Turning left all night

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I’ve been hearing a plane circling the nearby football stadium during tonight’s Iowa-Michigan State football game, so I checked FlightAware. It’s a HT-295. Here’s the track at halftime:
IMG_7527.jpeg

Many years ago, I was hired to fly a photographer for the first night game at Waldo Stadium, the home field of Western Michigan University. My flight path probably looked like this.

Helio Couriers are sometimes used instead of blimps for the overhead shots during the game. They can loiter slow enough most wouldn't know the difference.

This plane’s previous gig was in Green Bay, where the orbit was more circular. I’m guessing that in Iowa City they’re elongated the orbit to avoid overflying a couple of hospitals near the stadium.
IMG_7528.jpeg

I think they also use these things to relay from portable cameras.

I hope it was half left turns and half right turns to even it out.

What about the TFR?

The same plane N5387G repositioned to Minneapolis today. Probably for the Michigan-Minnesota college game tomorrow night on NBC. But if it stays an extra night it can watch the Chiefs at the Vikings.

I hope it was half left turns and half right turns to even it out.
Little known fact, that's why light aircraft tires are bias ply, not radial. So you can safely rotate them left/right to even out that "flying in left circles" wear.

Back