Two critical after take-off crash - KDVT Deer Valley

An American AA-1B apparently. Registered owner lives in Peoria, AZ.

Holy hell...that's my hangar neighbor...20 year F16 pilot and SWA captain. He has an RV8 but bought that airplane for his two sons to build time in!!!!! I can't believe this! Holy ****

Last edited:
That sucks. Hope they recover to fly again.

Trying to find out who was in it..one of his sons is a student pilot in high school the other is a ~700 hr CFI (younger than me). Crazy...I just walked by this plane a few days ago.

Sometimes I just want to keep feet on the ground and not fly.

Reporter said airplanes are design to fall apart on the news tonight.
Is that true?

Is that true?

I feel ya...it's especially hard when you know the people involved. It's like wow what are the odds? Maybe higher than I'd like

Is that true?

I'll check my airplane after the news tonight and report if it has fallen apart...

I hope the occupants make a full recovery.

Is that true?
No, airplanes aren't generally designed to fall apart. They may incorporate some failsafe design where something is designed to fail before there is a catastrophic failure. Engine mounts may be designed to sheer due to heavy vibration. Control quadrants frequently have sheer rivets. Boeing aircraft have chem milled upper fuselage skin panels designed to fail as seen in several instances of depressurization. Older Boeings had bonded titanium anti tear straps that were supposed to prevent an Aloha Airlines type failure.

Last edited:
I hope they are ok. Looks bad, I can hardly identify what the parts of the airplane are.

Not sure where my brain was initially, my thought was "well, if they crashed, I'd hope they were critical of the flight", but sadly that is not at all what this meant.

I hope they are ok. Looks bad, I can hardly identify what the parts of the airplane are.

Not sure where my brain was initially, my thought was "well, if they crashed, I'd hope they were critical of the flight", but sadly that is not at all what this meant.

I can't confirm for sure but I've been doing some serious digging on the news, social media, etc. It sounds like they will be okay from one of the sources I saw on social media (a friend who called the family). Can't confirm yet though. Preliminary report. Still not sure if Bob was in the plane, or his two sons, etc

Last edited:
Holy hell...that's my hangar neighbor...20 year F16 pilot and SWA captain. He has an RV8 but bought that airplane for his two sons to build time in!!!!! I can't believe this! Holy ****

I hate it when you know someone and see their airplane wrecked... it's just the worst.

Here's hoping whoever was on board makes a full recovery. Sorry to hear it was your hangar neighbor.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Tough deal CC268 knowing them too.

I used to instruct out of DVT and heard this airplane there all the time. 16L. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

I hate it when you know someone and see their airplane wrecked... it's just the worst.

Here's hoping whoever was on board makes a full recovery. Sorry to hear it was your hangar neighbor.

Yea it's really...spooky...for lack of a better word. I still haven't figured out who was in the plane. I'm not sure if they rented it out to others or if his son did flight instruction in it or what.

Must have gone through the perimeter fence at the west end of the airport. In the view from the news helicopter, you could see one of these sections of metal fence in the middle the street near the wreckage.

attachment.png

Must have gone through the perimeter fence at the west end of the airport. In the view from the news helicopter, you could see one of these sections of metal fence in the middle the street near the wreckage.

View attachment 55341

Yep that's exactly what happened...and into one of those trees.

Update on the crash in case anyone cares:

As stated earlier my hangar neighbor is the owner of this airplane. He owns an RV8 for himeself, but bought this airplane for his two sons to build time in. Luckily neither of his sons were involved in the crash. However, a young man, Brody and his friend Chandler were involved. I have met Brody at Bob's hangar - very nice kid - just graduated high school and got his PPL in November. Brody did his PPL in this airplane under one of Bob's sons (who is a CFI). His dream is to fly for Southwest.

This airplane has been flown A LOT.

Current status update on Brody from gofundme:
"When he was brought into the hospital, he had some swelling in his brain. A broken femur and ankle and a fracture to his L3 vertebra. The surgeons removed a piece of his skull to ease pressure in his brain. They were able to replace the piece of skull and the surgeon was cautiously optimistic about his brain condition. The doctors were able to stabilize his leg with external hardware. He had a MRI today and will most likely have surgery today to place screws in his spine to stabilize it."

Current status update on Chandler from gofundme:
"Currently in the ICU and has already had multiple surgeries and CT scans for broken bones and head trauma. He will have to have many additional surgeries and a lengthy period of rehabilitation before he will be able to walk and function normally."

Keep these young aviators in your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks.

Damn....thanks for the update CC268.

Thanks for the update, and prayers for these young guys. :frown:

Sounds like a very long and painful recovery and rehabilitation awaits both of them. Sad. But as the somewhat trite cliche says, at least they are alive. They have a chance.

I hope they make a full recovery and will fly again some day...they may never want to touch a plane again after this.

Back