Type Certificated Icon A5

MarkH

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MarkH
The Icon A5 is getting a type cert: https://www.iconaircraft.com/a5-certified-edition/

The funny thing is, that means many of the early purchaser will not be able to fly the type certificated version because the type certificated plane will be overweight for sport pilots (at the same gross weight as the LSA).

The link says the specs are the same. Why would it be “overweight” for USA Sport Pilots?

There are many certificated aircraft that meet light sport weights. Why couldn’t other Sport Pilots or Higher rated pilots using Sport Pilot privileges fly the Certificated A5?

Cheers

The LSA Icon received an exception that allowed it to go over LSA max gross weight to 1510lbs.

Unless the FAA extends that exception, a certified A5 will not be sport pilot eligible. The wording on the A5 website suggest a PPL w/seaplane rating will be required for the certified version.

Looks like it's intended to allow them to sell internationally. Don't think there's any benefit for a US pilot to get the certified version?

Looks like it's intended to allow them to sell internationally. Don't think there's any benefit for a US pilot to get the certified version?
Flight instruction, considering the current "instruction is carriage of passengers" / LODA mess...

If I live in the US, why would I want the Certified Edition over the S-LSA?
The main benefit would be for international travel, for example flying your ICON A5 to islands in the Caribbean, or to fly your A5 if you keep your plane on a yacht when you are in another country. LSA’s don’t have a Type Certificate, and so typically a special permission is required before you can fly in another country, just like if you are flying an Experimental aircraft (there are exceptions, notably the Bahamas, which does allow U.S. LSA’s).

I wonder how many of Icon's clientele keeps their plane on their yacht?

Back