turning a 150 cessna into a single seater

festers plane

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
fresters plane
has anyone ever taken out the 2 seats and the dual controls in the front of a cessna 150 to make it a single seater

You can create an STC for a conversion if you want to throw enough money at it. Not sure why one would want to bother on a 150.
just thought there are so many cheap 150's or 172's......cessna is a great plane....i just wanna jump from my pasture to my friends pasture 25 miles away.....land in the field

If you are wanting to gain some extra useful load when flying by yourself in the plane just pull the extra seat and update your weight and balance. Just needs a log entry. Removing the one set of controls wouldn’t be worth the effort.

Maybe he wants more elbow room.
thats just it....the cock pit is so cramped i thought remove the other seat....make it a single and theres plenty of room...i can get a 150 real cheap to try it on

Why can’t you do that with two seats (one empty) in the plane?
so that way when you walk up and look inside its a single with single controls youd think....theres something diffrent......and you got all the room you need in it now

so that way when you walk up and look inside its a single with single controls youd think....theres something diffrent......and you got all the room you need in it now
hey what about swapping out the old used up engine for a new one like a viking.......thats a honda engine

At least during the 1960s, dual controls (control wheel, pedals, toe brakes) were an optional-at-extra-cost item on the "Standard" trim level of the 150. You had to spring for the "Trainer" or "Commuter" equipment package to get dual controls included as standard equipment.

Check the equipment list on your airplane. A mechanic might be able to take the right-side controls out with only a logbook entry and W&B revision.

From the 1967 150G brochure:

1967_150_11.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe I’m not understanding. Are you wanting to replace both seats with a single seat in the center and then remove the flight controls and locate them in the center as well? If so, it would be cost prohibitive, legal issues aside. Not sure why one would want to do that.

Maybe I’m not understanding. Are you wanting to replace both seats with a single seat in the center and then remove the flight controls and locate them in the center as well? If so, it would be cost prohibitive, legal issues aside. Not sure why one would want to do that.
Yeah that’d be a LOT of work for very little reward. The 150 is basically a single seater as-is! :)

Why would he need an STC?
Another new member with an "interesting" thread.

Maybe not an STC but will need a field approval/337 at a minimum as any alteration to the control system is considered a major.

thats just it....the cock pit is so cramped i thought remove the other seat....make it a single and theres plenty of room...i can get a 150 real cheap to try it on
Some of us don't find the cockpit cramped - and if I did, I'd be hitting a diet seriously.

Some of us don't find the cockpit cramped - and if I did, I'd be hitting a diet seriously.
I found the cockpit of a 150 cramped with 160 lbs. of me, and a 140 lb. flight instructor, not to mention the marginal performance with that "load". Had to turn left down the river off of LUK 21 to avoid hitting Kentucky on a hot day ...

I knew a very large guy that owned a 150, and he called it his single seat airplane. Not sure how he flew it, but based on his size it had to be mostly in the middle. Maybe pushing on the leftmost and rightmost rudder pedals, and using whatever yoke was most comfortable?

I knew a very large guy that owned a 150, and he called it his single seat airplane. Not sure how he flew it, but based on his size it had to be mostly in the middle. Maybe pushing on the leftmost and rightmost rudder pedals, and using whatever yoke was most comfortable?
thats an idea

i
I found the cockpit of a 150 cramped with 160 lbs. of me, and a 140 lb. flight instructor, not to mention the marginal performance with that "load". Had to turn left down the river off of LUK 21 to avoid hitting Kentucky on a hot day ...
am 310...but not fat husky....40 inch waist .....big shoulders

i am just thinking why not take the cheapest 150 you can get strip the inside .....run it expermintal move all controls to center one seat in center......a spot for dog in back.....remember police academy the huge black guy ripped out the seat of the honda and sat in the back of it and drove.......its just what i thought when looking in a 150.....be a cool project to do

how cool is that.......never considered it but ill look at it....nice

It appears that you read his OP better than I did given his most recent post. I guess I read it with a bias towards him wanting to do something rationale, financially sound, and uncomplicated regulation wise.

He needs an old Piper Pawnee. Something that has some farm-field capability. A 150 will take forever to get off a grass field on a warm day. Pavement is bad enough.

i am just thinking why not take the cheapest 150 you can get strip the inside .....run it expermintal move all controls to center one seat in center......a spot for dog in back.....remember police academy the huge black guy ripped out the seat of the honda and sat in the back of it and drove.......its just what i thought when looking in a 150.....be a cool project to do

You can't just take a standard category aircraft and "run it experimental." The type of experimental most applicaable, experimental research and development, needed to do this puts some onerous operating restrictions and a time deadline after which the aircraft has to be returned to standard category. This isn't practical for most people who just want to do a major alteration without an existing STC.

Some people just like to tinker & mod. Here's one that's been heavily modified I saw in Utah last Fall. Lycoming 320 maybe? and check out the main gear assembly.View attachment 71076
I believe that if I was gonna do that much work to the main gear, I'd move it forward, and get rid of that nose wheel.

You guys can be some real Debbie downers sometimes. I probably doesn’t make any sense, but would you listen to people like you crap all over it if you had an idea?

Are those automotive ignition coils?
I have no idea, this was an A&P's hangar and he had all sorts of interesting stuff going on. The only thing I did recognize was nearly every 150 he had modded had Madras super droops on them - like it was his signature or something.

You guys can be some real Debbie downers sometimes. I probably doesn’t make any sense, but would you listen to people like you crap all over it if you had an idea?
If it's a dumb idea, my feelings might get hurt, but I might be grateful in the long run... or not be grateful, but still intact.

Back