Tuxedo Shopping

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Looking for recommendations. I want to let my fingers do the walking (online).

Thus far, everything I've found is either unappealing, more than I want to spend, not available in my size, or made of some cheap man-made fiber.

I figure that for the cost of a rental, I could purchase. I own all the accessories and usually, when needed I've just worn a black suit and accessories that I own and no one knows the difference (or doesn't dare mention it).

Why is a simple black tuxedo so hard to find?

Then why not just get a really nice black suit and call it a day? Tuxedos are pretty worthless outside of weddings, and if you have to wear one to a wedding it has to be matching and you're back to renting anyway.

I suppose on those rare occasions when you need to receive your Oscar in public it's good to own one. Short of that I can't imagine wasting the closet space.

Build it and they will come.

Buy the tux and a reason to wear it will surface.

I am going to an event in 2 weeks where I will need it and I'd rather buy than rent. But if that's the only way to get a nice one, then I will rent. Those rentals eventually become sales, but where???

have you tried a rental place? I've purchased several very nice, nearly new tux's for about $150

have you tried a rental place? I've purchased several very nice, nearly new tux's for about $150

Much of what I saw there was overpriced for purchase. Rental was about what I expect to spend on a purchase. I could go store-store, but that takes time that I don't have. And I always need alterations...more time that I don't have.

I need to find a website that I can search down to finding THE ONE and whip out my credit card and have it shipped to my house then off to the tailor's.

Certainly this exists, right?

I don't know why it is hard to find in your area. I just went to the formal wear place that rents them and was able to purchase a new, wool tuxedo with little fuss.

I do at a minimum of four black tie events a year, so it ends up being cost effective for me. Black tie does not equate to black business suits. Even tuxedos are "informal" in the grand scheme of things.

I used to buy used ones cheap from the rental places, when I was a waiter and needed to wear them. Why do you want to dress up like the staff?:lol:

I bought mine from Goodwill. They just got:a bunch:froma:rental:place. My son still wears it when needed. I paid 20 bucks so that works out to about a buck for each use.

Tuxedos are pretty worthless outside of weddings,

Wait - what? I thought every guy wore a tuxedo while flying or parachuting? I think I've been misled. This could save me some money on dry cleaning.

eb8d34d697c2782286977cf04edd555b.jpg
519a0b741326e.preview-620.jpg

I nearly like the one on the left. I am picky on lapels.

I've owned my tux since 2005. But I need it for several nights twice a year. Olympia Choral Society. It paid for itself years ago. Now, about those shirts that keep discoloring (probably due to stuff growing in the starch...)...

Oh, and I bought it at Men's Wearhouse. Probably didn't pay more than $250 for it, either.

I've owned my tux since 2005. But I need it for several nights twice a year. Olympia Choral Society. It paid for itself years ago. Now, about those shirts that keep discoloring (probably due to stuff growing in the starch...)...

Oh, and I bought it at Men's Wearhouse. Probably didn't pay more than $250 for it, either.

This.

Plain black tuxes are de rigueur for musicians.

Musicians are cheap, but they don't like to sweat in polyester. The OP is just looking in the wrong place.

This.

Plain black tuxes are de rigueur for musicians.

Musicians are cheap, but they don't like to sweat in polyester. The OP is just looking in the wrong place.

I was going in the same direction...contact the local musicians union and ask them for suggestions. When I was playing in two concert bands, and stage pit, I needed a tux 8-10 times a year.

I bought mine at the local thrift store, cost me almost nothing. :)

Josbank.com works for me. Get a custom made black suit for around $250-500, depending on what one you want. Sometimes you can get 2 for the price of 1. They also make some very nice silk golf shirts....

Thanks all- I just made the decision and bought one yesterday. It wasn't THE ONE but I think will still look nice on me nonetheless.

I got mine at a rental shop. Also purchased tux pants and had them tailored to Burmuda tux shorts.Was the hit at a summer wedding.

I am glad I purchased. My event was yesterday and I really enjoyed not having to think about returning anything. It was oddly gratifying to remove and store everything for next use.

Men's Warehouse typically has a nice selection of good quality at a reasonable price. If it's a quality piece and you foresee future uses, it's not a bad investment unless you are in the middle of a major weight change. If you find something really nice for some extra $$$, it's usually worth a splurge since it's a 'durable good'. I needed a new sport coat and was walking down the street in Amsterdam and saw one in a tailor's window I really liked. It was €350 but what the hell, it was the nicest I had seen in a long time, made of a Yorkshire tweed in colors that look good on me, a weight that made it comfortable in all seasons, and fit me nearly perfectly off the rack, so I bought it. Considering I buy one every 5 years or so I don't regret the purchase one bit, and will wear it to an interview tomorrow.

Back