilot out of Australia - I know he recently went into Greenland and Iceland, departing from Scotland, I beleive. He flys in the U.S., as well. He does YouTube videos and I think his contact info is avilable from there.

Avemco? They're their own underwriter, unlike all the other agents who all use the same underwriters.

Thanks for the replies. Sent a email to Stephan, will try Clemens.
Avemco said NO over the phone.

Does the insurance need to specify the EC 785/2004 or does it just need to meet the requirements of it. Reading through the regulation it looks like it’s just a liability policy needed with relatively low minimums. I would think that if you had a liability policy on your plane already that there’s a good chance it already meets the requirements.

My policy states: losses to the aircraft which are sustained during the policy period, while the aircraft is within the United States of America, Canada, Mexico or the Bahama Islands or while en route between points therein.
The Greenland Aviation Authority is requesting among other things:
Insurance documents in compliance with EC 785/2004, including third party liability.
I would need to raise my liability coverage to 1.5 million, but as it says above I would be out of bounds. Taken literally that statement would seem to cover an Around the World flight, but I’m not goin there.

Sent my insurance agent a message asking about Lloyd’s of London.

Try some European insurers. They often cover Greenland by default. They wouldn't cover anything US or Canada though so you'd need to keep the US policy active.

So far 3 companies in Europe have said NO. It appears they can’t, or won’t, write a policy for an aircraft that is not registered in their own country. Asked my broker about Lloyds of
London, and she replied that they are just another broker. Not sure about that.
Still searching,

Lloyds is a reinsurer, not a broker. They rarely write policies to individuals.

After receiving 5 NO's, I thought I would try here. I would like to fly my RV-7 to Greenland. The Greenland (Danish) Aviation Authority is requiring proof of a policy that meets EC 785/2004 requirements. AOPA, EAA, Falcon, BWI, Gallagher, all said no.
Can anyone offer a lead for insurance to fly to Greenland.

Do you know the specific declination reasons? Was it solely they would not offer coverage to Greenland or was it the combination of aircraft and Greenland? Was your pilot experience a factor? Are you planning to make the flight between May and September? A good insurance broker should be able to discuss the reasons for declination with you and the underwriters to try to find a solution. Changing brokers won't help - they'll be stuck with the same answers from the same underwriters.

Some aviation insurance underwriters may loosening up later in the year if they aren't making their premium goals. If you can wait a month or two you might be able to go back out to the markets and try again.

Did you reach out to Aviation insurance resources https://air-pros.com/
I deal with Chris and he's pretty knowledgeable in such unusual request. But as GA continues to shrink, so do the insurance carriers.

I was planning on flying my C172 Experimental to Cozumel MX a couple of years back and they were able to find coverage.... I think as an add-on to my current policy. MX likely doesn't have the same insurance requirements as Greenland but worth a try.

I have ferried several aircraft internationally and will give you this advice....... Before you go, send a copy of actual policy to the CAA you are not only landing, but flying over, as if you do end up landing there for reasons yet unknown, not having the right insurance will become a big deal; and depending on the country, they can impound your plane and make you jump thru a lot of expensive hoops to get it back; so suggest you get something in writing from CAA stating that your docs are good; usually this type of insurance will list the nations it covers your overflight as well. Also, at same time, be sure you have whatever that CAA can give you to authorize EXP aircraft to enter their airspace. From my experience, some nation's procedures just depends on the guy working at customs that day, but many European destinations have more uniform checklist the guy references.... so ask the CAA if there is such a checklist.

Maybe reach out to the country's EAA chapter for help..... I have seen some good docs checklist.

I find the more paperwork you can hand the bureaucrat the better. I think I may try the Cozumel trip again after remembering this, now that covid seems over.

Did Katamarino have cover for his recently completed round the world trip? His 182 is N reg.

I used a European insurer who gave me reasonably priced coverage with no issues, hence my suggestion above.

Haywards - I think they are now known as Gallagher. I'm British though, with a UK address.

Haywards turned me down. I have been in contact with Plimsoll Specialty in Atlanta. They seem to have an excess liability option that may work.
I might also join the https://events.prepare2go.com/ for 2024. I think this would be the easiest, since a lot of the logistics are already done. They even said they can help with insurance.

https://events.prepare2go.com/ Appears to be run by Sam Rutherford. His son Mack, and daughter Zara, have both, separately, flown around the world.
I will be attending their forum at Oshkosh.

I have had quite a lot of interaction with Sam in the course of various trips.

Haywards turned me down. I have been in contact with Plimsoll Specialty in Atlanta. They seem to have an excess liability option that may work.
I might also join the https://events.prepare2go.com/ for 2024. I think this would be the easiest, since a lot of the logistics are already done. They even said they can help with insurance.
You may certainly have more luck with insurance as a first timer flying with a group. I’ve flown with Sam and I have a few transatlantics… I was planning to fly the Greenland Air Trophy as a CFI accompanying a pilot couple of years ago, but the trip was cancelled by Covid. However, the pilot was able to secure insurance by listing me and giving insurance all of the details of the group trip.

Back