saddletramp
Line Up and Wait
- Joined
- Oct 15, 2015
- Messages
- 748
- Location
- Walla Walla. WA
- Display Name
- saddletramp
- Home Airfield
- ALW
Yesterday I did something I haven't done for years. I turned around & scrubbed a flight.
My wife, daughter, & I flew our 182 over the Cascade Mts to Easter dinner at the in-laws. It was a glass smooth, perfect 1.5 hour flight over. I knew a front was moving in but according to the forecast we could beat it home if we left late afternoon.
At 17:30 when we arrived at the departure airport I noticed the windsock was straight out & the wind was blowing straight across the runway. My thought was that the front must be a bit early. There was also a reported 10,000 ft overcast.
When we departed the air was gusty & rough. The vertical speed raced up & down. My intention was to climb to 9,500 & stay far above the mountain peaks along our route. At 5,500 ft I realized the bases were probably at 6,500. I knew I could go low & sneak through the Snoqualmie pass at 3,500 but again the air was rough. I also had two "new to general aviation passengers". If I had been solo I would have flown low through the pass no problem but did I want to scare my passengers with the all turbulence?
It was then I announced to my passengers that I was turning back. It was a hard decision to make since I've been through that pass low-level scores of times in my 40+ years of flying.
We landed & borrowed my father-in-laws spare vehicle & drove home. It took us 5 hours but we were safe.
Even though it was the best decision for my passenger's sake it still killed my ego.
Now, Friday, I have to go retrieve my airplane. Ego be damned.
My wife, daughter, & I flew our 182 over the Cascade Mts to Easter dinner at the in-laws. It was a glass smooth, perfect 1.5 hour flight over. I knew a front was moving in but according to the forecast we could beat it home if we left late afternoon.
At 17:30 when we arrived at the departure airport I noticed the windsock was straight out & the wind was blowing straight across the runway. My thought was that the front must be a bit early. There was also a reported 10,000 ft overcast.
When we departed the air was gusty & rough. The vertical speed raced up & down. My intention was to climb to 9,500 & stay far above the mountain peaks along our route. At 5,500 ft I realized the bases were probably at 6,500. I knew I could go low & sneak through the Snoqualmie pass at 3,500 but again the air was rough. I also had two "new to general aviation passengers". If I had been solo I would have flown low through the pass no problem but did I want to scare my passengers with the all turbulence?
It was then I announced to my passengers that I was turning back. It was a hard decision to make since I've been through that pass low-level scores of times in my 40+ years of flying.
We landed & borrowed my father-in-laws spare vehicle & drove home. It took us 5 hours but we were safe.
Even though it was the best decision for my passenger's sake it still killed my ego.
Now, Friday, I have to go retrieve my airplane. Ego be damned.
