Turned back

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
The weekend experience where I ended up turning back and heading home.

Worst part of it? was very much looking to a luxurious weekend with my girlfriend at one of my favorite fly-in places in Northern Cal.

Best part of it? she gave me many kudos on making the decision to go back.

Interesting aviation incident I witnessed en-route? read below.

Planned a weekend at Shelter Cove, with the deluxe suite at the Inn of the Lost Coast - it's the only one out there that will take pets, and I do love that place - and accompanied by two bags full of farmers market grub to cook together for dinner.

Weather seemed pretty nice, and reporting from NOAA said sunny. Shelter Cove cams seemed a little iffy when we left, but I've gotten in there in less than great conditions before often - even when it's "covered", there is always a decent hole or tear in the clouds close by to duck through and then fly under the marine layer to land. Heck, over there it can be more or less the normal MO.

Anyway, getting out the weather was gorgeous, but as we were flying along the coast for the last 20nm and I was looking down, I started getting a sinking feeling. Unlike what I typically see, which is the marine layer and the ocean peeking crisply underneath with about 800-1000 feet between them, this time it seemed like there was also fog under the layer, all the way to the water. Wisps of it, so I could still see fairly clearly, but pretty much all over. Not exactly what one wants to fly into.

Soldiered on, hoping that the cove will be better. It often is. Got there and could actually see the cove itself - the marine layer had receded somewhat -- so I was hoping I could find a way in. Flew right over and could see the strip. But that was it; the only hole around was right over the airport itself, which was pretty clear. That did not make me comfortable at all.

Went down for a closer look, made a couple of "go arounds" which basically consisted of flying right over the runway at several hundred feet looking around to see if I could find some way to make the approach and what it was like under the layer; the obvious solution if it's clear underneath would be to come in under the layer upwind to enter a low pattern and land that way. Nope. Fog, fog everywhere. Not heavy, can see through it, I'd be OK driving at 30 miles an hour, but trying to approach to land at 80? no effing way.

Gave it one last shot; I knew where the strip was, and I could see it coming in above the layer, so wondered if I could make a steep enough approach to land to make it work without entering the clouds. No go either. It was almost good enough, and someone more skilled than me could have done it, but it would have placed me on the ground a little past midway on a 3400ft strip with a downslope. Yes, I know the 182 can slow down rapidly, but if I didn't do this precisely, we'd be taking a bath off the edge. I'm just not that good.

As we were leaving someone got on the radio and said "we can hear you, the fog is all the way to the ground, no wind today to make it dissipate", and I told them that was my conclusion. Told my girlfriend I'm not good enough to make it in, and we're headed back home.

Her next comment, coming in about 30 seconds later, caught me by surprise: "actually, hon, I have to say, I think this makes you an even better pilot than I thought. Your decision makes me trust you so much more. We'll just have a fabulous weekend at home".

I couldn't find the words to answer that, because I was feeling like I had failed to some degree. Luckily I had to get on with Oakland to re-establish flight following. So there you go. I later asked her about this and she basically repeated it and saying she felt nervous and was glad when I decided it wasn't worth it, and even though she was disappointed we couldn't have our getaway.

As to the incident: when we got back to Concord, we were number 2 in the pattern for 32L. As we are turning base and he's on final, I look at my girlfriend and say "where is he going?". A couple of seconds later, with the guy maybe 50ft above ground, tower comes in rapidly and "switches" his runway to 32R - which is where he was actually headed into - and then tells me I am "number one for 32L". The other guy lands on 32R and his voice is a little flustered as he taxis off - headed right towards 32L where I am landing. I nervously reduce flaps to 20deg and "prime my hand" to go full throttle, because at this point I am unsure if he is going to just go across, but he ends up turning away on the correct taxiway and we land. Right after we touch ground controller contacts me to apologize for the confusion, I tell him no worries we're on top of things, and he comes back saying I can do pretty much whatever I want just let him know.

There were about six other planes converging in, including a bizjet on 32R. I think he was worried for a reason :wink2:

More than a couple of accident reports with this scenario, and results which showed poor judgment. You done good.

