Type rating just for fun

Rotarywing

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rotarywing
So I am thinking I like to add a type rating. Mostly for fun but maybe also to be able to fly a few "charters" when I retire. I am not interested getting paid for flying. It will be my retirement gig.

So what rating would be the most "common"?

Hawker? Lear? Citation?

So I am thinking I like to add a type rating. Mostly for fun but maybe also to be able to fly a few "charters" when I retire. I am not interested getting paid for flying. It will be my retirement gig.

Hawker? Lear? Citation?

Probably Citation.

It does not matter to me. This will be a fun thing to do and something to do when I retire from having a "real" job.

I fully expect to fly without getting paid but I will enjoy doing it. I will retire in a few years and I don't need the money.

Of the 3 which has the highest profitability (lowest ratio of cost:profit)

I would go with the citation, better chance of getting some flight time.

That's the idea. Just looking to get some flight time. Maybe for 3-4 years just to have scratched that itch.

Then probable do the CFI thing a few days a week.

That's the idea. Just looking to get some flight time. Maybe for 3-4 years just to have scratched that itch.

Then probable do the CFI thing a few days a week.

It's a pretty easy choice really, just look at the current fleet sizes and pick which has the most represented under a TR. That is unless you have a good Idea of which operator you will be grabbing a seat with, then ask them.

There are a number of different "Citation" type ratings but probably the CE-500 (what people normally think of when you say "Citation") or 525 (CJ series) would be the best for a first type rating that you are paying for yourself.

Thanks gents. I will look into the Citation tr.

If one is anticipating trying to land an FO slot on one of these is the SIC CE500 type rating worth anything just to get in the door?

If you are just speaking from an economic perspective, I'm not sure that buying your own type rating is worth it as it doesn't give you that much of an advantage if you have no time in type, but the OP seemed like he or she just wanted to do it for the heck of it.

If one is anticipating trying to land an FO slot on one of these is the SIC CE500 type rating worth anything just to get in the door?

I wouldn't think so since one is not required in America. At this point that's a European rating IIRC, so unless you're looking at a charter operator that does flag work, I don't think it's really worth it.

The reality is if the person wants you in the right seat, they will put you there. In the US, as long as you hold the proper catagory and class and blah blah blah... you don't need anything further to operate as SIC under Pt 91, IOW, no Type required. So, if you want to get a type in anticipation and as something fun and interesting to do, you may as well get a PIC type.

I keep forgetting there are such things as SIC type ratings...

Of little I know a Lear or Citation are probably the most common since they are among the most popular private rides.

Yeah. No economic value for me. Fun thing to do and I plan to do some FO time when retired.

For "fun" only? Lear Jet!
Citation 500 is great, but no rocket ship.

Lear definitely has bragging rights, and as far as I know, all Lears are two pilot. There's quite a few single pilot Citations, although not all who can operate SP.

I dunno, I'd go for the B-29 type rating. That's bragging rights :)

I dunno, I'd go for the B-29 type rating. That's bragging rights :)

For the cost of a type rating you can also sponsor a CAF P-51 which comes with some time, and access to fly the plane in the future.

Here's the CAF pilot requirements...
6e38f67c4fe4b6a8d20256dc38e7b598.jpg

Lear definitely has bragging rights, and as far as I know, all Lears are two pilot. There's quite a few single pilot Citations, although not all who can operate SP.

You don't need to be "single pilot" to have fun, or to have a thrill.

How about a DC-3 type rating. Nothing more fun then operating two big radial engines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah. No economic value for me. Fun thing to do and I plan to do some FO time when retired.

Why would anyone hire you?

I mean you're competing against pilots who have worked their way up the food chain, vs some guy who retired from his "real job" and wants to fly their multi million dollar jet "just for fun"

If you want to get a type just for the challenge or fun of it, get a DC3, L39 or a WWII B-25 ( http://delawareaviationmuseum.org/damf/flight_training.html )

The LR-JET and Citation 500 type ratings lets you fly quite a few of those varients. The King Air 300/350 type would be another good one. Usually the training company will do the ATP checkride for free along with the type rating if you so desire. Usually about a 2 week long course depending on who you do it through and the aircraft. You will probably get matched up with a partner when you get there and you two will be a "crew" for the duration of the training. Or it you want one that I think would be "fun" with almost no practical use... http://www.valleairport.com/Ford_Type_Ratings.html

The old LR-JET type rating might be more 'fun', and also more challenging, but also more difficult to find a sample to fly. Ten or twenty years ago they were pretty popular but now many are headed for the export market having grown pretty long in the tooth. We had five, now down to one, which is an air ambulance.

I spend lots of time in the back of all these airplanes today hiring them for charter operations so I have some very good contacts as far as getting "hired". And again, I am not looking to get paid.

Another way to do it is just to buy a charter operation and fly as an owner. Bought and sold plenty of manufacturing business so far so that don't scare me.

DC3 would be fun as well but less useful for me.

CAF looks like a fun option.

I mean you're competing against pilots who have worked their way up the food chain, vs some guy who retired from his "real job" and wants to fly their multi million dollar jet "just for fun"

If you want to get a type just for the challenge or fun of it, get a DC3, L39 or a WWII B-25 ( http://delawareaviationmuseum.org/damf/flight_training.html )

The answer is simple, because he'll do it for free. Even billionaires jump at the word free.

