Twin Otter

cwyckham

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
cwyckham
I thought some of you might be interested to know that the de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter is being resurrected by Viking Air in Sidney, BC. We've sold something like 60 of them at about 3.5 million each. Anybody wanna buy an airplane?

Some of you will remember that I left New Zealand about 5 months ago to head back to North America. I had some good work leads at both Diamond and Cirrus in their single engine jet programs, but decided to take work at Viking instead because I think bush planes are cool and because I love living on Vancouver Island. I'm the project engineer for the Twin Otter production program. It's great to be involved in a project that I'm really excited about.

In other news, I finally got flying again for the first time since moving. It's going to take me at least a month to get the paperwork done to get my Canadian license, but I took a dual flight in a great little DA-20 A1 Katana. It was the first time I've spun a Katana. It's a hoot to spin. I could do it all day long.

Chris

Some of you will remember that I left New Zealand about 5 months ago to head back to North America.

In other news, I finally got flying again for the first time since moving. It's going to take me at least a month to get the paperwork done to get my Canadian license, but I took a dual flight in a great little DA-20 A1 Katana. It was the first time I've spun a Katana. It's a hoot to spin. I could do it all day long.
Welcome back Chris! :)

awesome chris, thrilled to see you back here. got any openings in oh say about early 2009? :)

off to get that seaplane rating...

I thought some of you might be interested to know that the de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter is being resurrected by Viking Air in Sidney, BC. We've sold something like 60 of them at about 3.5 million each. Anybody wanna buy an airplane?

I have 400 hours in one. You need ferry pilots?

greg will most definitely need a copilot :yes:

Chris:

I have followed with interest the plans for restarting TwOtter production, and am happy to see it; it is such a fine answer to so many questions. Plus, for me, the Twin Otter always means, "exotic location," as I have only flown in them in, ummm... exotic locations. Belize, French Polynesia...

I say, we plan a PoA fly-in Vancouver Island, sometime around roll-out time... I'll bring Dublin Dr. Pepper and some good brisket...

Chris:

I have followed with interest the plans for restarting TwOtter production, and am happy to see it; it is such a fine answer to so many questions. Plus, for me, the Twin Otter always means, "exotic location," as I have only flown in them in, ummm... exotic locations. Belize, French Polynesia...

I say, we plan a PoA fly-in Vancouver Island, sometime around roll-out time... I'll bring Dublin Dr. Pepper and some good brisket...

and Ill ride with Spike! :)

and Ill ride with Spike! :)

...a Plan is Born!

After all, we all know that "America" most definitely includes Canada, Mexico and all of Central and South America, as well.

Our first cross-border fly-in event. I like it, a lot!

PoA (Canada) slogan: "Take off, Eh?"

...a Plan is Born!

After all, we all know that "America" most definitely includes Canada, Mexico and all of Central and South America, as well.

lol i was thinking along the same lines spike.

I'll find someone to ride with... even if I have to drive to Dallas and beg Spike to take me with him! :)

...a Plan is Born!

LOL, I love it!

I actually don't know if we'll be doing the big roll-out ceremony here or in Calgary. We'll make all the bits and sub-assemblies in Victoria and then final assembly will be in Calgary. Either place is certainly a beautiful place to fly, though I'm partial to flying over all the islands out here.

Chris:

It's been really cool to hear where all our customers are. And as we contemplate which changes we'll be making (such as avionics), we have to remember that many of our customers will be operating in Africa, Antarctica, and small Pacific Islands. It's a really neat aspect of the project.

Chris

Back