Two more Apollo astronauts fly west

Heard about Borman but not Mattingly. Sad, all the greats are passing on. Excellent documentary on Apollo 8 with Borman is First to The Moon.

I remember watching coverage of Apollo 8 on TV, and their Christmas eve reading of Genesis. RIP.

Two true American hero’s…

Looks like Borman passed on 11/7. I didn’t see mention of it in the article linked above, but I had read (probably in an epilogue to the book about Apollo 8, which was a great read) that he not only kept flying but flew bird dogs for firefighting operations. None of the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo astronauts were anything short of great Americans. It feels like a great American story of triumph when they live out such complete lives in humility.

Looks like Borman passed on 11/7. I didn’t see mention of it in the article linked above, but I had read (probably in an epilogue to the book about Apollo 8, which was a great read) that he not only kept flying but flew bird dogs for firefighting operations. None of the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo astronauts were anything short of great Americans. It feels like a great American story of triumph when they live out such complete lives in humility.
Yep. Frank Borman flew his t34 up until about 3 years ago. He sold it , bought a C177n flew it for a year or so then retired from flying.
He was a great man that I'm glad I got to call him my friend.

Some of the innuendo that Borman and Lovell tossed about after almost fourteen days in the confines of Gemini 7 were pretty funny. He was a heckuva man. Blues skies, sir

65-H-2323.jpg

Back