I know a multimillionaire lawyer who retired from that and is flying for NetJets last I heard, he put in his time flying his own T-210 & 340.

Last edited:
I spend lots of time in the back of all these airplanes today hiring them for charter operations so I have some very good contacts as far as getting "hired". And again, I am not looking to get paid.

Another way to do it is just to buy a charter operation and fly as an owner. Bought and sold plenty of manufacturing business so far so that don't scare me.

DC3 would be fun as well but less useful for me.

CAF looks like a fun option.

CAF is a lot of fun. I joined a local squadron about 6 months ago and have really enjoyed the experience. I'm not a pilot for the squadron, they operate a B25 and I have no multi, but working in the plane is fun and going to air shows is a blast.

The answer is simple, because he'll do it for free. Even billionaires jump at the word free.

I know a multimillionaire lawyer who retired from that and is flying for NetJets last I heard, he put in his time flying his own T-210 & 340.

I assume NetJets is paying him, correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would get a type rating in the entry level jets like the new Cirrus Vision jet or the Phenom.

I sort of understand why there is animosity towards people working for free since it is probably perceived that they're taking jobs away from career pilots.

However, as far as paying for a type rating, that's something someone might reasonably do to further their own knowledge and/or simply because they enjoy the challenge.

I don't know many other industries that look down upon unpaid "interns" or people that pay for their own graduate degrees, etc.

Hawker? Lear? Citation?

Type rating just for fun? I consider it serious business. Once you get through the course you ought to be ready to carry passengers, often for hire and often total strangers. I doubt from what I've seen that you cut the mustard. Riding in the back doesn't count for experience. Oh, it's not that you can't be propped up long enough to pass the test, Thurmond Munson was. I just don't believe from what I've read you have enough experience to have a clue. If you did, you wouldn't be proposing it.

If you buy an air taxi company the pilots will grow to hate you in short order. I've seen it before: Successful businessman/pilot buys FBO/jet charter operation and totally ef's up everything. Forget it. If you do it, remember where you heard it first. ;)

dtuuri

The best way to go about progressing in the career (at any age) is to offer yourself as willing to toss bags, pull gear and handle the radio for a reasonable day rate. This is also called "squawk and talk" and "gear up, shut up". Airplane operators to target would be those flying single pilot aircraft: PC12, any King Air, Citations and CJ's, etc.
If you read his posts he isn't wanting to "progress in his career". It sounds like he already has a good one since he can ride in the back of business jets and is thinking of paying for a type rating. Don't know why there's this angst about it. Yeah I've heard all that stuff about not paying for your type rating, etc, etc. It's true that most working pilots have their type rating paid for by their employer, but then most can't afford one, or at least it doesn't make economic sense. But if that's what he wants to do then he should go for it. As far as his skills as an SIC if he finds someone to fly with, I don't think he will be any worse than a younger, poorer newbie.

What are we talking in terms of cost for a Citation type rating?

I sort of understand why there is animosity towards people working for free since it is probably perceived that they're taking jobs away from career pilots.

However, as far as paying for a type rating, that's something someone might reasonably do to further their own knowledge and/or simply because they enjoy the challenge.

I don't know many other industries that look down upon unpaid "interns" or people that pay for their own graduate degrees, etc.

If you read his posts he isn't wanting to "progress in his career". It sounds like he already has a good one since he can ride in the back of business jets and is thinking of paying for a type rating. Don't know why there's this angst about it. Yeah I've heard all that stuff about not paying for your type rating, etc, etc. It's true that most working pilots have their type rating paid for by their employer, but then most can't afford one, or at least it doesn't make economic sense. But if that's what he wants to do then he should go for it. As far as his skills as an SIC if he finds someone to fly with, I don't think he will be any worse than a younger, poorer newbie.

Do ether of you two work in the industry as a professional 135/121/91K pilot?

Interesting comments but completely useless. I am not looking for a Carrier. I have one that pays millions per year. I am looking forward to a $0 paying Job when I decide to do what's fun for me.

I intend no disrespect, but from your comments I sense you have not spent time as a working professional pilot. Your intentions may be honorable, but in the working pilot world you will create a bad reputation for yourself by buying a type rating a working for free.

I applaud your desire to fly during retirement but please stop saying you'll do it for no pay. Honestly, among good operators, if you say that during an interview your resume will be sent to the bottom of the trash can. Good flight departments do not want seat fillers who are willing to fly for free.

OTOH, there are plenty of cheapskate Pt 91 operators who will happily not pay you, but I personally would not want to share a cockpit with them. In my own career, I've come across a number of folks who have said they'd fly for free and they have garnered bad reputations and quickly disappear. Please don't do it.

On a side note, you should never, ever, ever pay for your first type rating. Unless you are flying your own, personal aircraft, an employer should pay for training. A type rating is required for acting as PIC. No one in their right mind would hire you as PIC with a fresh type-rating and no time in type. You can be SIC on any aircraft the PIC is willing to have you, even single-pilot aircraft.

The best way to go about progressing in the career (at any age) is to offer yourself as willing to toss bags, pull gear and handle the radio for a reasonable day rate. This is also called "squawk and talk" and "gear up, shut up". Airplane operators to target would be those flying single pilot aircraft: PC12, any King Air, Citations and CJ's, etc.

Back