Turning Base

Do that once and you realize you’re dead meat if that happens at pattern altitude.

Well, Cub-like airplanes can do a full turn snapped spin and recover to level flight with no more than 400' of altitude loss, but you must let it come around a full turn rather than recovering right away after a half turn or so, the latter causing you to end up on your back with a long pull through to level flight. Of course, anyone with the skill and awareness to do this will not have accidentally stalled the airplane doing a plain base to final turn in the first place. And this is the crux of the value of being very current, comfortable, and competent with spins. Gain the skill and awareness so that you're less likely to ever need to use these skills at these altitudes. But this argument has been beaten up here plenty, with those who have little to no spin experience countering with the belief that stall avoidance training is all you need.

Well, Cub-like airplanes can do a full turn snapped spin and recover to level flight with no more than 400' of altitude loss, but you must let it come around a full turn rather than recovering right away after a half turn or so, the latter causing you to end up on your back with a long pull through to level flight. Of course, anyone with the skill and awareness to do this will not have accidentally stalled the airplane doing a plain base to final turn in the first place. And this is the crux of the value of being very current, comfortable, and competent with spins. Gain the skill and awareness so that you're less likely to ever need to use these skills at these altitudes. But this argument has been beaten up here plenty, with those who have little to no spin experience countering with the belief that stall avoidance training is all you need.

Does that include the "Oh crap" factor?

Question. Do you have separate pattern altitudes for turbine vs light aircraft in Canada? Here, 500 ft above my circuit altitude has me crossing right in front of a King Air on downwind. That’s the part I never understood about the whole cross at 500ft above entry.
As I mentioned in my first bullet, no, we don't. Circuit altitude 1,000 ft AGL for everyone. I think both the 45 deg entry and the different circuit/pattern altitudes are unique to the U.S. and its dependants.

Personally, standard rate seems like an awfully slow rate-of-turn in the pattern.
Yes, but as I mentioned earlier, planning around standard rate allows for two extra factors:
  1. Planes with higher wing loading and stall speeds.
  2. A crosswind blowing away from the runway.
My Vy is 80 KCAS, so a rate one turn is about a 13° bank. Even with a strong crosswind blowing me outwards, I'll have no trouble making ¾ nm downwind with a bank angle ≤20° (of course, I can bank more steeply than that and still make a ½ nm downwind, but we don't want to design our circuits/patterns so that they'll force everyone, including students, to do that).

5. I'm sure i will now get 234 posts critiquing this pattern. go for it.
View attachment 92669
You ought to at least get ONE! :) What you did is what "everybody" does—not go the full 2 miles out beyond the downwind before descending and, after that, turning (level) to enter downwind at a point half way down the runway. (See Fig 14-2). Consequently, you were descending into the pattern, a long-time admonition in the AIM, and doing it opposite the departure end of the runway near to where closed traffic may still be climbing to pattern altitude underneath your entry point. I don't like either of the two methods the FAA shows in the PHAK, especially the "other one", which I won't even mention other than to say at least Canadians are smart enough not to allow the 45° entry to coexist with it except at airports with a mandatory two-way radio requirement. Your flight track perfectly shows why I don't like the first one, i.e., nobody does it correctly.

Last edited:
I had 5 different instructors way back in 1999 when I was learning to fly. They all had their own style, but probably 70% of my time was spent with my favorite instructor Patty. Patty hated complacency, so no two patterns were the same on any given day. Some were starting turns before reaching the end of the runway, so it was not really turning base and finally, so much as 180 dgree continuous turn. Or she would make me come in hot, and side slip all the way down final, straighten out just before it was time to flare. Then it might be a mile final getting on a nice smooth glide slope all the way down. Then she would say okay half mile final, but touch down right on the two thousand foot markers. Then next time she would make me turn 3/4 mile past the runway, but say you have to land before the numbers. I was very blessed to have her as my instructor, she pushed me every time we went up, and threw me constant curve balls. I believe it made me a better pilot, able to decision make, on the spot, no matter what was going on. My favorite thing was the sudden cross country trip ideas, after we took off, and only had 1/3 tanks, and I wasn't allowed to add fuel...Decision time. Or her telling me fly straight toward the mountain bluff, and when you feel its the latest time you can safely turn, then turn base, and sure enough she knew that day it was the lee side, on a windy day, and there would be a down draft. I was full power, 45 degree bank to miss the mountain, and 300 fpm descent. She just smiled at me, and said "You dealt with that like a pro, no hesitation to go full power, and not sweating the sink rate, knowing once we got away from the mountain it would be better, that is being a true pilot". 95% of the instructors I see now only teach students how to pass the exam, but not really be a pilot. The exam is incredibly easy, way too easy IMHO.

Back