Two engines are better then one...

Missa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AsGoodAsCake
And now Ted can fly his own plane.

Congrats to Ted on passing yet another checkride.
(When is the CFI ride?)

What a good reason to play hooky from work. :D

Missa

Edit: I'm sure Ted will get on and give the full low-down once he flys home and puts the plane away...

Oh and when is my ride?

Last edited:
Congratulations on a passed checkride, even if I am less than certain which one it was.

Congratulations Ted! Will you be bringing it down to Gastons? (For that matter, will the insurance company let you fly it solo yet?)

Congrats, Ted! So is this "Commercial AMEL" or are you "Commercial ASEL, Private AMEL" now?

Awesome Ted. Way to go!

Thanks, everyone! It's certainly nice to finally be able to fly my own plane! :yes:

So, the checkride report:

The insurance requirements were 25 hours of dual with 10 hours actual or simulated instrument time and 20 landings to a full stop. Well, my 8710 reported 32.4 hours, and I more than met all the other requirements. I wasn't in a rush to get the rating since I needed to pass minimums for insurance before I could fly it solo anyway.

The checkride was 4 hours total, with a fairly lengthy oral that consisted mostly of a discussion of multi engine operations, my knowledge of the aircraft, and also touching on some aspects of aircraft ownership and commercial operations. I had never met this DE before, so he wanted to go over those things some with me, even though I already had done my commercial ride in single. He did go over some things that the other DE didn't, so I appreciated the extra learning. This DE used to own about 20 Aztecs for his business, and still owns a very nice Turbo E model as his personal plane, so he was also an excellent source of information on the plane in general.

The ride was mostly like my instrument check ride, just doing it in the twin, with some engine failures. We also did the other standard twin operations - drag demo, shut down and restart an engine, etc., plus stalls, steep turns, etc.

As with all check rides, I knew all the stupid mistakes I made and was convinced I'd failed...

And then he wrote up a new temporary airman's certificate, and I had to surrender my previous one. :)

The plane needs some maintenance, but I'd told my instructor I wanted to get my check ride and one good solo flight in the thing done before putting it in. So after passing my check ride, I flew to CT to see some friends. The friends knew I was flying in, but I hadn't said what I was flying, so the expectation was the Mooney. It was a most pleasant surprise to them to see the Aztec. I got asked "You passed your check ride?!" "Yeah, about an hour ago." We flew north about half an hour to a very nice little airport restaurant, had dinner, then I dropped them off and headed back home. The trip back from dinner and back to Williamsport was a beautiful night flight, not unlike the first flight I had in a multi engine aircraft (which happened to be that very same plane) some year and a half ago back when I had 11 hours total time. Last night I looked out the window at the stars with the engines on either side purring away, thinking how the day - the check ride and my first flights in the plane myself - were what I'd been waiting for since I started flying.

It was an easy flight, with a somewhat interesting approach (about a 12 kt gust favoring the runway that is always the most interesting in gusty conditions) that ended up being very smooth tochdown. I shut down the engines, tidied up the plane, went home, and promptly went to sleep, most satisfied. :)

Now, the plane goes into maintenance, which will take care of some items that ought to be done on it, but the end result will be very nice when it's finished.

So, to answer the questions above:

1) Yes, I'm past the insurance requirements, so I can (and have) flown the plane solo. I've even had my first passengers.

2) Yes, the plane will be going to Gaston's (and 6Y9). See the ride share thread.

3) My temporary cert says "Commercial Pilot - Airplane Single & Multi Engine Land - Instrument Airplane." You can go straight to your commercial multi if you otherwise meet the requirements, which I did.

4) CFI is the next rating. That will probably be another few months, mainly depending on what else goes on. It's a busy time at work, and I need to get some significant maintenance done on the Aztec, which is a priority so I can get the thing back in the sky, where it belongs. :)

At least now I can get some time with the instructor and get my BFR done

Did you end up surrendering you previous temp, or did the FAA get you the plastic one?

At least now I can get some time with the instructor and get my BFR done

Give him a call and get it done! But he also needs to get the Aztec maintenance done. It's supposed to start today with the landing gear.

Did you end up surrendering you previous temp, or did the FAA get you the plastic one?

Sadly, I had to surrender my previous temp. The FAA hasn't even acknowledged on the web yet that I'm a commercial pilot for single. This is the slowest I've had yet... it's been a month since the CP-ASEL-IA check ride.

