Type of Cert and Class of medical

Ravioli

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
I did a quick search and didn't find anything... so...

If I get a commercial certificate (for insurance, something to train, on, etc) and am NOT exercising the money making portion of that, will a Third Class medical be sufficient until such time as I decide to try to monetize the training by doing some sort of for hire flying?

I know if I get the Second Class it reverts to Third if not renewed, but I'm curious if Second is required for the check rides or only for exercising the money side.

And before it's asked: I would probably need to get glasses to correct my vision for the Second Class, which isn't a big deal.

You have it correct. You can hold both a CPL and a 3rd class medical and not do any money flying.

But when you want to make money with the CPL, you need the 2nd class medical.

You have it correct. You can hold both a CPL and a 3rd class medical and not do any money flying.

But when you want to make money with the CPL, you need the 2nd class medical.

:yeahthat:

You could have an ATP and fly private privileges on a Third Class. Heck, you could fly Light Sport with no medical at all!

I had a 2nd class when I took my ATP ride, heck you could have a 3rd class with a CPL or ATP, actually you could have a CPL/ATP and no medical and fly LSA, you just can't exercise all the privileges of your CPL/ATP without a 1st or 2nd class.

Thanks. I'm all about training and proficiency... willing to do the time (but probably wouldn't do ATP... I'm 50)

I can see myself getting up to CFII and doing instruction for a fun retirement job. Better than being a WalMart greeter

I did a quick search and didn't find anything... so...

If I get a commercial certificate (for insurance, something to train, on, etc) and am NOT exercising the money making portion of that, will a Third Class medical be sufficient until such time as I decide to try to monetize the training by doing some sort of for hire flying?

I know if I get the Second Class it reverts to Third if not renewed, but I'm curious if Second is required for the check rides or only for exercising the money side.

And before it's asked: I would probably need to get glasses to correct my vision for the Second Class, which isn't a big deal.

You're correct, you only need the medical certificate appropriate for the pilot privileges you are exercising. That said, if you need glasses, get glasses.

Thanks. I'm all about training and proficiency... willing to do the time (but probably wouldn't do ATP... I'm 50)

I can see myself getting up to CFII and doing instruction for a fun retirement job. Better than being a WalMart greeter

Never say never! I got my ATP and CL-65 type rating a week before my 58th birthday! :wink2:

You may get a Third Class medical. You just wouldn't be able to exercise the privileges of a Commercial pilot.

I got my ATP later in life,did some time doing charter,continue to hold a class 2 just in case.

You could hold an ATP with multiple type ratings and fly without a medical if you fly decide to fly LSA.

Years ago you needed to have the medical to match your certificate when you took the flight test. They did away with that. You can take your ATP with just a third.

Years ago you needed to have the medical to match your certificate when you took the flight test. They did away with that. You can take your ATP with just a third.

I'm 61, hold a 3rd Class, and will be taking my ATP ride in about 1 1/2 weeks. I just won't be able to exercise the privileges of the ATP certificate. I'm "old" but young at heart. :yes:

Back