Two autopilots, 1 airplane?

MooneyDriver78

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
This listing from controller, this can’t be correct can it?

1bac72419b9eb7fd2f48d0c947c0f217.jpg

This is not an unusual combo. For example, many Pipers came from the factory with a single-axis autopilot (had a "Piper" label but was really a Century II or IIB). Later, the owner decides they want altitude control too, so they add the STEC pitch controller.

This is not an unusual combo. For example, many Pipers came from the factory with a single-axis autopilot (had a "Piper" label but was really a Century II or IIB). Later, the owner decides they want altitude control too, so they add the STEC pitch controller.
One of the Dakotas in my former club was set up this way.

No way would I want 2 APs, I’m glad they don’t do that anymore.

No way would I want 2 APs, I’m glad they don’t do that anymore.
I get what your sayin, but since I have a Century IIb, I’d be happy to deal with a separate autopilot for vertical. It would probably require close to same button presses +1, and if you wanted to totally disconnect autopilot function, that would probably need an extra press. On the other hand, if the autopilot goes into failure mode, you still have the other to help its functionality. It would be nice if your expense to fix would be halved, but that would likely not be correct.

Last edited:
This is a stretch to be related to the thread, but the thread made me think of it. It kinda baffles me why none of the modern A/P's support altitude hold without heading axis control. All the ones I've used require heading control before you can do any sort of altitude control. Sometimes I want to let the A/P control my climb or keep me level, but I want to be able to tool around left and right to sight see, or avoid a buildup, but none of them offer that ability.

This is a stretch to be related to the thread, but the thread made me think of it. It kinda baffles me why none of the modern A/P's support altitude hold without heading axis control. All the ones I've used require heading control before you can do any sort of altitude control. Sometimes I want to let the A/P control my climb or keep me level, but I want to be able to tool around left and right to sight see, or avoid a buildup, but none of them offer that ability.
I think the concern would be how the alt hold alone would react to overbanking and perhaps induce a spin. The workaround for what you're describing is heading mode. Just spin the heading knob to avoid a build up or sightsee.

I think the concern would be how the alt hold alone would react to overbanking and perhaps induce a spin. The workaround for what you're describing is heading mode. Just spin the heading knob to avoid a build up or sightsee.
Yeah, I'm aware. I still want it. ;)

I get what your sayin, but since I have a Century IIb, I’d be happy to deal with a separate autopilot for vertical. It would probably require close to same button presses +1, and if you wanted to totally disconnect autopilot function, that would probably need an extra press. On the other hand, if the autopilot goes into failure mode, you still have the other to help its functionality. It would be nice if your expense to fix would be halved, but that would likely not be correct.
There is no such thing as “totally disconnect” in relations to installed autopilot. There are servos hidden under the floor boards. Hence the imposition of controls resistance. The only autopilot I can think of that “totally disconnect” Is the portable PortaPilot. But it is only available for Cessnas.

I have a Trio autopilot which does EXACTLY what you want; you can turn on either servo air both. Never thought that would be a useful feature, but it is!

I have a Trio autopilot which does EXACTLY what you want; you can turn on either servo air both. Never thought that would be a useful feature, but it is!
Also true about the PortaPilot. Where the pitch and roll axes are independent. But then, I think most of us consider the roll axis a primary entity. I don’t know of any single axis autopilot being Altitude hold. It is my humble opinion that 90% of the value in a two axes autopilot is the roll axis.

Back