Oh, and I also added two more states to my map yesterday - CT and MA. Even though I've flown over both on multiple occasions, I hadn't landed. KBAF has $3.29/gallon AvGas. The line guy came up and asked if I needed fuel. I asked how much, was told and responded "Why yes, yes I do need fuel."

Congrats Ted! Now you have all the ratings I do. :yes:

Sadly, I had to surrender my previous temp. The FAA hasn't even acknowledged on the web yet that I'm a commercial pilot for single. This is the slowest I've had yet... it's been a month since the CP-ASEL-IA check ride.

I took my Comm-ASEL and Comm-AMEL rides about 6 weeks apart, and got only one new certificate in the mail. Not sure if that was due to the paper 8710 on the ASEL ride and the electronic deal on the AMEL ride or not - You might get the same thing.

Congrats Ted! Now you have all the ratings I do. :yes:

Not for long... ;)

I took my Comm-ASEL and Comm-AMEL rides about 6 weeks apart, and got only one new certificate in the mail. Not sure if that was due to the paper 8710 on the ASEL ride and the electronic deal on the AMEL ride or not - You might get the same thing.

I was thinking about how that worked for you, and wondering if it would be similar for me, since we both did our rides so close together. In this case, the rides were a month apart (2/28 for CP-ASEL and 3/31 for CP-AMEL), so we'll see. Either way, I don't suspect to be getting a new plastic card for a while. Wonder if I'll get the permanent registration for my plane first.

Now, you have Apache time, but not Aztec time, so I doubt the insurance company would let you fly my plane out of the box. But at Gaston's or 6Y9 we'll have to take it up so you can see the difference from the extra engine performance. Short field takeoffs are fun! :)

Ted, Congratulations! The states of the southeast are absent on your map. You should do something about that. Come on down to Georgia.

Ted, Congratulations! The states of the southeast are absent on your map. You should do something about that. Come on down to Georgia.

he needs to fill in Kansas also...

Wait long enough and I'm sure a rescue flight will take me to both of those places. :)

Oh, and I also added two more states to my map yesterday - CT and MA. Even though I've flown over both on multiple occasions, I hadn't landed. KBAF has $3.29/gallon AvGas. The line guy came up and asked if I needed fuel. I asked how much, was told and responded "Why yes, yes I do need fuel."

Actually Five Star right next door has 100LL for $3.09/gallon. ;)

Congrats again Ted!

Not for long... ;)

Hmmm. Does that mean you think I'm going to finish my CFI before you do? ;)

Now, you have Apache time, but not Aztec time, so I doubt the insurance company would let you fly my plane out of the box. But at Gaston's or 6Y9 we'll have to take it up so you can see the difference from the extra engine performance. Short field takeoffs are fun! :)

I have PA23 time. ;)

I'd love to fly the Aztec though, and see how it's different. I didn't get the complete Apache experience, though - The one I flew had generators and vacuum pumps on both engines, and a backup electric hydraulic pump. The real Apache experience means that if the right engine fails you lose your gyros and if the left engine fails you lose electrical power (except for the battery), gear, and flaps. Fun! :eek: :D

With all the backups though, the one I flew had four systems to use for getting the gear down: The hydraulic pump on the left engine, the backup electrical hydraulic pump, the hand hydraulic pump, and the CO2 blow-down system!

Hmmm. Does that mean you think I'm going to finish my CFI before you do? ;)

We'll have to see who finishes it first. ;)

I have PA23 time. ;)

Yeah, the insurance still won't want you flying my plane. ;)

I'd love to fly the Aztec though, and see how it's different. I didn't get the complete Apache experience, though - The one I flew had generators and vacuum pumps on both engines, and a backup electric hydraulic pump. The real Apache experience means that if the right engine fails you lose your gyros and if the left engine fails you lose electrical power (except for the battery), gear, and flaps. Fun! :eek: :D

With all the backups though, the one I flew had four systems to use for getting the gear down: The hydraulic pump on the left engine, the backup electrical hydraulic pump, the hand hydraulic pump, and the CO2 blow-down system!

I've got alternators and vacuum pumps on both engines, which is good. I've still got three methods to get the gear down, but one of them is slow and the other is one-time use only. ;)

Yeah, the insurance still won't want you flying my plane. ;)

The insurance, or the plane's owner? ;)

I've got alternators and vacuum pumps on both engines, which is good. I've still got three methods to get the gear down, but one of them is slow and the other is one-time use only. ;)

Well, one-time use until an A&P works their magic on it. :yes: Still a very nice thing to have if you're in a situation where you just need to get down NOW. (Shooting an ILS to minimums with smoke in the cockpit, maybe? :hairraise:)

Back