Types of flying you want no part of

What won't you do? (or really don't like to)

• Fly single engine (recip), period

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Fly single engine at night

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • Fly single engine IFR

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Fly IFR without certain equipment (AP, WX, backup power/vac, deice etc)

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Fly single pilot IFR

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Any "recreational" GA flying

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Fly recip powered airplanes

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Fly single engine long (subjective) distances over water

Votes: 51 43.2%
  • Fly in homebuilt aircraft (or homebuilts not built/owned by you)

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Other

Votes: 39 33.1%

• Total voters

VA Aviator

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
VA Aviator
I'm not talking about the obvious stuff like not flying into thunderstorms. I'm talking about the things that many people do without hesitation, but you aren't so keen on yourself.

I've compiled a list of the top few that I've heard/read/seen over the years for the poll. For the purposes of the poll, in addition to "won't do" you can also substitute "things you really don't like to do but do anyway" or "types of flying that I'm not entirely comfortable with." You see where I'm coming from.

I chose "other" because I'd fly (and have flown all) any of your choices.

Last edited:
None of the above. Done em all multiple times.

I haven't done them all but there's none I wouldn't do, given the chance.

Yep. Pretty much done 'em all. And some of the others as well.

I think 121 is probably the #1 thing I would avoid if at all possible. That and CFIing.

For me, the decision matrix is significantly more complex. I've flown /A single engine pistons at night, IFR, over water (well maybe not all three at the same time). I find there are some airplanes I just won't fly in, but that is a function of the airplane itself and how it's maintained.

I selected "Other" because the one thing I won't do is ferry flights in a piston single after the plane has been sitting a long time (i.e. a ferry flight after years of sitting). I've done a number of these flights in twins and will do them again, but I won't do them in singles. My reason is because I structure these flights to have minimal risk in the event of an engine failure for a twin (mainly by keeping the weight to a minimum), and my brain is tuned to twin flying. My single engine flying is minimal, so I'm just a safer twin pilot.

Of that list, I'll say the 4th one.

Assuming you're meaning intentionally, I'd rather not fly IFR without a vacuum.

You didn't put jumping out of a perfectly good airplane as a choice.

Since air racing/ low-level aerobatics wasn't on the list, I marked other. I'd also add night, single-engine IFR over mountains (combined) to the list. I almost marked long distances over water, but my concern is more with long distances over COLD water, particularly with little boat traffic. I'm OK flying FL to Bahamas; I can manage that risk.

Yep. Pretty much done 'em all. And some of the others as well.

I think 121 is probably the #1 thing I would avoid if at all possible. That and CFIing.
I was also going to answer 121(as a job) until I looked at the choices. I did most of them for years. Only flew in a homebuilt once but had no qualms about doing it.

Flying with people that have just the barest level of currency, who don't know how to use a radio properly, or who have their head buried in their avionics, or have a rough/jerky style of flying.

I choose other as in I wouldn't/don't like to fly commercial as a passenger. Currently I would consider doing the rest; I have not experienced them all, which might change my opinion later on. I assumed on the IFR without certain equipment it still has the required equipment, would not want to go into that flight already missing something required versus just dealing with a failure along the way.

You forgot to include "Fly in a Cirrus" in the list.

Reactions: Ted
You didnt have Twins, I am not interested in flying a Twin.

Because of cost/operational reasons, or because of perceived risk?

Bear in mind, I didn't pull the poll choices out of thin air, they are things I have heard real pilots talk about (or I have read about) over the years. Of course, I've heard many more, many specific for a certain airport, a certain airplane model, a certain engine manufacturer etc but when you have 10 options...

Helicopters. The wings move faster than the body of the aircraft because they're not firmly attached and they are therefore inherently unsafe. Or did you not include them because helicopters don't really fly, they just beat the air into submission?

Also drones, but nobody really flies a drone. You operate one. If you don't have skin in the game, you're not flying.

Because of cost/operational reasons, or because of perceived risk?

Bear in mind, I didn't pull the poll choices out of thin air, they are things I have heard real pilots talk about (or I have read about) over the years. Of course, I've heard many more, many specific for a certain airport, a certain airplane model, a certain engine manufacturer etc but when you have 10 options...
Risk, but it isn't perceived. You have to be on top of your game in a twin when things go south and I don't have the time nor resources to become that good.

ETA, I am not scared of twins, I flew into ATL with my instructor in a Navajo and actually taxied out and took off myself (that was cool as hell), but I wouldnt climb in one with someone that I didnt believe was very proficient in THAT airframe.

I chose flying long distances over water in a single. I chose this because when I had the chance to do it, (flying to Marathon Key from central Florida) I chose to route down the overseas highway.

As I've skimmed the thread, there are many more things I wouldn't do currently but would if I was properly trained. (Aerobatics, for example.)

John

Single-engine piston at night is, without a doubt, my least favorite. I've done it in the past and will do it again in the future.

I try to avoid flying at night. No interest in IFR

I put "other". I've flown into sketchy backcountry strips, mountains, acro, etc.....but for some reason, I just refuse to go in a hot-air balloon. This isn't recent because of TX either (that didn't help things though). I know it's "safe" and tons of people do it all the time. And they're fun to watch and see. But you won't catch me in a basket hanging from a torch blowing flames into a giant bag, only to then for the most part be subject to whatever the wind decides to do. I'm out. Enjoy the view.

For me, flying single-engine at night in the mountains VFR or IFR. I pick my routes carefully out here during the day.

I love flying at night, especially a clear night. Love watching the lights on the ground - and easier to see other aircraft with beacons on. Usually smoother, too, than hot daytime.

ultralights. Uh uh. Nope. no way.
Acro - sure.
Air racing - i do have a set of Cassutt plans
SE IMC - done it, meh.

But ultralights - they look so damn flimsy and 2 strokes on a plane - nope. I love 2 stroke motorcycles. Dirt bikes should be 2T, but the effing EPA screwed that up. My street bike is a vintage RZ350 2T. Thats why I wont fly behind one. Id rather fly a near TBO Kinner than a 2T. I havent seized a Kinner, seized a few motorcycle 2T's though. Or fouled plugs in woods.

I love flying at night, especially a clear night. Love watching the lights on the ground - and easier to see other aircraft with beacons on. Usually smoother, too, than hot daytime.
I enjoy the heck out of it. DFW is beautiful at night.
My eyes just sometimes play tricks on me at night and that whole engine out thing makes night flying a rarity for me.

I enjoy the heck out of it. DFW is beautiful at night.
My eyes just sometimes play tricks on me at night and that whole engine out thing makes night flying a rarity for me.
You can always pull the handle.... ;)

You can always pull the handle.... ;)
Wasn't going to go into specifics as it turns into "Cirrus pilots do things they wouldn't otherwise do.. yatta yatta" but I won't fly non BRS plane at night.
In the 22, I try to avoid it but don't have the hard and fast rule. Just after PPL, I flew at night all the time. Then I read about a local Sierra that went down near my field at night.
Dad, mom and daughter in the plane. Dad and daughter survived. He really had no choices.

Nope...

Ultralight%20Helicopter.jpg

I picked

"Fly IFR without certain equipment (AP, WX, backup power/vac, deice etc)"

Except I would change it from fly IFR, to fly IMC, big difference.

Formation, have no desire to be that close to other aircraft if I don't have to.

Back