Two different printers of sectionals?

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
Sporty's and Pilotshop both sell sectionals but they look different (different covers). Is there any difference? Are these simply printed by two different printers?

Attachments

• sps_sec_group-web.png
    sps_sec_group-web.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • Pilotshop.jpg
    Pilotshop.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 38
Sporty's and Pilotshop both sell sectionals but they look different (different covers). Is there any difference? Are these simply printed by two different printers?

Pilotshop is using an old image.

Worse yet, there are two different bakers of Girl Scout cookies!!, :eek:

There's more then two, also you have Duracharts, those are the ones I recommend, little tuffer materials and better coloring.

duracharts2013.jpg

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/durachart.php

DuraCharts the newest name in Aviation Sectionals. DuraCharts are durable, tear resistant, sectionals for the discerning pilot who demands the very best at a reasonable cost. The printing is as sharp and clear as any you have ever seen. No more tearing from constant folding and refolding. Sectional Aeronautical Charts are designed for visual navigation of slow to medium speed aircraft. The topographic information featured consists of the relief and a judicious selection of visual checkpoints used for flight under visual flight rules. The checkpoints include populated places, drainage patterns, roads, railroads, and other distinctive landmarks. The aeronautical information on Sectional Charts includes visual and radio aids to navigation, airports, controlled airspace, restricted areas, obstructions, and related data.

Darn it. How come I always see posts like this 10 minutes too late. I just bought all my charts for the trip to Oshkosh.

Keith

I love Duracharts! They're more durable and the image quality I find greater than the FAA printed charts, and with the CFI discount, they're half the cost of what I would pay at an FBO for the FAA printed ones.

Isn't it easier to download free charts from the FAA and view them on your tablet or phone? I find it less awkward to pan and zoom than to fold and unfold paper charts while flying. And if you do prefer paper, you can always print a series of one-page excerpts for each flight.

Isn't it easier to download free charts from the FAA and view them on your tablet or phone? I find it less awkward to pan and zoom than to fold and unfold paper charts while flying. And if you do prefer paper, you can always print a series of one-page excerpts for each flight.
I'm the opposite - I find it easier to unfold a chart and get a "big picture" than to scan and zoom on a tablet.

It's not the same thing, also if you're unfolding your chart in flight you already failed, it should be open and folded to your position.

While you're right about the ease of use, I always have a sectional of my local area with me. I don't really bring the tablet with me unless I'm going on a cross-country.

It's not the same thing[. A]lso if you're unfolding your chart in flight you already failed[. I]t should be open and folded to your position.

Sometimes your position changes while you're flying. Then you may have to refold the chart.

Back