Shows he has good decision making, just look at the response from the GF.
Nice write up!
Thanks for sharing

Good job.

About the only time I venture into a less than VFR forcast is when I have nothing better to do (no where to be) and good escape routes, essentially test flying my weather ADM.

Nice bit dealing with the weather (and the numbnuts at CCR). But maybe you could have taken the GF to Garberville, Willits, Ukiah, Lampson (etc) or someplace else close by with better weather?

Nice bit dealing with the weather (and the numbnuts at CCR). But maybe you could have taken the GF to Garberville, Willits, Ukiah, Lampson (etc) or someplace else close by with better weather?

Well... the challenge is that we had the two dogs with us. Last minute arrangements post-landing anywhere else for both a rental and a hotel would have been difficult. We ended up having a fab weekend anyhow, and we'll try this again next month :)

Well... the challenge is that we had the two dogs with us. Last minute arrangements post-landing anywhere else for both a rental and a hotel would have been difficult. We ended up having a fab weekend anyhow, and we'll try this again next month :)

You make a good cross country pilot. Even if the weather strands you make lemon aid out of lemons. Life is an adventure! Flying is too!

Last edited:
Onwards,
Your attitude and awareness of risk has noticeably improved since your earlier posts of 2 years ago. Congratulations.

Last edited:
Good job.

About the only time I venture into a less than VFR forcast is when I have nothing better to do (no where to be) and good escape routes, essentially test flying my weather ADM.

I did that a few weeks ago. I was planning a trip from the Hartford area to the Hudson Corridor, but I scrapped it due to MVFR conditions all along the route. I decided to see what sort of decision I made, and I went flying locally around Hartford. I landed at BDL just for grins, but then skedaddled back to 4B8 because the rain showers over the city of Hartford increased in intensity as I was flying. I had some doubts as to the decision I made, but after taking that flight, I had zero doubts that I would never launch on a cross country in MVFR. Until I get my instrument rating, that is :).

Last edited:
Onwards,
You're attitude and awareness of risk has noticeably improved since your earlier posts of 2 years ago. Congratulations.

Thank you, appreciate the kind words. I'm not sure, and odd as it may sound, it seems like I am becoming more conservative with time in terms of flying, not less. I would expect the opposite - that as my skill grows, so would my willingness to attempt certain things. Instead, I find that while I am very comfortable doing some things - like flying in some types of marginal weather that are typical here (under the marine layer on otherwise clear days, using SVFR as necessary at CCR, mountain flying etc.) - I have also become a lot less comfortable trying unfamiliar things in challenging conditions. I think two years ago I might have seriously tried to actually land the plane this weekend.

Good job!

My only comment is to watch out for horizontal visibility in situations like that. What looks like a thin layer of ground fog that you can readily see through while you are at altitude ('cause it is maybe 20 feet thick), may become a viz 100 feet as you settle to the runway and flare.

-Skip

Well done. I've had to cancel more than one trip to EKA this year because of similar conditions.

Good job!

My only comment is to watch out for horizontal visibility in situations like that. What looks like a thin layer of ground fog that you can readily see through while you are at altitude ('cause it is maybe 20 feet thick), may become a viz 100 feet as you settle to the runway and flare.

-Skip

This ^^^^^

Good job!

-Skip

Gotcha. Yeah, that's what I was worried about, and why I decided against trying to do a low pattern anyway... it just didn't feel very comfy to try and navigate this light fog in an airplane running a pattern at 100-200 feet to the water, let alone putting it on the ground with all that's involved in doing that properly :wink2: My feeling - or maybe estimation - was that we would have made it most of the time... but not every time. That's sort of my threshold these days in terms of evaluating risk.

You did better than Ho Le Fuk and We Tu Lo who had CAVU conditions and an airliner. Heh. Pat yourself on the back. ;) :goofy:

KNow your limits, there are enough cowboys in the ground. Smart move and now your girl has more faith in you for future flights.

Back